• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

disassembling a clip magazine

The thing is that three rounds is still all you should ever need. If you need more then three rounds in one engagement, you're short of people on your side of the argument.

Shoot three, and if you still have any, strip them out with the bolt. It's foolproof enough that conscripts understand how it works.

Upvote 0
The thing is that three rounds is still all you should ever need. If you need more then three rounds in one engagement, you're short of people on your side of the argument.

Shoot three, and if you still have any, strip them out with the bolt. It's foolproof enough that conscripts understand how it works.

Well when you have 1 or 2 round left, and you have to shoot it in the ground because it would be stupid to go into CQB, with only 1 round. and when you shoot, you attract enemies. it's simply stupid. Whoever who did that in real combat is simply a moron.

to put it bluntly, it

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what the soldiers of the time were actually trained to do? I think that this is more of a matter of what the actual soldier of the time would do, rather than if it was physically possible. What does it matter if you can dump the ammo out of a kar98 if all the soldiers were trained to never do so in battle. If there isn't any evidence of soldiers either being trained to use the mag dump in combat, or of them just using it in the field, regardless of training, I don't see the point of it being ingame.

As for topping off, I could see you just shoving a partial stripper clip in, and retaining it for later use.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what the soldiers of the time were actually trained to do? I think that this is more of a matter of what the actual soldier of the time would do, rather than if it was physically possible. What does it matter if you can dump the ammo out of a kar98 if all the soldiers were trained to never do so in battle. If there isn't any evidence of soldiers either being trained to use the mag dump in combat, or of them just using it in the field, regardless of training, I don't see the point of it being ingame.

As for topping off, I could see you just shoving a partial stripper clip in, and retaining it for later use.

As far as I see it normally the squad leader would order his squad to check their ammo and reload if necessary before an oncoming assault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was more asking if soldiers were trained to use the mag dump on their firearms in battle, or if it was only for servicing the weapon.

Well I can't really talk about the direct combat training but keeping in mind what weapon the Germans used (Kar98k) makes you wonder about a few things.
The system 98 was specifically designed so that soldiers could cycle the bolt with the safety in the middle position. This afaik was used in training fairly often as soldiers trained loading and unloading the weapon, cycled through unspendt ammo after being on guard duty ect. The common practice was not to open the bottom of the magazine but to cycle through the remaining rounds. Allthought I doubt that the soldiers cared to switch the safety when in combat.

Upvote 0
Within the limits of the game, I think it should work like this;

Mosin
- Pressing the 'reload key' with 2, 3, 4, or 5 bullets left in the gun will initiate a 'mag dump animation' and a new stripper clip will be inserted.
- Pressing the 'reload key' with 1 bullet left in the gun will cycle the bolt, ejecting the last round, then reload a new stripper clip.

K98
- Pressing the 'reload key' will cycle the bolt and eject a single round.

I think this method fits within the game and doesn't require and extra key bindings. It brings a little extra realism into the game without over-complicating anything. Do you guys think this is realistic enough to cover what a soldier would normally do? The logic behind the Mosin is that a mag dump would be quicker than bolting, except in the case that there is only one round left.

Upvote 0
What i think would be the best for both mosin as k98.

When you hit the reload button you grab a stripper clip from your pouch. Then you insert it and push it down how far it goes. Then If your gun still had ammo inside you cant push it all the way in so you remove the stripperclip with still some bullets attached. But effectively topping off the rifle. And then put the half empty stripperclip back into your pouch at the end of the cue.

Upvote 0
I also think that riflemen should be able to manually eject unspent cartridges by working the bolt without firing a round.

This would make it so you could silently clear the mag to load a new stripper clip.

I think this would also be an easier solution to what the OP suggested, although that isn't a terrible idea, for example a alt-reload single feed option mapped to a key on the keyboard.

I'm for this idea

Upvote 0
What i think would be the best for both mosin as k98.

When you hit the reload button you grab a stripper clip from your pouch. Then you insert it and push it down how far it goes. Then If your gun still had ammo inside you cant push it all the way in so you remove the stripperclip with still some bullets attached. But effectively topping off the rifle. And then put the half empty stripperclip back into your pouch at the end of the cue.

I completely agree with this.

Maybe add another key that cycles the bolt Resistance and Liberation style (where you press a key, and it cycles the bolt and ejects a live round or casing with each press). Put this button off on the side of the keyboard, such as the + key.

If not, the Resistance and Liberation way is the second best option.

Upvote 0