• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New score-board (so people start doing their perks' JOBS!)

cPT.cAPSLOCK

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 14, 2010
First of all: the main concept of this post is thought of by YFGHNG in this thread.

The idea is to change the scoreboard. This is important, because:
If people are no longed rated by their kills, there's no reason to steal kills;
If people *Are* rated for what they should be using their perk for, they're more likely to actually do so.

This is my suggestion: there could be a main and a secondary criteria. The main being the one used for sorting within the perk, and the secondary for the prestige (just so your team can see how awesome you are).
IMHO, Ratings/score should based on the following criteria:

Code:
Sharpshooter:
Main: Priority targets (More points for more important ones ->  Fleshpound 10pts., Scrake 7pts., . Husk 5pts.)
Secondary: Headshots

Medic:
Main: HP Healed
Seconday: <need advice on this one>

Support:
Main: Damage with shotguns
Secondary: Points welded

Commando:
Main: Small ZEDs killed (just like ss more points for the more important  ones -> Stalkers, )
Seconday: Stalkers killed

Firebug:
Main: Damage with fire
Secondary: ZEDs ignited

Demolitions:
Main: Damage with explosions
Seconday: Gibs (one-hit-kills with explosions)

Berserker:
Main: Damage with melee weapons
Seconday: Damage Tanked
To fit the information on the scoreboard, the font used has to be decreased a bit.
The layout should basically be like this:
Code:
Perk: Sharpshooter
(Priority targets; Headshots)
Player:       Main:     Secondary:
Player A       47           67
Player B       40           71

Perk: Medic
(HP Healed; ...)
Player:       Main:     Secondary:
Player C       88           xx
Player D       0            yy
etc.

If there isn't enough height available, people can use the page-up / page-down keys.

Your own perk should always be displayed at the top of the list.

Because you split the perks into individual rankings, people will start focusing on their jobs more, leading to less kill stealing and other annoying behavior.

Any input is welcome :)

I'd say simply have sharpie as headshots, so that sharpies start aiming, medic as healing done, so medics aren't zerkers in medic's armour, commando as stalkers killed, so that you can see if your commando teammate is lacking in kills and perhaps aid them by luring stalkers to them, support as either welding or damage done, or maybe both because some people play either way and you can't restrict the scoring on the perk without ruining it.

Because having 2 scores would take up too much space, but another thing that could be added is the option to track what each player wants.
Except without the ability to track kills on the main scoreboard.
Because that would not fix the problem.
i.e. a support may have SG damage as default, but wish to track welding points.

The scoreboard would have to be arranged alphabetically, as you cannot compare heal points with headshots; encouraging less competition and more teamwork.

Upvote 0
None of what is suggested solves the underlying problem of fighting for the top position. Completely removing the scoring system will turn that need for the most kills into effective teamwork. Perhaps simply replacing the score with "time played" would be more effective. Those who stay with the game instead of quitting after 2 waves would have the highest "score". There is no particular incentive to get the longest time played other than to show other players how dedicated you are to the game.

Upvote 0
Which is the problem with the game. The idea of the game is to work together to survive. As stated before, the game has turned into a zombie hunt instead of survival. If you play on a higher difficulty, you will quickly discover that getting the most kills is not your top priority. The real win is in surviving as a team.

I play on suicidal and everyone (including myself) tries to kill the most. It's just some sort of genetic condition that you can't prevent.

Upvote 0
Which is the problem with the game. The idea of the game is to work together to survive. As stated before, the game has turned into a zombie hunt instead of survival. If you play on a higher difficulty, you will quickly discover that getting the most kills is not your top priority. The real win is in surviving as a team.

This only applies if winning is difficult to achieve. On some maps (Bedlam, anyone?), there is a real sense of accomplishment in surviving, especially if you're stuck with a noob who keeps dying.

However, on other maps, there isn't as much sense of challenge. Even on suicidal, people are able to blaze through the waves and take down the patriarch. The only pride they're able to take from it is how many kills they got.

It's like that old game Space Invaders. The alien ships try to kill you and you try to kill them. However, they eventually got so fast that they would kill you, it was inevitable.
Yet in Killing Floor, there are six players and they can often survive easily. So it becomes a race to kill as many as possible.

Upvote 0
If there was a real danger or threat in the waves, I (and many others like me) wouldn't feel the need to find some other objective to keep me (us) occupied.

Especially the first up to 5 waves are basically kill whoring runs to see who can out tactic the other player. There is a surprising amount of strategy involved especially when you meet another kill monger, but that is definitely not what this game should be based on.

I fully support removing the scoreboard(in its' current sense) and balancing the game so that the odds are absolutely not in the players' favor.

I want to be afraid of things like I was as a level 0 commando on normal when I first played the game, not run through the map untouched with overpowered weapons and underpowered specimens that just end up as a score to prove your worth.

