• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hunting Shotgun needs buff

ohh i was not aware of this. this wep sounds better and better on paper...how much dmg does a point blank aa12 do compare to point blank alt fire HS round?

Well looking at the damage table at KF wiki, a hunting shot gun will do up to 480-600 damage with the alt fire, while the AA12 does 150 (both base damage without perk), so 3-4 shots.

Upvote 0
In fact, all shotguns do less damage and nearly no penetration at 0 range. Not sure if this is a bug or not. If you are around 1 meter away from the zed, you can do max dmg with shotguns.

Also, huntty can clear a quite big group of anything below bloats (or the bloat is in the front) with alt fire. However, it sucks againsts scrakes and fps. Even on solo suicidal, you need 3 alt fires to drop a fp.

Your best choice is stay a bit in front of the team. Hold your fire unless anything get close enough to like 5 steps away. If large groups of zed is nearing, pull out your huntty and alt fire once. Nothing small is there anymore:). Sometimes you can step in and instan-kill some husk or sirens before they attack. And that's all. If you team can get everything far enough for you to shoot, don't try anything stupid like running into the zeds to get some kills, and dont shoot anything far away.

That's what support does. I often found myself healing teamates more than shooting as a support AND THIS IS GOOD THING.

Upvote 0
haha i play hard mode and i guess ive just grown accustomed to a sort of offensive aa12 role. I usually get the top of the leaderboard each match actually. The gun is just too dam good at what it does!

The aa12 can be quite a beast. Its just the ammo which is the problem.
Personally, I can see the reason behind a shotty/aa12 combo. However, I forget; can a lvl6 support hold both a shotgun and an aa12? That allows shotty use for most zeds, and then when the sh*t hits the fan, you break out automatic.

Upvote 0
never buy ammo for the hunting, always sell and rebuy
Is that still true!? I know this was fixed for the xbow and assumed it would be fixed for other weapons too...

I think the biggest problem in handling the HS is the luck factor - it's so random that after a few bad experiences some people just get this visceral aversion to it and the morale loss outstrips any numerical advantage it ought to have.

But then, I personally hate using all the shotguns so this could just be me.

Upvote 0
The aa12 can be quite a beast. Its just the ammo which is the problem.
Personally, I can see the reason behind a shotty/aa12 combo. However, I forget; can a lvl6 support hold both a shotgun and an aa12? That allows shotty use for most zeds, and then when the sh*t hits the fan, you break out automatic.
When I was a level 3 Support Man, I was able to carry a shotgun and the AA12, now as a Level 4 I can carry the shotgun, AA12 and pipe bombs. I can't hold a HS and an AA12 at the same time so I just go for the regular shotgun/aa12 combo, but I try to use them as efficiently as possible and almost never run out of ammo for either. So far it's a really fun class to play. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I was a level 3 Support Man, I was able to carry a shotgun and the AA12, now as a Level 4 I can carry the shotgun, AA12 and pipe bombs. I can't hold a HS and an AA12 at the same time so I just go for the regular shotgun/aa12 combo, but I try to use them as efficiently as possible and almost never run out of ammo for either. So far it's a really fun class to play. :D

Yeah, support was my original perk. Although it's been a while, I still remember how awesome that perk is.

Upvote 0
Is that still true!? I know this was fixed for the xbow and assumed it would be fixed for other weapons too...

I think the biggest problem in handling the HS is the luck factor - it's so random that after a few bad experiences some people just get this visceral aversion to it and the morale loss outstrips any numerical advantage it ought to have.

But then, I personally hate using all the shotguns so this could just be me.

I have no idea about that ammo thing- I thought I read somewhere it depends on what level you are and how much ammo you have left.

Personally I was at first against using the hunting shot gun because I was trying to use it like just like the pump-action. I was attacking stuff from too far away, using way too much ammo the gun just seemed to be totally ineffective. I was more effective with the AA12 because its range was closer to the pump action, so I just skipped the hunting shotgun and went for the big guy. The reason why people don't like the hunting shot gun isn't because of luck I think, it is because initially you are going to use it just like a regular shotgun, but it actually requires different tactics to use effectively.

Also at lower levels you have to choose between the three shotguns you want to use- and if you are using just the hunting shotgun you are going to be burning through more cash to use it since you have to use it to take out everything. The hunting shot gun becomes far more useful at level 4 when you can use it with the pump action shotgun, but by then I think many players are stuck on the pump action and AA12.

Upvote 0
noob question. are there any supports who DONT recommend using 2 shotties whenever possible? Because honestly i never even thought of a shotgun/aa12 combo...I have always used aa12 + mac10/deagles etc. never two shotties.

So basically, is a shotgun as a side arm more effective then duel deagles/mac10?
Actually on mission maps i mule weapons when i'm support. After all a level 6 support can carry 10 weapons.

What don't believe me? I'll count it off

9mm, knife, grenade, 3 weapons -1 block total
Katana, Machete, 2 weapons - 6 blocks total - 7/24
2x Handcannons, 2 weapons - 4 blocks total - 11/24
M79, 1 weapon - 4 blocks - 15/24
SCAR, 1 weapon - 5 blocks - 20/24
MP7, 1 weapon - 3 blocks - 23/24

3+2+2+1+1+1=10 Weapons, 1+6+4+4+5+4=23

There you go =D

So i end up carrying extra guns for my teammates, an extra mac-10 for firebugs, extra scar commandos, M79 for demo, Handcannon for sharpshooters, MP7 because i love it. and since i'm carrying all these weapons at once, i can refill each of them from the same ammo box. WOOOO!

Upvote 0