• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone tried e-cigarettes?

I know this is thread necromancy and all but ...

I got my electronic cigarette - Blu - about five weeks ago now. I went from 1 to 2 packs a day of Camels down to absolutely nothing overnight.

Five weeks = 42 days. At ~$5 per pack, that's $10 per day and ~$420 for 5 weeks that I would have spent on Camels.

In that time I paid $59.99 for the starter kit (www.blucigs.com) and $20.00 for two new batteries and two new atomizers, since I was a dumbass and screwed up my two original atomizers and one of the batteries. I've also spent about $30.00 on refill liquid from Johnson Creek, and I probably won't have to buy more for another 6-8 weeks. That represents a VERY substantial savings in terms of money, right there.

At work I can smoke anywhere I like. My boss is pissed because I can smoke in his office and he can't.

I love the Blu. I'm getting my nicotine. I'm getting the feel of smoking. I'm NOT getting cancer. I don't smell like smoke. I can smell and taste things that I haven't been able to in ten years or so. (Unfortunately, one of those things is a dairy about 3 miles from my house, but it's a tradeoff I guess.) I don't cough up black nasty stuff first thing in the morning anymore.

Best part of it is that even when I was waiting for my new atomizers I had a day where I was having a little bit of a nicotine fit. I bummed a Marlboro off one of the guys at work ... and WOW. It was disgusting. Far worse than I ever remembered them being. That was all I needed to make me want to wait for my replacement parts to come in.

Anyway, yeah. It's great. I highly recommend Blu to anyone that wants ... well, I'm not going to say 'to quit,' because it's not really for quitting. It's an alternative, not a way to quit. I really had / have no interest in quitting - just an interest in improving my quality of life / health / budget while still being able to enjoy smoking.

Check it out- www.blucigs.com

Upvote 0
Good question, a compact discreet cordless vaporizer would be an epic win.

I know someone who kicked heroine after years of moderate use, but he can't stop smoking. Nicotene is nasty like that.

Yeah, you can put pretty much anything in them.

Buddy of mine makes his own refills. He buys the nicotine stuff, but makes everythign else from scratch. He has made various concoctions including cotton candy, Red Bull, prime rib, Earl Grey and ******. (Yes, it works.)

All you have to do is make - basically - a liquid. You need a tea, more or less, reduced down to a fairly concentrated form. Add some vegetable glycerin, some distilled water, maybe a little citric acid as a preservative if you're so inclined ...

Great thing about these, like I said ... no smell. Others can see the smoke, but they can't smell it. And if they don't see the smoke, they never know it existed.

Upvote 0
Buddy of mine makes his own refills. He buys the nicotine stuff, but makes everythign else from scratch. He has made various concoctions including cotton candy, Red Bull, prime rib, Earl Grey and ******. (Yes, it works.)

I'd be careful messing with nicotine, you don't need to mess up the amounts much to turn it lethal...

Great thing about these, like I said ... no smell. Others can see the smoke, but they can't smell it. And if they don't see the smoke, they never know it existed.

One thing I never got an answer to when this thread started was, how much nicotine does the *exhaled* "smoke" contain?

I guess its not really smoke (steam?), but if it does contain the smallest trace of nicotine at all it would just be another reason to ban them in public like normal cigarettes.

I've become a bit more interested in this lately, although I don't smoke a lot, maybe 4-5 ciggies a day, I do notice it affects my general well-being, especially after a night out with a lot of smokes the headache is just compounded with the tar and all other **** you breathe down.

Upvote 0
I'd be careful messing with nicotine, you don't need to mess up the amounts much to turn it lethal...

He buys pharmaceutical grade nicotine in specific concentrations, so there's good quality control over how much is getting added per drop. No worries about lethality ...

One thing I never got an answer to when this thread started was, how much nicotine does the *exhaled* "smoke" contain?

I guess its not really smoke (steam?), but if it does contain the smallest trace of nicotine at all it would just be another reason to ban them in public like normal cigarettes.

