• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is RO:HoS pandering too much to the CoD crowd?

Sadly people deduce logic the wrong way the other way around as well. In regard to the feature rather than the game.

Feature X was in game Y, Game Y was bas bad, therefore feature X must be bad.

technically sir, thats inductive reasoning. :D

However you are quite correct, I've heard many a reviewer bash realism games because some of them look very brown with bad lighting, and other then that have no realism aspects whatsoever.

Upvote 0
technically sir, thats inductive reasoning. :D

However you are quite correct, I've heard many a reviewer bash realism games because some of them look very brown with bad lighting, and other then that have no realism aspects whatsoever.

Because game A is bad and got feature X doesn't have to mean that feature X is bad (that is a form of bad deduction as stated in my example). You can merely say that you hated feature X in game A, and because of that think that you'll hate feature X in game B as well (and that indeed is inductive reasoning).

But then again induction is not logically correct, so any form of induction is bad by the rules of deduction. So induction is always faulty deduction :p

If the feature X was a reason why the game Y was bad, there is no fault in this logic.
Then that would need to be stated there, and would result in the inductive example I put up above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already hate the scoreboard in RO but since the community is rather mature it isn't much of a problem (although I've seen plenty of arguing about someones score).

Who knows what consequences stats and heroes will have but I doubt it all will be so rosy as many like to point out.
If you played KF you know tripwire is not perfect (no one is) so we might see some major imbalance and annoyances.

Then again RO is not perfect either and my hope is that there will be more balance > realism when it goes mainstream.

All we can do is wait and see since we don't really know anything in detail YET.

Upvote 0
I would expect many of the perks for 'heroes' to be mostly aesthetic and have very little statistical benefit. slightly more accurate, slightly faster bolting, nicer looks ETC. Cod's changes through perks are night and day change; I think everyone so far has just assumed that Hero perks will just tell you who is an old player and who is new, Although that in itself could cause division....

Who knows, if they don't get it right, we can just endlessly complain:p

Yeah, I'm more expecting something like "Insignia of the xx Red Guard" division or "Naval Infantry uniform" than "Your bayonet is now 20 feet longer" and "You fart grenades when you die."

Well, one can guess looking at how many realistic games are being made or played right now? :p
It's a select few.

True, but generally, realistic mods made for those games become the most popular. Look at Project Reality. Sure, it's no military class simulation, but then again neither is RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ing).

But then again induction is not logically correct, so any form of induction is bad by the rules of deduction. So induction is always faulty deduction :p

Yeah deductive has an 'all ' statement while inductive has a 'non all' statement

-"all CSS gamers are retards" , Bob is a CSS gamer = bob is a retard
-"Most CSS gamers are retards, Bob is a CSS gamer = bob could or could not be a retard... ( who are we kidding)

Upvote 0
TWI need to grow in order to simply survive in such a competitive market place.

ROHOS is a major gamble because they are endeavouring to break into a market dominated by the likes of Activision and EA who spend millions on development of FPS titles such as Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and Battlefield.

Any publisher must try to balance between making a game that will not only capture new fans but keep the loyal fans happy as well.

In my humble opinion they are pretty much on the right track in attaining both goals with Heroes.
The beta will only help in fine tuning a game that looks to be every bit as good and better than anything those huge major publishing houses have churned out over the last few years even with their massive resources.
I personally have complete faith in the integrity that TWI have when it comes to supporting their community and Heroes will enlarge the RO community way beyond it's current state.

I hope it's a huge success because that success will perhaps show the EA's and Activisions of this world what PC gamers actually want when it comes to the games they buy and the support they need in order to gender a thriving loyal customer base that has faith in the makers abillity to provide a top notch product we can all enjoy and grow with.

Upvote 0
Our system, which we haven't announced the details of yet, we feel will fit right at home for most players, both from the current RO crowd, and the new comers we would like to attract.

But for those who don't like anything of the sort I "believe" it is set to be on the admin option list. Don't quote me on that yet

Upvote 0
Yoshiro
But for those who don't like anything of the sort I "believe" it is set to be on the admin option list. Don't quote me on that yet

hope so please dont go the same road as DOD source did noobing stuff to make it supposedly more newbie freindly - all it did was sound the death knell..

Part of the enjoyment of RO is the long stead learning curve that keeps you interested - things that are mastered quickly are forgoten just as quick.

Hope the heroes thing is not too big a jump as that makes it hard for new players - and so hard that only a few get big advantage.

think it's a good intial post and good responces so far

Upvote 0
Our system, which we haven't announced the details of yet, we feel will fit right at home for most players, both from the current RO crowd, and the new comers we would like to attract.

Wow Tripwire. You've got to be kidding me. Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

Upvote 0
My small two cents here:

I'm very new to Red Orchestra, having only chronicled a mere 65 hours into the game and I have to say that Red Orchestra has out preformed my expectations on many levels. I was a huge fan of the Call of Duty single player campaigns but utterly frustrated at the simpleton point-click-prone-jump 50 meters by 50 meters online game play. Red Orchestra is extremely challenging and to think that Tripwire would toss away their style to make a few dollars seems highly unlikely to me.

I have very little doubt that the hyper-realism in RO:HoS will be even more effective for creating team-work strategy based game play that will also be a lot of fun.

I don't think we have much to worry about, folks. I know that the wait will be worth it and soon we will be chewing our fingernails and consuming RedBull's at alarming rates as we have our 14 hour RO:HoS marathons. :D

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
Did I hear stat system? Please no, and please no K/D ratio like in Bad Company 2, I actually really like BC2 but the stats for me seem to ruin it - people not attacking/defending as well as they should because they don't want to risk damaging their precious K/D ratio :(

And hardcore/normal modes? Recently I've come to the conclusion that the players make the game. If you make a game that "panders" to the CoD crowd then eventually those people will make up the majority of your customers (because CoD gamers are much more numerous than realism gamers), and thus, what your fans want will be more "normal" mode and less realism. I'd personally prefer to just have one mode, realism like original RO, if new players can't adjust then they can't adjust, they can go and play something that they like, like CoD or BC. I think it all comes down to what the game is supposed to be, but you can't please everyone, here's a question for you:

What happens when you combine everyone's favourite colours?

pleasingnobody.jpg

My 2 cents anyhow.

Upvote 0