Upvote 0
the score board i always wanted was not really a score board but more like a "status" board.

the only things it would contain would be:

1. player name and class
2. player health and armor
3. player money
4. player ping

now i realize money might just take the place of kills but atleast players will be able to see who needs cash. this might also stop the annoying "I need some money" spam.

i dont really care about my kill count so, i would much rather have a useful "score board".

Upvote 0
I'm a medic and when i see people Rambo i kill them :/ by welding them in rooms with fleshpounds/ body blocking doors/ trying to heal them with my welder.

and yeah, Everyone in killinfloor plays to kill and seems to me the ones who cant cry over it. (Just an assumption) I my self usually go games with 40 kills or 6 kills, usually the only things i kill is scrakes and fleshpounds. But there would be no way of emptying the whole score board crap... NOW if you changed the money involved of killing specific specimens and healing, instead of this ****ty healing cash gimmeh some more so i can share it with my friends :p yes i usually get enough money to share but that is by completing the wave not by healing points, my idea is using perks as the only source of getting money if your a zerker you get money for the damage dealt with melee weapons. sharpshooters get money for head shots, supports damage/welding, medics healing.
^Just a quick idea^

People will always fight over money and tallies ^^ we live on EARTH! WE ARE HUMAN!

Upvote 0
The only thing's I'd like to see are how much money people have and how much healing the medics are doing. The rest seems completely unnecessary to me, unless you're a medic your only job is to kill. What difference does it make how you get those kills?

Personally, I can't understand why people would even care about how many kills they get in a coop game. That only matters to me in games where I am killing the other players. Survival and having fun are the only two things I concern myself with in KF, I guess some people get competitive with it.

Oh, and I will now do my best to get you killed if I see you in-game KingJoker. Killing someone just because they are a rambo is absolutely unacceptable, there's nothing wrong with run and gun if they are good enough to survive the wave. I only "rambo" myself if I am unable to reach the other players before the wave begins, but I respect it as a legit strategy. In fact, when I first started playing KF retail after playing the mod, I couldn't understand why everyone was camping. Not only is it boring, these people back themselves into a corner from the beginning of the damn wave, ideally a well-coordinated team should pull the zeds around the map so there is always an escape route, not go straight to the last-ditch holdout position...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very simple Scoreboard idea:

Total money earned (TME) through the course of the game = Player Score:

- players with large numbers of small specimen kills will see they have earned a decent number of points
- someone pickng off larger targets will have more points due to high value target elimination
- anyone who heals their team all the time will also earn points as well
- surviving the round factors in, more points for each teammate that dies and tonnes for being the sole survivor and clutching it for the team.

Its a very basic, very easy to code score. Note the difference between "Total Money Earned = Points" and "Money = Points". Total money earned represents the value that player has made regardless of weapons he buys, how much he drops or lack there off, etc. So money hoarding does bugger all to your score, because you will earn money all the same.

It does encourage kill stealking is the ballache, but the current system is exactly the same, and furthermore it alienates Medics from the scoreboard, and anyone who actually does their job properly. So having TME gives indications of the other factors of the game. Excluding welding of course, but hey ho.

players might let others die to buff their own score more, but they ru the risk of a) being killed themselves and b) being labelled an asshat :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing's I'd like to see are how much money people have and how much healing the medics are doing. The rest seems completely unnecessary to me, unless you're a medic your only job is to kill. What difference does it make how you get those kills?

Personally, I can't understand why people would even care about how many kills they get in a coop game. That only matters to me in games where I am killing the other players. Survival and having fun are the only two things I concern myself with in KF, I guess some people get competitive with it.

Oh, and I will now do my best to get you killed if I see you in-game KingJoker. Killing someone just because they are a rambo is absolutely unacceptable, there's nothing wrong with run and gun if they are good enough to survive the wave. I only "rambo" myself if I am unable to reach the other players before the wave begins, but I respect it as a legit strategy. In fact, when I first started playing KF retail after playing the mod, I couldn't understand why everyone was camping. Not only is it boring, these people back themselves into a corner from the beginning of the damn wave, ideally a well-coordinated team should pull the zeds around the map so there is always an escape route, not go straight to the last-ditch holdout position...

o_O I kill rambo'ers because they believe they can withstand mighty armies, well prefer for the Jack! :D! Personally me as a medic im always running around i usually channel specimens away from players lol...... But yeah i do not like ramboing it isn't a tatic and it pisses me off seeing specimens not following me ^^ (Also ive never actually seen one rambo'er ever use a non- overopowered weapon...)

ALSO! last ditch holdout? those are usaully dumb people O_O when i play games with people who like to hang out in groups lol they usaully are out in the open or on everyt side of a hallway.

also rambo killing things is way more boring :/ seeing a team mate running infront of a shot and grenades and seeing other players dieing from there fail nades and specimens sneaking on them is fun and hilarious. Rambos are killed by crawlers/stalkers :/ thats not cool.

Upvote 0