• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New uses for the Knife!

Prodi-G

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 7, 2010
First of all i'd like to say how brilliant the game is (aside from crashing my internet), i can honestly say i haven't been addicted to a game this much since WoW.... and that's saying something.

So to the point, the knife currently seems a bit useless to most people and you can't throw it away. Therefore it could be used to temporarily 'Disable' or 'Paralyze' a foe for a given period of time (such as 5-10 seconds)...ofcourse there would have to be a downside to doing this for example you could only do it once a round, or you could lose the knife alltogether resulting in you having to purchase a new one!

Hope this interests someone to get some feedback.

Regards, Prodi-G!

on solo this would be helpful (but who actually plays solo???)

but in a online game, you stick your knife into the bloat, and in a split second some guy with his M14 blasts away at it. then you get angry, "hey you saw me stick my knife into him, it was stunned!!!" and then a thread gets posted, "players keep stealing my kills when i have the zombies stunned", more threads appear until finally the feature is taken away.

Upvote 0
Hmm...stick it into a raging FP...n instead of a stun animation...make it like the pained expression juz like firebug's flame specimen freaking capabilities...'might' juz buy urself precious seconds to haf the FP blown to kingdom come lol...bt yea usable once:D it does sound like it has potential as a last min ditch resortx)

Upvote 0
I've always thought any type of stun would be very interesting in kf. I know you can with certain weapons in certain situations, but usually the stun is a result of not killing the thing in one shot. Like the m79 or crossbow. Another idea would be a flashbang or some other type of grenade that could temporarily disorient a small group of specimens. Like the fire animation/behavior but it doesn't deal damage over time or any damage for that matter. It would just be a nice crowd control feature that would probably be quite expensive considering it's potential.

Upvote 0
Obviously I realized that people use the knife to run faster etc, the idea of using this is pretty much for a last resort situation. For example where you may face several flesh pounders, using your knife to disable one of them will allow you to 'compose' yourself giving you time to kill any oncoming enemies without being overwhelmed. This may sound like it makes the game easier to some but the way I see it, you have to have pretty good aim and knowledge of your surroundings to be able to survive an onslaught of several flesh pounders while being bombarded by other zombies!

Upvote 0
The knife is an extremely useful weapon as all classes get it and it has a high RoF with a good change to decap.

If this was added, you'd have a minimun of 3 zerkers a game using the knife to stun anything and everything for 5+ seconds.

It has a poor range and poor damage.
And "good" chance to decap is the result of you HAVING to aim to the head because of it's poor damage and the decapping hitbox being huge because of how close you must be to actually HIT.

Upvote 0
So you think it's useless cuz you have to get close and aim for the head?

lolwut

No, I think it's useless because it deals the same damage as the 9mm. And we all know just how much everyone uses 9mm in late-game.
In desperate times, you'll use your 9mm before using your knife (unless you're a berserker, but if you are one, you probably have a Katana which is faster, has more reach and deals more damage) and if you can't get rid of everyone, you'll die before having the chance to switch to your knife.

That's why adding such a feature for the knife is useless.

Upvote 0
The knife works fine as is, being the "Burn rubbah, lads!" item for everyone but the katana berserkers.

And it already does stun clots enough for them to not grab you as you run by, IIRC. Haven't been able to play KF for a month or so. Anyways, that's about the best the knife should be able to stun anyways.

My only gripe is that it clutters the inventory menu occasionally, but I think the whole inventory management needs work anyways to address those problems.

Upvote 0