• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] 19 year old soviet gunner destroyed 8 Tiger tanks.

Ordinary soldier

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Hello! This is something I just saw on TV on russian documentary -and immediately searched it on the internet and found it there too even more detailed: a story about 19 year old gunner of 76 mm anti-tank gun Mikhail Borisov that destroyed 7 Tiger tanks alone after his comrades have died, and damaged another one.

Here is the whole story

Герой Советского Союза Михаил Борисов - YouTube

I am not russian but since I understand it and cam write it in english I thought about making a text translation and posting it here, but it will take
some time so the most important part from
5:12 on the video:

Narator: And so it comes the morning of 11 july 1943, when 19 "Tigers" are oposed by only 4 guns.(canons). The battery is saved because the smoke from the fires covered our fighters from the germans.

Hero: Such a curtain /from the smoke/, we managed to set the canons, shells (2 words I cant understand his voice is very weak-he says about setting the vehicles along with the canons or something else)
And so the first salvo, and I see how these machines (again cant hear him well), and stone fell away from my heart, when I saw, because it tirned out that these extolled machines were on fire. (this sentence end in 5:48 in the video)
Narator: after this first salvo the battery was found. The german tanks return fire. They are supported by german mortar battery. From the air the position is being attacked by two Messerchmits (Bf 109 german fighters for those who dont know). ONe after another the canons are disabled and rendered useless; soldiers are killed and injured one afther another.
Hero: and when the last canon went silent, (cant hear 3 words well) I ran, I could see injured and killed on the spot; I rotated the handle-everything worked correctly, there was shell loaded in the canon, aimed at the tank, fired, then I ran for another round, and they were far away, (the boxes), and again, a successful shot, and then again I ran, and I hear a bang from behind.

Narator: Then two other soldiers come to help Boris, but after few shots they are heavily wounded. The seargant is again left alone. ON the battery position advance tanks from the SS division "The Dead Head"
The " Tigers' " crews are formed by specialy selected officers. And this armada of excellent trained and armed personel is being opposed by 19 year old lad.

Hero: (this is almost impossible for me to understand his voice is weak and the editor did not lower the volume of the background of the explosion, anyway here is what i heard: "You know only one thing: that if you dont man the canon. THere is no one else there at all."

If someone russian can listen to this carefuly, ( I do with my $60 philips hi-fi headphones and still cant hear it well to translate it for you, please help with transtalion of this sentence.

Narator: The alone artylery operator continues the fight with the fascist tanks. He does the impossible. In one fight he destroys 7 "Tigers". The eight tank is headed straight to Boris's canon.

Boris (Hero): I very roughly pointed the barrel to the turret, and pressed the trigger.
(again cant hear first word) "But such an armor, my turret could not penetrate. He fired at the very same time, may be just a moment after me. The shell went strainght into the canon, and everything bursted in flames, (two words cant hear) only thing that left in my memories was that I was lying, wounded, and the sky, the blue blue sky...not a single cloud and there flies the wheel of my cannon and quickly, quickly spins.

Narator: Mihail had luck. The fight was watched by the corps' commander
His order was the wounded artylery operator to be rescued under the enemy fire, and transported to hospital.
On the 10th of January 1944 Mihail Borisov, for uneven fight with the "Tigers", is awarded Hero of the Soviet Union.
After the hospital Borisov returns to his batallion and takes part in the liberation of Ukraine and Poland. The end of the war, leitenant borisow sees in Berlin, signing at the wall of the Reichstag.

I end my translation here, the time in the video was 9:54

In the other video I watched on the TV documentary he says that he destroyed only 7 and a half tank, because the last tank he stopped was not destroyed but only damaged.
Interesting facts: the last tank was stopped arround 50 meters from his canon.
According to his words after the shot at the turret, the tank was not destoyed but failed to continue his movement. He says that it was only damaged (that why he says he destroyed only 7.5 Tigers.)

I hope that you enjoy reading my translation, I did as much as I could and sorry if any typos :p

Some info from russian wikipedia ( you can use google translate)
<a href="http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%B2,_%D0%9C%D0%B8%D1%85%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BB_%D0%A4%D1%91%D0%B4%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87" target="_blank">http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Борисов,_Михаил_Фёдорович

;):IS2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kapulA
Soviet propaganda...hmm, is there any OTHER kind? :p

How dare those stinking commies suggest that any of their subhumans could ever defeat even ONE of the mighty examples of Aryan technology in a straight fight? I bet they used underhand tactics to get the drop on the brave, manly, handsome and virile defenders of the free world (whom history has misinterpreted as evil invaders of sovereign territory). :rolleyes:

Oh lord, the parallels are TOO delicious.

