• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Considering Purchase

1) There is an active community, just be prepared about countless debates around "needed" fixes. Overlook this, you can have your share of fun, especially if you know those with whom you play.

2) I'd say the learning curve is pretty steep, but recently a very good beginner's guide has been added. The rest is easy bodycount math. More experienced players will make more kills than you, but will also mostly use more difficult servers, so there is a tad of balancing.
You can find the guide here:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43893

3) All requirements are free DLCs that will be patched after you downloaded the game. The rest, additional character packs that only enhance visuals, cost a small fee (~2$). Additional maps are always free, so there is no split in the community.

€ And I hear there's a new - free - balance patch on the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the community very active?

Yes, the community is very active. However, before going into discussion and debate with other people, I would suggest you have a grasp of the situation (aka know what you're saying). Go through the old threads a little, read a few good and bad suggestion threads about what's been there and through. Especially with tech support. If you know anything about fixing errors in games, great. Just be sure to read through before responding.

Is the game difficult to enjoy as a new player in the midst of established players?

It depends. There's always the random chance that you're going to get a whole bunch of "bad-***" people who won't give you any tips at all, or even help you or give you money, in which case, change to a different server. Also, it doesn't help to ask nicely :). I would say to play on a Normal difficulty server to start off, because it's probably going to be the one you're gonna play most on right now anyways. And as Swanky said, there's a stickied guide (pretty good too) up somewhere in General Discussion. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43893

Is the additional content required to remain competitive?

Nope. It just makes you look cool.

But is the game definitely worth that $10 (for now)? You'll bet. It's amazing for the amount of computer power it requires.

€ And I hear there's a new - free - balance patch on the way.

There is? What's in it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my opinion it's well worth it. If you enjoyed CoD World at War zombies or Left 4 Dead you'll like this one more (at least I did).
1. The community is very active, as Swanky said there's a lot of debate of fixes that are "needed" but you don't have to involve yourself in them, the community also helps out newcomers.
2. There are four difficulty levels so if you stay on servers that play on the normal difficulty (while you're starting out) you shouldn't have much of a problem. If you've played other FPS games or zombie survival games you shouldn't be as disadvantaged.
3. The only required add ons are the ones that get patched into the game which everyone gets for free. The DLC is just character packs which are just changing how your character looks (at about $2) and community made content is free.
Also the game (and DLC) is half price at the moment on Steam so you'll save $10 US.

Upvote 0
Is the community very active?
I can find a game pretty much anytime of the day or night. If you mean the community as the forums here, well look around, pretty active but its only about 1/4th of the actual KF players.

Is the game difficult to enjoy as a new player in the midst of established players?
Yes. You would be joining pretty late, and at this point in time, most who bought KF when it was released are all lvl6 already. You'll run into the occasional griefer but you have that in pretty much every online game. Your skill level (aim etc.) won't matter if you try to join hard or suicidal, people won't give you a chance as a lower level and you will be kicked from the server without warning. You can read their grief on the forums here as well. I personally usually give a lower perk level a few rounds to see if they atleast have some sort of idea of whats going on but the majority will simply kick you.

Playing on normal or beginner, you should for the most part have a good time but tbh if you have any skill at all then even as a lower perk these difficulties get pretty boring. Although when I reset my perks I saw so many awesome lvl 6's playing not only normal but beginner as well! As a lvl 6, playing beginner or normal is a no brainer, hardly any effort to win the game, at the same time making it harder on a lower level to enjoy the game and lvl at the same time.

Also, there are tons of servers with owners/admins who will COMPLETELY try to govern the way you play.

In time though youll learn how to play and where to play.

Is the additional content required to remain competitive?
No, the additional dlc is only character packs. They do nothing but give a little different eyecandy. Also, I believe they're only 1.99 full and on sale atm for 0.99. Pretty heavy I know.

