• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dungeon Keeper fans, prepare to SQUEEE!!

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/12/dungeons-no-keeper/

Release is slated for Q1, 2011.

I'd hoped against hope, and it's happening. A major studio is making an attempt at another Dungeon Keeper-like game.

They don't own the IP, but that isn't stopping them from basically making Dungeon Keeper 3. Swap a few names and you're good!

There's no real info on the game yet, but these screens (2nd page) basically show Dungeon Keeper rendered in today's hardware.

Will it be better? Will it be worse? Don't care! I'm just happy someone is taking the format and the theme and making another game.

Just gonna copy/paste all the stuff I've written/learned for it so far.

Character art:
Spoiler!

Dungeon screens:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Nenjin Wrote: -Are there multiple dungeon levels within each dungeon? Does that apply only to custom games, or is it true for each level of the campaign as well?

Some campaign levels offer more than one dungeon level. We aren't sure about them in a custom game at the moment.
(Yesterday 07:11 PM) - Nenjin Wrote: -How do heroes figure into things? The news blurb mentions harvesting their soul energy. Are heroes part of your resourcing model?

Yes, heroes are a VERY important ressource since they carry gold and soul energy.
(Yesterday 07:11 PM) - Nenjin Wrote: -How active a role does your Dungeon Lord play in the game?

The player has direct control over his Dungeon Lord. This is very essential for the game as his Lord has to take several actions personally (e.g. harvesting heroes). The Dungeon Lord is also the most effective combat unit the player has.
Yesterday 07:11 PM -Nenjin Wrote: -Along with that, do we still have a "Dungeon Heart", or a structure that when destroyed causes us to lose the game? Or has that been changed to the Dungeon Lord, who if he dies causes the game to end?

If your Dungeon Heart is destroyed then you loose the game. If your Dungeon Lord dies, he can be ressurected through his Dungeon Heart.
Nenjin Wrote: Could you elaborate on what Soul Energy does? Is it primarily for spell casting? And will we be able to convert heroes to our side?

Soul Energy is a ressource that you need to create workers and building several important things in your dungeon.
Converting heroes is not possible but we're still thinking about it.
Korbinian said:
* Some question why the mini-map is like, 8-bit.
Heh, the minimap from the screenshots is of course just a preliminary version, and indeed just color blobs. Will be redone completely.
* Many are concerned with sound engineering. The SFX and atmospheric sound of DKII sold a lot of the game to players. Here's to hoping it's just as good if not better.
We have a great studio working on sound and music for the game. It's not integrated yet, but from what I've heard so far I'm convinced it will be as good as we all hope. The studio is very enthusiastic about working on Dungeons. You can get a first impression from the teaser trailer shown on the GamesCom (and, I presume, released online afterwards).
* As an English speaker, I hope the localization is good.
English localization will be done by the same studio that translated Ceville, which was very good, as far as I heard and could judge myself.
Chris@Realmforge said:
Viken Wrote: I do have a question though; as its stated several times that you'll be capturing these Goody-Goody Guys to drain their Soul Energy; but for what? Do they provide the magic energy need to use world-shattering spells and magical abilities like those found in DKII?

The main use of Soul Energy is that you can build special items which make your Dungeon Lord more powerful (in every aspect). You gain more hit points, deal more damage, have more mana, cast migthier spells and so on.

Upvote 0