• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question concerning Forum-avatars (Soliderpics)

I'm glad I hired a bunch of Italian reeactors and a professional photographer last march. We made a lot of Stalingrad related
pictures with actors to use in forum avatars and signatures.
It cost some but you get some.

As a sign of my unendless loyalty to this community I post the
link to this material at the end of this post.

I only have to deal with my grandmother as she is pissed now.
And same as Switchblade I like to knowm who's intelligence is
in doubt on this board.

Linky to material

Reactions: C_Gibby and vbloke
Upvote 0
Well I have one, my family is German and my Grandfather was in the Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front, but since this is a Infantry game, would be a bit silly to have a pilot as a picture.

Incidentally here is his picture, if anyone wants to use it as their avatar feel free I don't mind at all :)

For those interested the medal ribbons are in order:
Iron Cross 2nd Class, Winter Russia 41/42, Luftwaffe 4 Year Service, Austrian and then Sudetenland medals.
gradnm5dm0.jpg

Upvote 0
And who's inteligence exactly are you questioning? Be more specific please

Because I think the OP has a valid point, I always assumed the avatars were coming from movies etc, in which case I would not have any objection.

I said the average, I will not point out any specific user :p. However, take a look at the past 5 pages of threads, how much actual legitimate intelligent discussion has taken place about the game? not a lot. A lot of threads seem like they were created for the purpose of just creating a thread. For example, simple polls with what generally equates to YES/NO responses or talking about how the user is going to "pwn" everybody when the game comes out.

Getting back on topic, these pictures are already on the internet, and mostly public domain. If it was stolen from somebody and scanned onto the internet and their families REALLY had a problem with it they would have taken action to have it removed already.

All in all, this is such a petty issue. We are complaining about a picture used on a forum on the INTERNET.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Germany should focus on honoring their dead in the real world rather than complaining about a few miss uses of photographs on the internet. Maybe build some proper monuments and statues remember your heroes rather than the odd plack here and there. It's a pity Germany pushes it's history in a box and marks it evil then tries to forget.

I don't know about other units, but I am trying to honor these fallen heroes from the 305th Infantrie Division in my own way. I read about them to learn of their hardship and struggle during their various battles. I am trying to keep their memories alive in doing so. I don't believe these men would mind me uses their imagine because I am not trying in insult them in anyway and have the deepest respect for what they and their counterparts had to endure.

I would not mind people using photo's of my great grand fathers during the Great War or during the Irish Civil War, As long as they use them with respect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well would you like to have your dead relative's, who fought in the war, picture running around as a forum avatar here? :rolleyes:

OP makes a good observation... :D

Shout out to Nebsif

My uncle fought on the front lines in 44 (he's still alive)

I wouldn't really care, in fact it would make me a little bit proud if I knew he was in the picture and that other people were seeing it rather than it wasting away in a box in an attic.

But I can't say I haven't thought about the issue (I often mull over morality) before this thread was created. I however won't be quite as bold as the OP by starting an argument over the issue.

And regarding the OP's point about the soldier himself; for all we know, and it's reasonable to assume, that some of the soldiers would like to be remembered in some fashion; not specifically as killing machines.

Question to the OP: Do you think it's dishonorable that historical battle reenactors often represent actual soldiers? I mean it's just a silly "game" of men marching around in the sun playing soldier.

Edit: Let me make it clear that my uncle certainly wouldn't like his picture on here because 1. He is humble and doesn't think he needs to be honored and 2. He hates video games and everything new

p.s. I don't think this thread should stay open much longer pps. I see topic was moved...carry on

Last edited:
Upvote 0
legally most of those pictures are public domain.

That's hard to say. We can assume a lot of these photos were found on the Internet, but that doesn't necessarily make them public domain. According to US law, photos taken before 1923 are public domain. After, it may or may not still be under copyright (def under copyright until 2002, and maybe after).

That said, the copyright holder is NOT the subject of the photograph (the soldier), but the photographer. Also, typically, photos taken in public places (streets, etc) do not require permission by the subject for editorial purposes.

Now, using the likeless of somebody can fall under issues if used for commercial purposes (are you making money off the photo?). You're OK if these are used under "fair use" such as editorial, satire, or art.

I'm no lawyer, so don't quote me on this. This is just my general understanding. And this is based on US law, which if I'm not mistaken - wasn't exactly being enforced anywhere the Wehrmacht was.

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
That's hard to say. We can assume a lot of these photos were found on the Internet, but that doesn't necessarily make them public domain. According to US law, photos taken before 1923 are public domain. After, it may or may not still be under copyright (def under copyright until 2002, and maybe after).

Good thing I don't live in the US. ;)

Upvote 0
Getting back on topic, these pictures are already on the internet, and mostly public domain. If it was stolen from somebody and scanned onto the internet and their families REALLY had a problem with it they would have taken action to have it removed already.

All in all, this is such a petty issue. We are complaining about a picture used on a forum on the INTERNET.

now that's a valid point, but you could have posted it without commenting on the users in general

and like it or not, complaining is linked to forums on the internet :rolleyes:

Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0
I'm glad I hired a bunch of Italian reeactors and a professional photographer last march. We made a lot of Stalingrad related
pictures with actors to use in forum avatars and signatures.
It cost some but you get some.

As a sign of my unendless loyalty to this community I post the
link to this material at the end of this post.

I only have to deal with my grandmother as she is pissed now.
And same as Switchblade I like to knowm who's intelligence is
in doubt on this board.

Linky to material
109a-Stalingrad-Wehrmacht-Ostfront.jpg

Hasn

Upvote 0
Can't say I'd ever do it.

I had an avatar of Subcommandante Marcos for a good while, but that's mostly because his pictures are all for show anyway. And who doesn't think smoking a pipe while wearing a balaclava is cool? :p He also didn't die in WW2 or any of that.

Personal portraits as avatars kinda bother me the most, since they weren't taken for propaganda use or whatever, more for themselves and families. I'd have to say if you use anything, at least grab something out of an image that was clearly staged for public viewing.

Upvote 0
I personally wouldn't mind anyone using my military family members' pictures as avatars. It would make me honored! :D

If someone came along and said the picture I was using was their grandfather/great uncle/etc. and they didn't want me to use it, I would gladly take it down with no objection.

When I see the avatars of past soldiers, it reminds me to think about what they went through in the horrors of war so that we could live in a little more peace today. In my opinion, it honors their memory and sacrifice. But as is apparent with this thread, everyone has their own opinions on the matter.

Well I have one, my family is German and my Grandfather was in the Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front, but since this is a Infantry game, would be a bit silly to have a pilot as a picture.

Incidentally here is his picture, if anyone wants to use it as their avatar feel free I don't mind at all :)

For those interested the medal ribbons are in order:
Iron Cross 2nd Class, Winter Russia 41/42, Luftwaffe 4 Year Service, Austrian and then Sudetenland medals.
Damn, he is decorated! You must be proud to have him as your grandfather!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I just think it's a cool picture, that's why I have it. Doesn't really matter if it's German or not.

But I agree that when it comes to people having portraits of specific persons, like in nebsif's picture, it's starting to get a bit weird. Not necessarily disresepctful, just.. odd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0