• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi-auto vs full auto

What's the big deal about mobility? Most games revolve around defending a position anyway and I end up spending about 90% of the time aiming down the sight.

When moving I still use semi, just hip fire the assault rifles and aim at the centre of the screen.

I'm just not seeing the point of a short burst, particularly with bullpup. You're either hitting them in the head, decapitating the specimen or you're wasting bullets. And seen as it only takes one round to decapitate them. Every three round burst is either two rounds of wasted bullets, or three if you miss the head entirely.

Husk and Siren is a bit different, but you should always aim to position yourself so that you fight them at great range so as to not take damage from them. And in that case you're probably still better off with semi since greater accuracy is needed.

well then we ain't even talking about the same game, for 6p suicidal you need at least 2 rounds to weaken them enough for a decap. 1 bp round won't even decap a clot unless you have scar, and everything else will take more than 1 round either way. that's why I rather stick with full auto single shot or quick burst upwards, you don't have the time to be switching back and forth or staying in irons all the time, so I usually aim at center screen from the hip unless the game slows down enough for us to stand still for a while.

if you're always playing on easily campable maps you might want to try harder ones in suicidal, it's a whole different game when you have to move around and regroup to survive.

Upvote 0
if you're always playing on easily campable maps you might want to try harder ones in suicidal, it's a whole different game when you have to move around and regroup to survive.

No I am talking about suicidal, all stock maps have one or more spots ideal for camping. I take it back about bullpup decaping in 1 hit, it actually takes 2, which is all the more reason to conserve ammo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its called semi auto because any semi auto weapon system can be made to fire fully auto, whereas a bolt action is no where near capable of being semi auto or full auto.
Actually it's called semi-auto because parts of the firing process are handled automatically (ejection of empty case, and loading of fresh round) but you still have to pull the trigger for each shot, hence the non automatic part. Full auto means everything is handled automatically so long as the trigger is held down (firing, ejecting, loading, firing again etc etc.).

Back on topic though; auto with fire control is pro :D

Upvote 0
Monolithos pulled some code out a while back. If I'm not mistaken the thread that started the fallacy over the damage of single shot and auto-fire weapons started in the thread this was posted in. He does a good job of summing a few things up in this post though:

Bullpup full-auto-mode does deal more damage per bullet (30% higher), have a higher rate of fire (10% higher) with a lower recoilrate (30% lower) per bullet than the semi-auto-mode. However, full-auto-mode does have an aimerror that semi-auto-mode does not have at all (semi-auto-mode also have a higher bullet momentum).

All ranged weapons, except flamethrower, also receive an additional aimerror and spread if you move while you shoot (higher the faster you move. The extra penalty is reduced by 40% if you crouch. There is no extra penalty if you do not move).

Both fire-modes also have the same basic bullet spray. But you can reduce the spread by crouching (15%), using the reflex scope (50%!) and using semi-fire-mode (15%). You will also get a decreased accuracy for each bullet during rapid fire (goes for both fire-modes but only up to a max of six bullets at which point it does not decrease anymore). This will last until you hold your fire for at least 0.5 seconds (at which point the bullpup will be stable again).

If you want to minimize bullet spread for really long range one-shot precision decapitations (maybe in a friendly fire setting?) you would want to crouch, zoom in, if possible don't move, use semi-auto-mode and only fire one (or a few) bullet(s) and then hold fire for 0.5 seconds.

He apologizes on the next page for being wrong about the damage in single vs auto modes, something about reading the wrong file, or one that was overwritten by another file.

So I guess my question is, how useful is a 15% reduction in aimerror?

Monolithos also unearthed some code around the same time for the damage ratios for the hunting shottie, either 6+6 for 2 single shots (in pellets) and 20 for alt-fire, OR 10+10 for 2 singles and 30 for alt-fire. I can't remember which.

Upvote 0
Monolithos pulled some code out a while back. If I'm not mistaken the thread that started the fallacy over the damage of single shot and auto-fire weapons started in the thread this was posted in. He does a good job of summing a few things up in this post though:

He apologizes on the next page for being wrong about the damage in single vs auto modes, something about reading the wrong file, or one that was overwritten by another file.

So I guess my question is, how useful is a 15% reduction in aimerror?

