• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What type of maps would you like to see

What type of maps would you like to see

• Infantry only

Votes: 160 41.9%
  • Vehicle only

Votes: 66 17.3%
  • Combined Arms

Votes: 299 78.3%

• Total voters
If you keep treating new players as though they're not worthy of playing the game, you're not going to get very many new players.

Also what gives anyone the right to say that "X" is too crap to be playing a certain role?Why should another person be given the role?
If i was playing and i was forced to change role because some other(insert favourite derogatory name here) thinks they are better than me then i would soon stop playing.I for one have a life and a job and kids so can't spend hours playing games and getting leete so am i forever meant to be a bolter?
If so you can stick you game guys.

Upvote 0
On "RO1" I found infantry only usually boring same old stuff all over again which was not helped by some of those very small (8 vs 8) custom maps being played on 50 servers which was just a giant frag, smg, and artillery fest.
I really liked combined arms maps such as RO-Pavlov's house, RO-Gorlitz,RO-Kreigstadt, RO-Pariserplatz, RO-those AHZ maps, DH-Stoumount, and DH-Stavelot. I think most people would agree that combined arms maps are probably the best type of map which makes the majority of players happy although there is one flaw on some of these bigger maps that would really add to the map the spawn areas. I think you should be able to spawn in areas that are under your teams control ( in captured obj) and the ability to ride on tanks would help as well and not have or encourage ill usage of HTs on maps.
Tank only maps are awesome if you are a tank fan which a good number of Ro players are or perhaps were as was seen for example on RO-Orel which was a classic and was played on many servers since it came-out and probably has the most variance of any map except perhaps RO-Arad (lol). It was quite fun to get on and coordinate attacks over the microphone (several years ago anyway) having your team keep the tanks together in little battle groups, frustrate the enemy by blowing their bridges as well as taking them out from 800-1000 meters and pushing them back across their side of the river as you mop up any stragglers and cap the last cap zone.
My only complaint about these large tank maps is the lack of realistic tanking in RO1 which detracted from the experience anyone who has played RO-Debrecen (or a similar tank map) with the Armored Beasts mod knows how awesome tanking can be. I loved using the Panther and blasting the IS-2 to shreds at long range with a nice clean hit on the weakly armored turret front and mantlet something that was not modeled in the stock version of RO.

-TT33 avid tanker-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure this has been said a billion times by now. Gorlitz style, specifically the lack of nades. Yes, its unrealistic, but it really improves how players work together and stay behind cover and provide covering fire. Gorlitz is and effective map because the battle keeps moving and feels fresh, unlike some maps where you always fight over the same 2 or 3 damned capzones. Also, just straight port leningrad ;). Well balanced CA maps can be very fun, but they need to provide infantry with enough cover. From having played DH I think that maps where there are two distinct teams (within a single team) work quite well (in fact I find many of those maps more fun that stock RO maps) since they combine the progress style of gorlitz with the "choice" you make between going to one capzone or another in the 2/3 damned capzone maps.

Upvote 0
Voted combined - But surely it's possible to not include vehicles like you can choose how many in a class to allow.

That way map makers can decide to include or exclude as they choose and server owners can run infantry only or tank only or whatever.

More choice ultimately equals more servers surely ?

Upvote 0
I hope we will see all 3 but that you can filter servers based on the maps.

Basically dividing maps into 4 categories.

- Infantry only
- Infantry focussed combined arms
- tanks only
- tank focussed combined arms

So that in the server browser you can filter out servers that for instance have tank only maps in rotation. Or filter out infantry only maps if you want some tanking action.

Both infantry as tanking got its charm, but the game play when tanking is so different from an infantry focussed map to a vehicle focussed map. That I would prefer to join a tanking focussed server when I feel like tanking, and an infantry focussed server when I want to play infantry.

Preferably all through the convenience of filters in the server browser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope we will see all 3 but that you can filter servers based on the maps.

Basically dividing maps into 4 categories.

- Infantry only
- Infantry focussed combined arms
- tanks only
- tank focussed combined arms

So that in the server browser you can filter out servers that for instance have tank only maps in rotation. Or filter out infantry only maps if you want some tanking action.

Both infantry as tanking got its charm, but the game play when tanking is so different from an infantry focussed map to a vehicle focussed map. That I would prefer to join a tanking focussed server when I feel like tanking, and an infantry focussed server when I want to play infantry.

Preferably all through the convenience of filters in the server browser.

Map filters and prefixes like in most source games is a must IMO.

eg.

ca_Ogledow
te_Blackdayjuly
de_danzig

3 prefixes is really enough though. CA is the widest variety of map styles so you cant really organize it. Look at Berezina, only 2,3 tanks per side but I'd still call it a tank map since they control the map so completely.

Upvote 0
a mapper would be able to decide if he wants the map to be infantry focussed or vehicle focussed. The thing is, that a CA map such as Koningsplatz and Leningrad are completely different in the playing pace and style from maps such as Arad or Ogledow.

In both Koningsplatz as Leningrad the tanks play a critical role. However the pacing of the gameplay for the infantry is like regular infantry maps. If I feel like playing infantry maps I do not want to play a map like Arad. And if i feel like playing tank maps I do not want to play a map like koningsplatz.

Which is why I think that a separation among tank and infantry focussed maps would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CA maps work best when both tankers and infantry have something worthwhile to do. A couple objectives that either can cap, a couple that tanks are a benefit to cap, and a couple that infantry are required or preferred. You double up your team play aspect as well by requiring the team to work together whether it is getting your arty on target in a coordinated manner as the armor rolls up then your infantry piling out of transports and into the objective, etc.

One sided maps are great as well, but for good CA, everyone should have something to do all the time. I never felt Arad did that, it's an awesome tank map but infantry always felt like "Oh, yeah, we gotta do something with those guys...". Loved Ogledow as a tanker but infantry play felt too much like stalking the neighbors daughter...who also happened to be packing a panzerfaust as well. ;)

Berezina and Gorlitz come to mind as two very team focused maps where both roles had jobs to do and needed each other to be successful. *yes, playing favoritism on Berezina*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always liked tracktorworks more :(

Me too, actually and didn't even think of it when I wrote that! Thanks! That one worked out the same way, and pretty well in that the German infantry had to have help getting across the open ground. Coordination of the transports with the StuG keeping the T34 busy while the Pz4 put down suppressing fire was important. The only time the Germans could win was to coordinate and hit in numbers. There were a few others maps that worked that way, "Smolensk Stalemate", although not a CA map, was similar in needing arty, smoke, and the halftrack all timed well to take that damn ridge.

CA maps can and should offer the best variety of game play within each map and the better ones do. It's all in the layout, size, and scale of the design and sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, my "Klin" map being one example where I think I left too much on the table.

Upvote 0
A post which I mostly agree with

Then, armored beasts

-TT33 avid tanker-

Going waaaay off topic here for a second, but where can I actually find armored beasts? I never can seem to. Fortunately, most of the servers I play on use it (I think?) but I'm not sure.

On topic: IMO combined arms is by far the best way to go. Tractor factory is an amazing map, and one thing that helps with that is that both sides get 1 or 2 tanks.

EDIT: If I remember right, the Russians get 1 T-34 and the Germans get a STuG and a Panzer IV(H)

Last edited:
Upvote 0