ALSO! Buy now while its on sale! 9.99 I believe. Don't wait til it goes back up to 19.99.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes. You would be joining pretty late, and at this point in time, most who bought KF when it was released are all lvl6 already. You'll run into the occasional griefer but you have that in pretty much every online game. Your skill level (aim etc.) won't matter if you try to join hard or suicidal, people won't give you a chance as a lower level and you will be kicked from the server without warning. You can read their grief on the forums here as well. I personally usually give a lower perk level a few rounds to see if they atleast have some sort of idea of whats going on but the majority will simply kick you.

Also, there are tons of servers with owners/admins who will COMPLETELY try to govern the way you play.

Seriously i must miss everything. I've only seen 1 griefer since i came back a couple of months ago who was blocking the trader begging for money but left when i got him killed. And i've never seen admins try to govern how you play (aside from ones that won't let you glitch/exploit but that doesn't count).

Upvote 0
And i've never seen admins try to govern how you play (aside from ones that won't let you glitch/exploit but that doesn't count).
Play on many different servers? I do. Some will try to tell you to sit in one spot, others will try to tell you what perk to use. Its out there trust me. You can still play as a team where you don't have to sit shoulder to shoulder with another player. Whether you like to camp or run around solo, should be up to the player not an admin. Yes its a coop game but can offer alot of fun choosing how YOU decide to play the game.

Kinda reminds me of those wannabe realism tactics servers in CoD, you have to always crouch etc... I just want to run around and kill stuff. Im not going to walk slowly through a map crouched being all tactical like. Its a damn game. Maybe if I were playing it competition wise then thats a different story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your skill level (aim etc.) won't matter if you try to join hard or suicidal, people won't give you a chance as a lower level and you will be kicked from the server without warning.

I've seriously never seen this ever, at least not on hard. If you join a suicidal game at level one or zero, then yeah, you deserve to be kicked. But I've never seen a low-level player randomly get kicked on hard - it's a pretty forgiving difficulty if you have some common sense.

Also I've never run into an admin that tried to dictate how others play except maybe like, one. Not sure you've been playing with.

Edit: As for telling other players what perk to use, sometimes it makes sense. Hell, I do it if the situation calls for it. If the team already has two Medics and another joins I'll ask them if they have any other perks they can use which would be more useful. Never seen anyone be a total *** about it though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seriously never seen this ever, at least not on hard. If you join a suicidal game at level one or zero, then yeah, you deserve to be kicked. But I've never seen a low-level player randomly get kicked on hard - it's a pretty forgiving difficulty if you have some common sense.

Ive seen it happen plenty of times. Also, im not saying that if you join hard is bound to happen every damn time, just dont be surprised when it happens.
Edit: As for telling other players what perk to use, sometimes it makes sense. Hell, I do it if the situation calls for it. If the team already has two Medics and another joins I'll ask them if they have any other perks they can use which would be more useful. Never seen anyone be a total *** about it though.

I guess I should explain differently. Sure if 3 medics join then yes I too will ask if they would switch. Ask not TELL. Im referring to people that say you shouldnt be firebug, demo and tell you to go ss or some other op perk.

Upvote 0
Scribs is indeed a sex e beast. IDK what happened to wedgard I think his comp died.

Anyways I became less of an asshole when I reset my perks seeing the game again through the eyes of a nubbly. So playing on so many different servers and difficulties I can guarantee your going to see what I mention.

ps: I know you love Wegard too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Play on many different servers? I do. Some will try to tell you to sit in one spot, others will try to tell you what perk to use. Its out there trust me. You can still play as a team where you don't have to sit shoulder to shoulder with another player. Whether you like to camp or run around solo, should be up to the player not an admin. Yes its a coop game but can offer alot of fun choosing how YOU decide to play the game.

Kinda reminds me of those wannabe realism tactics servers in CoD, you have to always crouch etc... I just want to run around and kill stuff. Im not going to walk slowly through a map crouched being all tactical like. Its a damn game. Maybe if I were playing it competition wise then thats a different story.

I play whatever servers are not full and not empty for Suicidal/Hard with a good ping. Unless you aint on UK/Euro servers then i can only assume you're overexaggerating how much it occurs.

Upvote 0