Monolithos also unearthed some code around the same time for the damage ratios for the hunting shottie, either 6+6 for 2 single shots (in pellets) and 20 for alt-fire, OR 10+10 for 2 singles and 30 for alt-fire. I can't remember which.

that's why i can never actually believe most of the random code statistics that people present as "fact". i like to rely on my own personal observations having played the amount of hours i have. like why i will say that a SCAR on semiauto is by far more effective against clots, crawlers, stalkers, gorefasts, and bloats (5/9 specimen) then used on full auto in short bursts. simple fact is that if one headshot can kill nearly 60% of the potential specimen instantaniously (with even perk/difficulty levels), then why fire a short burst of 3 rounds since you only need one shot to do the job?

think about it, say you have a SCAR and you have 25 bullets, that allows for less than 9 three-round short bursts which results in potentially 7 or 8 kills per mag. if you shoot all 25 of those shots semiauto, say even just half of those shots are instakills.... that's already a minimum of 12 kills with a potential of 25 if your shooting is accurate. i'd say on average, using a SCAR in semi auto mode, i will get about 16 or 17 kills per magazine used. that saves money by saving ammo, it reduces amount of reloads needed and it teaches more accurate shooting.

it's all just about personal trial and error. styles that work for some people in certain situations may not work well for others. the point of tactic type threads is for people to share their styles and it gives people ideas to toy with on their own to figure out what works the best. so far this thread appears to be doing just that :)

Upvote 0
Unless there's a good pile of shells on the ground around me after missing the clot in front of me with an entire Scar clip, then I'm just not satisfied.

No, but really, automatic is systematic and the only way to go for me. When I "go commando" my underwear isn't the only thing that comes off! My semi-auto switch does, too.

Upvote 0
that's why i can never actually believe most of the random code statistics that people present as "fact". i like to rely on my own personal observations having played the amount of hours i have. like why i will say that a SCAR on semiauto is by far more effective against clots, crawlers, stalkers, gorefasts, and bloats (5/9 specimen) then used on full auto in short bursts. simple fact is that if one headshot can kill nearly 60% of the potential specimen instantaniously (with even perk/difficulty levels), then why fire a short burst of 3 rounds since you only need one shot to do the job?

think about it, say you have a SCAR and you have 25 bullets, that allows for less than 9 three-round short bursts which results in potentially 7 or 8 kills per mag. if you shoot all 25 of those shots semiauto, say even just half of those shots are instakills.... that's already a minimum of 12 kills with a potential of 25 if your shooting is accurate. i'd say on average, using a SCAR in semi auto mode, i will get about 16 or 17 kills per magazine used. that saves money by saving ammo, it reduces amount of reloads needed and it teaches more accurate shooting.

it's all just about personal trial and error. styles that work for some people in certain situations may not work well for others. the point of tactic type threads is for people to share their styles and it gives people ideas to toy with on their own to figure out what works the best. so far this thread appears to be doing just that :)

totally true, and indisputable in theory. but just like you my opinion comes from practice, which introduces the factors of mobility in combination with accuracy.

so the real answer imo, is that semi auto is ultimately more effective when you can afford to use the irons, obviously the conservation of ammo and damage potential is increased in this situation.

but the universal answer, which is what I believe was the point of this thread, is that you can't rely on this at all times. so to me, full auto at a manually controlled rate is ultimately more effective.

Upvote 0
but the universal answer, which is what I believe was the point of this thread, is that you can't rely on this at all times.

No the universal answer is that you should practice for yourself both and judge the ratio of time out of an average round when semi is more effective vs when auto is more effective, factor in the time it takes to switch (minimal as it is) against leaving the gun on either mode.

For example, say I find that 90% of the time i fight more efficiently in semi, then my choice is between semi all the time vs keeping the gun on semi and switching to auto for the other 10%. Vice visa for auto.

If you find semi good for about 50% of the time and auto about 50%, then you should still switch between semi and auto, you're just indifferent between keeping it on semi vs auto.

I'll say unless you find a firing mode better for something close to 99% of the time of an average round, you should switch instead of leaving it in one mode.

Upvote 0
No the universal answer is that you should practice for yourself both and judge the ratio of time out of an average round when semi is more effective vs when auto is more effective, factor in the time it takes to switch (minimal as it is) against leaving the gun on either mode.

For example, say I find that 90% of the time i fight more efficiently in semi, then my choice is between semi all the time vs keeping the gun on semi and switching to auto for the other 10%. Vice visa for auto.

If you find semi good for about 50% of the time and auto about 50%, then you should still switch between semi and auto, you're just indifferent between keeping it on semi vs auto.

I'll say unless you find a firing mode better for something close to 99% of the time of an average round, you should switch instead of leaving it in one mode.

My love of all things spray and pray aside, I agree with you here. Semi-auto can be much more effective vs. full-auto in, like you said, about 90% of most situations. I believe semi-auto is more for accuracy, ammo conservation, and long range combat, where as full-auto is up-close-and-personal with the expected principal of mowing things down that get too close.

That's just my take on it. Play however you like, I'm not one to judge on this matter.

Upvote 0