• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server 101 questions about servers.

[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
1. Will ROO server be availiable before the main release so us admins can configure servers for release night?

The server release will of course be available prior to the client release.
Will server owners need to contact you to get this download, or will it be public?

Btw: Linux server would be a big advantage, anyone serious about their gameservers use linux.

Upvote 0
Ghadafi said:
Will server owners need to contact you to get this download, or will it be public?

Btw: Linux server would be a big advantage, anyone serious about their gameservers use linux.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39245873,00.htm
I don’t know but we are going windows this time for our server. And from my personal experience, we have 7 other game servers running with different hardware configurations, different games etc, but I've found windows to be waaay more stable. Yes, it requires some extra hardware resources, but it is a minor flaw comparing to all those advantages, like remote control is a cake, for me it's important, considering I’m 2000km away from those bloody servers:D

Upvote 0
spraduke said:
there are 3rd party programs that allow u to use remote desktop for linux
I use Putty and mc (most of the time) while working with linux/unix based systems (so I can do it on the go, while at work or even at the library computer), and even very old unix systems (liked 1999 builds) work fine, but you cant compare a command line with a full remote control management system. At least if you dont consider working with the CL as a sign of 1337es

:D

Upvote 0
vonRas said:
I use Putty and mc (most of the time) while working with linux/unix based systems (so I can do it on the go, while at work or even at the library computer), and even very old unix systems (liked 1999 builds) work fine, but you cant compare a command line with a full remote control management system. At least if you dont consider working with the CL as a sign of 1337es

CLI is not 133t, its just faster :p

Upvote 0
vonRas said:

A commandline IS a full remote control management system. What you want is the ability to click on buttons. And when you really get into the down-n-dirty hardcore windows sysadmin duties you fire up a cmd shell. Not because it's 1337, but because it works much better. How many times have users been frustrated because they can't browse for a network share or windows is telling you that you already have a share mounted (but the explorer doesn't show it) and "net use" saves your bacon?

Upvote 0