I've become a bit more interested in this lately, although I don't smoke a lot, maybe 4-5 ciggies a day, I do notice it affects my general well-being, especially after a night out with a lot of smokes the headache is just compounded with the tar and all other **** you breathe down.

I really don't know how much there is in the exhaled vapor ...

Upvote 0
Just regarding this, its being banned in the UK from June and I have sadly gone back to normal fags.

I got mighty peed off with the constant (and I mean constant!!) cleaning! But I also have to agree with the anti-campaigners of e-cigs that not enough is known about it!

Also what really put me off was when I found out that these were only recommended for heavy smokers (I smoke about 8 a day tops!)

Also this doesnt really kick the habit as I jumped straight back to cigs without hesitation! Due to the realistic smoking action, the 'habit' is never kicked and this is only an alterntive to the real thing. BUT it will not make you an ex-smoker!!

Having tried it, and sung its praises, I now beleive that tighter regulation needs to be in place as you can buy e-liquid from pretty much anywhere!!

Upvote 0
I prefer those :)
20081122-drakepopeye.jpg

Upvote 0
As far as constant cleaning goes ... the one that I have requires - supposedly - no cleaning whatsoever, as the heating action of the atomizer burns off anything that's left. This is, however, not correct - you do need to clean it every now and then, but a little bit of Crest mouthwash and a cheapo ultrasonic jewelry cleaner will solve the problem. Let it dry for 24 hours or so afterwards.

As far as the e-liquid goes, I wouldn't recommend necessarily getting it from someone you don't know and trust. The kind that I buy has the ingredients listed quite prominently, and as it is manufactured in the USA, there's some pretty stringent requirements concerning what they can say regarding what's in it. The Johnson Creek Red Oak stuff has no propylene glycol or anything else in it - it's vegetable glycerin, distilled water, flavoring, nicotine and citric acid as a preservative. Even the propylene glycol brands are nothing more than commercial / theatre / etc. smoke machine stuff, with flavoring and nicotine added. There's not been any huge outcry wanting to study the effects of this on the people that work in theatre, or regularly attend theatre. There's not been any huge outcry wanting to study the effects of natural and artificial flavors.

It's nicotine that's the problem, and quite frankly the effects of it are well established and known. They're not particularly worse than those of caffeine. HOWEVER ... there's not a massive industry - almost a government mandated monopoly - preventing new and meaningful competition in the caffeine market.

Anyway. Whatever the tobacco companies convince governments to do, there's nothing inherently illegal about any individual component of the electronic cigarettes. Batteries and vaporizers are certainly legal. Even the e-liquid is, up to the point where it's sold AS e-juice containing nicotine.

Just regarding this, its being banned in the UK from June and I have sadly gone back to normal fags.

I got mighty peed off with the constant (and I mean constant!!) cleaning! But I also have to agree with the anti-campaigners of e-cigs that not enough is known about it!

Also what really put me off was when I found out that these were only recommended for heavy smokers (I smoke about 8 a day tops!)

Also this doesnt really kick the habit as I jumped straight back to cigs without hesitation! Due to the realistic smoking action, the 'habit' is never kicked and this is only an alterntive to the real thing. BUT it will not make you an ex-smoker!!

Having tried it, and sung its praises, I now beleive that tighter regulation needs to be in place as you can buy e-liquid from pretty much anywhere!!

Upvote 0
lols olivier, i worked at a convienience store, its funny really. the price on cigs (i dont smoke) for the last year or so has been creeping up 25 cents every two months or so, and all these people keep complaining and saying they will quit, the price goes up; they complain but keep on smoking...

Small aside, My annoyance with smokers (this could just be a local thing to where I live), is that they are inconsiderate twits. How does one tell from a picture of a busy street in my home city which way the wind is blowing? Answer : the F@#$@# smoker is always *ALWAYS* up wind of everyone else exhailing craploads of smoke on them ... sadistic bastards...

Other then that its your lungs, and your life and its length will be decided by your own decisions (with exceptions of un natrual death), I just ask that you dont include me in your decision...

Upvote 0