• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Manual bolting?

I don't see why you should have to 'run the risk' of bolting as if it's some major endeavour. There's no reason if I bolt while sighted that I should be forced to hold the rifle up the face and be locked into walking for the duration of the animation. As we've heard the Tripwire guys say before, they want to make the things that are easy to do in real life easy to do in-game. If that's the case, then I really should be able to interrupt that animation if a grenade lands by my feet. Taking away player control is just frustrating, and at the end of the day it just feels clunky.

Ramm stated before that manual bolting will be slightly faster than auto, so there's the advantage.

I get what you're saying.

Let's say you do interrupt your cycle as you're using auto bolting, have a melee fight, whatever - how do you initiate cycling a round again? By having manually bolting control anyway...

I'd be surprised to see interruptable reload/bolt animations - it'd be cool to see them especially with automatics - but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Let's say you do interrupt your cycle as you're using auto bolting, have a melee fight, whatever - how do you initiate cycling a round again? By having manually bolting control anyway...

I'd be surprised to see interruptable reload/bolt animations - it'd be cool to see them especially with automatics - but I doubt it.

Iirc Ramm mentioned Interuptable Reloads in an interview, i dunno if its was liked to implement or already implemented, those little differences.

Upvote 0

Even then, you really wouldn't need a manual bolt function. The next round would simply be cycled as soon as you stop doing whatever it is that interrupted the animation. So, the bolt animation starts and a grenade lands next to me. I hit sprint and interrupt the animation and get the hell away. As soon as I stop sprinting and the weapon comes back into view the next round is cycled. Same thing with melee, same thing with changing weapons. Like I said, it worked absolutely fine in something like Call of Duty. I really think making manual bolting an absolute necessity is just complicating things for the sake of it.

Upvote 0
No, that's not what I meant at all. It's painfully simple. As soon as you stop whatever you're doing that interrupted the animation (e.g. sprinting) the bolting animation would then play again as normal. So, to make this clear as possible - you fire a shot with your rifle, and begin to cycle the next round. You interrupt the animation by switching to your sidearm. When you switch back to your rifle the bolting animation would begin again and the next round would be chambered. No extra buttons or functions required.

Upvote 0
No, that's not what I meant at all. It's painfully simple. As soon as you stop whatever you're doing that interrupted the animation (e.g. sprinting) the bolting animation would then play again as normal. So, to make this clear as possible - you fire a shot with your rifle, and begin to cycle the next round. You interrupt the animation by switching to your sidearm. When you switch back to your rifle the bolting animation would begin again and the next round would be chambered. No extra buttons or functions required.

Ah, that's how. Sounds good, I assume stabbing with bayonet cancels animation as well?

Upvote 0
I wonder if any collector here can tell me if the pouches or however they were named carrying the ammo clips had any metallic parts, cause I would really love to have sounds of your hand shuffling those pouches when reaching for a new clip/magazine but if they were all leather or cloth I suppose you wouldn't hear anything in a battle.

Generally I would like to hear lots of quite, subtle sounds coming from your equipment, especially when changing stances.

Back on the topic though, I agree that when taking a new magazine should be more than just your hand disappearing from the screen and right after that a magazine materializes in your hand and you bring it back up. I don't expect to see your hand opening your pouches when you look down, that's why I want such sounds to be in the game.

Have a few period items, for ammo some cloth and some leather. You dont want to metal on metal to make noise for obvious reasons. :D

Perhaps when we throw ourselves on he groud in dive to prone we make a some noise crashing into the dirt.

Upvote 0
speaking of reloading from a stripper clip. if the shells are all loaded PROPERLY into the stripper they can be pushed into the rifle with the thumb on the top round very easily. The trick for rimmed cartridges is to put the lip of the rim on top of the lip of the one beneath it, they then easily slip down into the magazine. with rimless (k98k) cartridges this isnt a problem to the best of my knowlege.

Upvote 0