• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is there going to be a good melee system?

Seems like kind of a pretty weak hit in comparison to a side swing or a traditional butt jab, but I guess thats the price you pay for having a cheap folding stock, and just more proof that the MP41 is again the superior weapon:D

the MP shove could work out that way though, because its fitting for it to have a really weak melee in the first place, think about it; if you are in really close quarters with an MP40, you're going to try to shoot the enemy until your gun is empty before you go into a melee fight anyway

Upvote 0
I dont think I ever spent the time getting good with Ro's bayonets, and its been a long time since i last played grey ghosts:D. But ROHOS should definitely touch up on the bayo system making it a bit more user friendly. whether that means being able to stab somone while standing on top of them or getting a wee bit of auto aim/correction ( 5 - 10 degrees from weapon direction) to counter for lag. Lastly weapon physics; i cant recally how many times I jump prone'nd to go for a bayo kill only to get shot with my bayo inches from their face, IRL the body and rifle would continue on and cause some pain....

Upvote 0
Yeah knockdown feature would be great, simply the chance to hit with such force that the oponent is dating the ground. But I can yet hear the millions of whiners crying cause they are punched away and then buttstock smacked and kicked to death while lying on the ground. :rolleyes:

Still I like the idea. And again this makes me want to have the ability to kick people, cause it's the next thing to do when the enemy is lying on the ground. And kicking can't be abused too easily, there won't be a Tai Chi of Stalingrad going on, as simply you'd shoot someone running towards ya in order to kick your butt and secondly kicking can't be performed that fast as buttstock melees. However it's a must have as it's realistic to use your entire body in melee combat. The only problem with kicking might be that you need first person full body awareness.

Upvote 0
When it comes to kicking Germans would have highground to Russians because of their boots'.

More complex melee system is needed however to make melee combat more appealing.

First I'd like to be able to wear my bayonet in hand instead of attaching it to a rifle, if I want to. For example: You see a lone enemy who hasn't spotted you. Not to draw attention you decide to melee him however melee w / o bayonet is a waste of time. Should you attach it it makes alot of noise that will ruin your element of surprise. Insted, just dray your bayonet, hold firmly in your hand, see the Fiarbran fighting manual for tips, and dispose of your enemy.

Upvote 0
Great idea. Actually you should be able to melee at any time, except in prone stance (maybe bayonet). It's highly annoying you have to wait and see you getting killed cause you can't interrupt the reloading animation or the bayonet attachment/removing animation. Particularly with the bayonet in your hand you can defend yourself very well, might feel a bit like CoD with the knife slicing animation but the hell, it's possible, as the kar98k, MN1891/30 can surely be held with one hand for a short time.

Upvote 0
However, I'm not after the COD-series instant knife kills. Just that when you get your enemys back it should one-swing-kill. While confronting face to face I think it should take few hits in to chest. Head / neck should of course result instant death. What I'm after here is that there should be choice between attaching and holding the bayonet in hand. Wouldn't it bee cool is spade could be attached into a rifle ;)?

Yeah, ability to stop reloading or hassling with bayonet is something I've been longing since I began playing this game.

Upvote 0
However, I'm not after the COD-series instant knife kills. Just that when you get your enemys back it should one-swing-kill.

It should be a one shot kill when you hit something vital and do enough damage to kill someone.

This game (Heroes of Stalingrad) will have internal damage models. They're modeling organs in this game and they have bleedouts. You don't have to bull**** it any more.

Upvote 0
I wonder how they will implement spade combat in ROHOS :p

Maybe we can have kettles' for close combat. And players with hero status should be able to pour hot water on enemies as well.

Seriously, I'd like to see more melee weapons in game. Former mentioned spade and maybe some piece of rafter with nails on it that you found from the ruins? Would not it be pretty awesome to smack someone with the exchange barrel of your MG?

Upvote 0
Yeah, more improvisation and exploiting the environment. Not going inside the walls of course. Nowadays I try to kill enemies in more a hilarious than efficient way. Like this --> http://www.blastwave-comic.com/index.php?p=comic&nro=2

Which reminds me of an offtopic story that takes place in suicidal bioticslab of KF.

Me: "You do realize that we're standing above of our pipe bombs?"
Buddy: "It really doesn't matter, when the zombies come trough we withdraw."
M: "I realized yet a other thing! I could kill myself by shooting that bomb..."
B: "More frags to me so go ahead."
M: "...which would also set of your bomb in the process killing you aswell. Awesome, eh?"
B: "You've sick imagination to think that up."

The game can brag all about how it's realistic, but it must also be fun. And unorthodox ways of doing melee is fun! Byonets and buttstock are just booring.

Upvote 0
Nah, buttstock melee is boring in the game first of it's crappy animation which takes ages and feels awkward. Secondly it's because you don't get the feeling of truely hiting him, there's no animations pain. Would be cool to have this particularly in 1st person that hits will blur your vision and simply will move your camera around, just like a punch would make you turn round your head. Pain screams would add too to atmosphere.
But currently it feels like you're hiting a dummy which is made out of stone and then falls to the ground. It doesn't feel like everyone is fighting for his survival. Much more like two knights fighting each other with blunt blades.

The standard side swing melee attack can be made a cool animation and it can be done that it feels like you're truely hiting the enemy and you can feel the impact of his rifle butt on your player character.

Upvote 0