Incidentally, I once helped out in the making of a documentary for Bovington tank museum about another famous Tiger killer, Joe Ekins - though, to this day it is not 100% clear if it was he or a Canadian tank of the Sherborne Fusiliers just down the road that killed Wittmann. I believe the USAF also claimed the kill, though the only confirmed kill they got that day was a friendly half-track. (Some things never change).

We got invited into the barn of a French farmer who showed us his collection of debris from the campaign. It included something that was clearly the turret ring of a Tiger. There is no way of knowing if it was Wittmann's though his farm is the closest to the site where the wrecked Tiger was found.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Soviet propaganda...hmm, is there any OTHER kind? :p

How dare those stinking commies suggest that any of their subhumans could ever defeat even ONE of the mighty examples of Aryan technology in a straight fight? I bet they used underhand tactics to get the drop on the brave, manly, handsome and virile defenders of the free world (whom history has misinterpreted as evil invaders of sovereign territory). :rolleyes:

Oh lord, the parallels are TOO delicious.
pix.gif

smallest-violin.jpg

Incidentally, I once helped out in the making of a documentary for Bovington tank museum about another famous Tiger killer, Joe Ekins - though, to this day it is not 100% clear if it was he or a Canadian tank of the Sherborne Fusiliers just down the road that killed Wittmann. I believe the USAF also claimed the kill, though the only confirmed kill they got that day was a friendly half-track. (Some things never change).

We got invited into the barn of a French farmer who showed us his collection of debris from the campaign. It included something that was clearly the turret ring of a Tiger. There is no way of knowing if it was Wittmann's though his farm is the closest to the site where the wrecked Tiger was found.
I've read of this story as well. Very interesting see both sides of the arguments.

Hurray for the Soviets, what a excellent report to present to our glorious leader Stalin, say, did you also marry your dearest love in the process? no? Ah well, we'll scrap that part then.
My point exactly.

Upvote 0
On a more serious note,

toyed around with this little program: http://www.wwiiequipment.com/pencalc/#

There's types of ammo who will penetrate to about 500 meters for 76mm, do we know what he used?

7 Tigers lost in one single action due to a single pesky anti tank gun, just very unlikely that there's no reports on the German side. If it is true, then it is a shame that German High Command did not get to know this, otherwise they might have dumped the whole super duper heavy tank concept.

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
I bet that if he was american or whatever you would say it was not propaganda but truth? I have no reason to beleive its fake, I own a book called "Heroes of the USSR" but I think its only about guys that took part in the battles for Ukraine. ( will check it out anyway) It was not an ordinary anti tank gun, the ordinary soviet antitank guns were ZiS-6 45 mm in the begining of the video when he enlisted he worked on that gun but then was moved on the 76 mm guns
(I dont know the model-not mentioned in the video)
But I am almost 100 percent sure that the same guns were mounted on the T 34 tank, because it was a common practice with germans and soviets to mount stationary guns on the tanks and vice-versa.

I think that the only thing that saved him was the smoke as they say, because without smoke the Tiger commander would have spotted them too early and destroyed them.
I also forgot to mention that the documentary I watched on TV was shot may be later (I dont know), there they say that the leader told the gunners to hold fire until the Tigers are 500 meters or less because otherwise it would be useless and only give away their position.

I am sorry but that is all the information I have for now if I find something else I will post. ;)

and a quote from forum I just googled

Artilleryman Mikhail Borisov will be joining us for our visit to the Kursk
battlefields. Borisov was made hero of the Soviet Union for his courage at the
great tank battle at Prokhorovka, where he knocked out nine advancing Tigers, and is candid about the terror induced by the German tanks.
But here they mistaken the number its not 9 but 8.

And I just found out that he passed away on 9th March (2010) that explains why the latest video I found is from september 2011. May he rest in peace.

