• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Night Ops Weapon!

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Ok, here's an idea of balanced night vision solution that wouldn't spoil the gameplay and still would be useful:

Assault rifle with night vision system (M4 / M468 maybe?)

gun.jpg

-6 blocks of space
-Price: 1250 or 1500 (lower for commando)
-Damage higher than bullpup, but lower than AK47
-Reloading time similar to SCAR
-Moderate recoil
-30 round mag, max 8 mags total
-Firing modes: single/3-bullet burst (no auto)
-Night vision while in aiming mode, heavily obscured vision outside the scope, something like this (KF-Farm):

nightops.jpg

That would be pretty sweet on farm, getting crawlers in dark corners of offices and biotics, or westlondon night version. Also, wouldn't be much of a god mode if properly balanced. I think that 6-block, quite expensive weapon would make more sense than night vision goggles.

Like how you actually though out the weapon, if it was ingame it sounds like it would be pretty balanced.

I was going to suggest giving night vision to the AK47, but no.
What about altering the Bullpups scope to nightvision?

It's a good idea. If it's going to Commando though I think it makes more sense to go on our SCAR which is used to US SOCOM I think? Anyways makes it more tactical and you know? Have more of a difference from tier 2 to 3 weapons as opposed to less of a difference from tier 1 to 2.

I do agree the lifebar thing is kinda nightvision (not really but better than seeing nothing). I would say put it on the m14 or something but until they lower its damage or take away/reduce SS's straight damage buff to weapons..no. After sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im surprised so many people are against this idea O_O

In my opinion its genious, and im not even joking or being sarcastic.
Ive always been nagging about making unique weapons, and this is one! A weapon with a nightvision scope.

I think people are just against the idea of giving this weapon to commando. I kinda agree that it doesnt need another weapon, but if they were about to add some new perks at some point this weapon would be great. Or if they were to modify the excisting weapons, replace one or add the option of upgrading weaponary, then add this one.

Upvote 0
Im surprised so many people are against this idea O_O

In my opinion its genious, and im not even joking or being sarcastic.
Ive always been nagging about making unique weapons, and this is one! A weapon with a nightvision scope.

I think people are just against the idea of giving this weapon to commando. I kinda agree that it doesnt need another weapon, but if they were about to add some new perks at some point this weapon would be great. Or if they were to modify the excisting weapons, replace one or add the option of upgrading weaponary, then add this one.

Honestly, how many time have you lost a game because it was too dark and you couldn't see? Apart from the police station in west London I can't think of any places that are dark enough to need torches on. At most its a gimmicky idea and certainly doesn't need a weapon dedicated to it.

Upvote 0
Honestly, how many time have you lost a game because it was too dark and you couldn't see? Apart from the police station in west London I can't think of any places that are dark enough to need torches on. At most its a gimmicky idea and certainly doesn't need a weapon dedicated to it.

Most people AVOID the dark areas, ofc if you tried to fight in the "police station" you might actually get killed in the dark. But nobody just goes there, maybe just passing through but theres hardly any zeds down there if you arent camping there so no problem.

Its not that I just wanted to see in dark, I have increased gamma so darkness doesnt usually bother me (except for zero-light areas like the police station) I just think nightvision scope would be a cool addition, nevertheless.

And since it would be in a weapon, it wouldnt be used by everyone unlike if they added actual nightvision goggles.

Upvote 0
the Cmmando already has life bars come up, which pretty much serves as his night vision

Sort of, but if it's really dark you only see that's something is coming, not what kind of specimen. And since even on lvl 6 bars appear from < 16 meters, you can forget about taking precise headshots from far away with your AK47. If it's a bunch of gorefasts going berserk, you can only go full auto till your mag is empty and pray that your teammates will save your *** (speaking of hard/suicidal with lots of players).

Selective fire rifle with semi auto and burst option + nv would be useful for longer distances and scouting area ahead.

I have increased gamma so darkness doesnt usually bother me

And everything becomes bleak and looses any kind of climate. I want dark places to be dark and still be able to navigate and fight in that environment.

And since it would be in a weapon, it wouldnt be used by everyone unlike if they added actual nightvision goggles.

That's the point. A herd of sharpshooters with nv goggles would make no sense at all.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's an idea of balanced night vision solution that wouldn't spoil the gameplay and still would be useful:

Assault rifle with night vision system (M4 / M468 maybe?)

gun.jpg

-6 blocks of space
-Price: 1250 or 1500 (lower for commando)
-Damage higher than bullpup, but lower than AK47
-Reloading time similar to SCAR
-Moderate recoil
-30 round mag, max 8 mags total
-Firing modes: single/3-bullet burst (no auto)
-Night vision while in aiming mode, heavily obscured vision outside the scope, something like this (KF-Farm):

nightops.jpg

That would be pretty sweet on farm, getting crawlers in dark corners of offices and biotics, or westlondon night version. Also, wouldn't be much of a god mode if properly balanced. I think that 6-block, quite expensive weapon would make more sense than night vision goggles.

i like it, maybe with a grenade launcher ?
the idea of a semi-auto rifle ^^ thats interesting :cool:

Upvote 0
Most people AVOID the dark areas, ofc if you tried to fight in the "police station" you might actually get killed in the dark. But nobody just goes there, maybe just passing through but theres hardly any zeds down there if you arent camping there so no problem.

Its not that I just wanted to see in dark, I have increased gamma so darkness doesnt usually bother me (except for zero-light areas like the police station) I just think nightvision scope would be a cool addition, nevertheless.

So, only commandos with the night vision could go down there... none of the other perks?

Do you not see a problem with this?

Upvote 0
So, only commandos with the night vision could go down there... none of the other perks?

Do you not see a problem with this?

Well if you rather give nightvision ability to ALL perks then ok. Besides, anyone could buy this weapon as a backup if they wanted to see in dark. Unless it weighted so much nobody could carry it along their main weapon..

Absolutely no. His name is commando for a reason.

And besides, support with shotgun ligh, firebug, etc...

Everyone can go there, but badass will come back alive

Exactly :)

Whats with the negativity anyway? New weapon with a cool unique addition, whats not to like?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its stupid?

Let me translate... what Shambler means is in the game Killng Floor, night vision weapons wouldn't serve a great addition to Killing Floor.

My personal main concerns are: -

1) The ability to see stalkers and life bars serves as an ability to see in the dark for the Commando. It is one of HIS advantages. Therefore he doesn't need a night vision weapon, and no other perk should have the ability to replace him.

2) Like alot of suggestions it makes the game easier. The only perk this would be fair for is the Commando, and coupled with his ability to see stalkers and life bars free he would have a real easy time spotting anything that came near him, light or dark.

3) Coupled with Tier 3 weapons, the cost of stuff has gone up in Killing Floor. On suicidal it is quite difficult to get bought up, ESPECIALLY if you die. Having yet another thing to buy would cause more problems in cash flow, and also clutter up the trader even more.

I do see where people are coming from, and to be fair nightvision goggles aren't a bad idea at all. However one thing I really dont want to see Killing Floor become is a perpetual easy mode, made for morons and unskilled jackoffs like every other "main stream" game out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0