At last found the other video. But I wont trasnlate it because of the "huge" interest shown by the audience
Подвиг Михаила Борисова. Курская дуга - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Totenkopf tank losses from 5.7. - 16.7. 1943:

2 Panzer III
8 Panzer IV
1 Tiger
1 Stug

Source: "Das deutsche Reich und der zweite Weltkrieg Band 8" page 152

Totenkopf tank stock on 1.7.43

63 Panzer III (long)
8 Panzer IV (short)
44 Panzer IV (long)
15 Panzer VI
9 Befehlspanzer

Source: "Die deutsche Panzertruppe Band 2" by Thomas Jentz

Upvote 0
I bet that if he was american or whatever you would say it was not propaganda but truth? I have no reason to beleive its fake, I own a book called "Heroes of the USSR" but I think its only about guys that took part in the battles for Ukraine.
We were the prince of propaganda, but the Soviets were king. If there is a "Soviet Hero Story," most chances are it's grossly blown out of proportion or just a blatant lie that they never had the sophistication or the intelligence to give a good cover for.

Americans have their own blown out of proportion stories of WWII just as the Soviets do, like the Malmedy Massacre. I just don't post them because it's obvious they are not true or a very large stretch of the truth.

Upvote 0
On a more serious note,

toyed around with this little program: <a href="http://www.wwiiequipment.com/pencalc/#" target="_blank">http://www.wwiiequipment.com/pencalc/#

There's types of ammo who will penetrate to about 500 meters for 76mm, do we know what he used?

7 Tigers lost in one single action due to a single pesky anti tank gun, just very unlikely that there's no reports on the German side. If it is true, then it is a shame that German High Command did not get to know this, otherwise they might have dumped the whole super duper heavy tank concept.

Chillax man. No need to get your Tiger pajamas in a twist.

It's far more likely that Soviet sources misidentified Panzer IV Ausf. Gs with the side and turret skirts as Tiger Is. It's widely known that Soviet journalists and soldiers often mistook upgraded Panzer IVs for Tigers, which is largely responsible for Soviet boasts of having destroyed so many. Could be that this brave soldier simply knocked out seven Panzer IVs, a feat no less admirable if it occured.

Also, records about tank losses at Kursk are notoriously incomplete. David M. Glantz had an excellent tables and figures section in his book about the battle, but the margins of uncertainty are high.

And Soviet propaganda may be dastardly, whether it's an account of Zaytsev, Matrosov, or this Borisov, but four fifths of the German Army was lost in the East, with the number of Austrian, Hungarian, and Romainian casualties alone far exceeding those suffered by the United States. So maybe Zaytsev only shot twenty Germans. Maybe Matrosov never existed. Maybe Borisov made up everything. Maybe Kolobanov's KV-1 only destroyed five and not 22 German tanks. But one thing is certain: mud, disease, and winter alone did not kill several million Axis soldiers.

I love military history, and the German Army was a splendid fighting machine, but by God sometimes the Heer love is just a too much. I once saw a documentary clip of IL-2s on Youtube attacking a German armored column with twice as many dislikes as likes and people arguing about the footage's authenticity... as though IL-2s NEVER ever, ever so much as touched the holy armor of the Wehrmacht. :rolleyes:

Americans, Chinese, Japanese, French, Brits, Canadians, Germans, Russians, Finns, Poles, Hungarians, Italians, etc... they all lost some and won some, suffered some crimes and committed others, and fielded both heroes and villains. All sides blatantly trumpeted propaganda before, during, and after the war. Skepticism is good, even laudable, but it should be applied equally to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
TL/DR version.

Ah I see you agree with me in some way, must've been tough Nikita, real tough.
You like my signature by the way?

Too long, didn't read, eh? Ah, but of course, you only read what you want to believe.

Yes, my signature can be construed as "pro-Soviet". I assure you, however, I keep an open mind. I want to see a proper HHL and Luger in-game just as much as I'd like to see an M38 carbine. I watched Stalingrad, Cross of Iron, and Das Boot just as I watched Brest Fortress, The Star, and Enemy at the Gates, and I freely declare that I enjoyed the German films more. In-game, I type out "For the Motherland" as a Soviet and "For the Fatherland" as a German. Now, how often do you play as a Soviet?

Pointing out a possible explanation was not tough for me in the slightest.

Upvote 0
Apologies for pouring kerosene on the fire, but...

I'm interested in the Soviets and the Germans equally when it comes to the eastern front but why is it that stereotypically, Soviet fanboys always seem to be from Russia/Eastern europe and/or posting drunk (fractured spelling, grammar, brimming with confidence, etc) and Nazi fanboys have sticks up their arses?

Again, stereotypically. Like, Nikita's posts are just about perfect in terms of writing, but it's just a trend I've noticed here on this site, as well as others.

Upvote 0