• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design WIP: KF-GEBunker

Criss

Dec 30, 2009
I always wanted to try to get into modeling or mapping and since I love Killing Floor so much, I decided to try making a map for it. I figured I should start with something simple, and so, with no previous mapping experience, I set out to recreate the Bunker map from Goldeneye, learning Unrealed along the way. Now after many hours and lots of messing around and experimenting with Unrealed, I finally have something functional that I feel good enough about to show you pros and get some first feedback. :)

So here are some screenshots of the map. Keep in mind that the lighting is mostly placeholder for now since I can't decide between clean lighting like the original Bunker or some KF-styled lights, in which case I have no idea what look I could give it. Also, there are some areas (like the storage room and the large airvent) that I'm not sure what textures to use so far considering the N64 originals were a bit plain. In any case, any ideas/suggestions/tips/criticism would be appreciated. :D

GEBunker01r.jpg

GEBunker02r.jpg

GEBunker03r.jpg

GEBunker04r.jpg

GEBunker05r.jpg

GEBunker06r.jpg

GEBunker07r.jpg

This looks fantastic, so far I haven't liked any of the goldeneye remakes but this looks very impressive.

With reguards to the lighting you should just play around and see what you come up with. It looks good with plenty of light but it might be too bright. Have you used lots of little lights? or just one big light?

The main problem with remakes is that they don't tend to play great since the design was for a different game style and so some changes are quite often required to make it more KF compatible.

If you want someone to help test out the gameplay you can rely on me :D and I'll leave you feedback both good and bad.

Upvote 0
since i am a big fan of horrorhospital and horrorhospital director cut i have to say this clean peace of cake needs some serious molesting.
blood, corpses, destruction.
gameplay wise many holes in walls and celings to make sure there is no save place.

the cellblock needs a way out and the controlroom must be the unsavest place in the whole level.

do this u have a winner.
dont do it u have a nice port...

keep up the good work

Upvote 0
as far as the lighting goes, personally i would go for killing floor style. This works well in the Facility port imo. global lighting settings are bland and the only reason its like that in N64.. is because it was N64 ;) You should definately play around with lighting before releasing the map. Light actors take some getting used to to get right, but just like most things in unreal ed its not hard once you get how they work.

Upvote 0
I've been messing around with the lighting and here's what it looks like so far. I tried to get a cold blueish-grey color for the main corridors. I also finally got myself to try making that large screen in the control room, and I'm really happy with how it came out (even if there's nothing displayed on it yet...).

GEBunker08.jpg

GEBunker09.jpg

GEBunker10.jpg

Upvote 0
This looks like one of the best indoor maps I've seen by far. Cannot wait until the release
Havent played many maps have you?

This map is very bland for my testes. Even though so was the golden eye map, I think you should spruse it up a bit. Add some corpses, things in the big open areas to block the players. (make em watch where they are going) And other things.

I hope this map flows good, cause it seems to me that it would be a little too ez to play, and a bit boring.

If you make it HELL like speed up the zombies, add wall stuff, blood, and other detail, I think it will be alot better

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Havent played many maps have you?

This map is very bland for my testes. Even though so was the golden eye map, I think you should spruse it up a bit. Add some corpses, things in the big open areas to block the players. (make em watch where they are going) And other things.

I hope this map flows good, cause it seems to me that it would be a little too ez to play, and a bit boring.

If you make it HELL like speed up the zombies, add wall stuff, blood, and other detail, I think it will be alot better

Thats a bit harsh, i think Voltali's comment was nice. I think the level is looking very nice, you have done some nice brushwork and the lighting in the corridors is spot on. You be the decider of what detail to put in and what not, after all, blood and guts does get rather repetitive. My only suggestion is add some consoles to the control room like there were in the original, that would fill that room up nice.

Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0
i didnt add any gore to my version of the GE Bunker, it just didnt feel right. it feels better when its very cold/pristine.

Criss: when you have a beta ready, id like to play your port of Bunker, followed by my port of Bunker. i also have a port of Facility. it would be neat to see your realistic version, as mine became more personal towards the end.

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure how I could speed up the zombies or their spawning, but so far it looked fine from the few test runs I did. Of course I didn't get to try with a full 6 man squad yet, but that's something for the beta release I guess. And while the map is functional, I still have a lot of detailing to do, from adding props to blood and extra decorations, so it should look a lot better than on the screenshots once I get some more stuff in.

Thats a bit harsh, i think Voltali's comment was nice. I think the level is looking very nice, you have done some nice brushwork and the lighting in the corridors is spot on. You be the decider of what detail to put in and what not, after all, blood and guts does get rather repetitive. My only suggestion is add some consoles to the control room like there were in the original, that would fill that room up nice.
I've already started looking into some consoles and computers for the control room from the static meshes of the official maps (including recent contest winners) and I can't seem to find anything fitting, so I suppose I'll try making my own. The only static meshes I made so far were simple things like the prison bars, so I still need to look into how I could make more complex things with all the detail needed for the control consoles.

i didnt add any gore to my version of the GE Bunker, it just didnt feel right. it feels better when its very cold/pristine.

Criss: when you have a beta ready, id like to play your port of Bunker, followed by my port of Bunker. i also have a port of Facility. it would be neat to see your realistic version, as mine became more personal towards the end.
Is your version the Oviamoire map you mentioned? I tried it a few days ago and it was somewhat familiar but... really different. I actually got lost in it a few times. :p I really like all the detail in it though... especially the corridors that were so bland in the original (and in my own map I suppose... I need to figure out a way to make my corridors stand out more from one another).

For my version of Bunker, I decided to go more with the nostalgia feel and keep the map as "Goldeneye" as possible while making only a few necessary changes to make it fit KF gameplay. Bunker already has a lot of intersecting corridors though, so I think it should fit well enough.

Upvote 0
I've already started looking into some consoles and computers for the control room from the static meshes of the official maps (including recent contest winners) and I can't seem to find anything fitting, so I suppose I'll try making my own. The only static meshes I made so far were simple things like the prison bars, so I still need to look into how I could make more complex things with all the detail needed for the control consoles.

There are lots of electrical gizmos and such in official maps, you aren't looking hard enough. I think in DetailSM there is an Electrical group with some things. Foundry has a control room and I think Wyre should have some of that stuff too. Biotics lab definately has control room equipment.

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure how I could speed up the zombies or their spawning, but so far it looked fine from the few test runs I did. Of course I didn't get to try with a full 6 man squad yet, but that's something for the beta release I guess. And while the map is functional, I still have a lot of detailing to do, from adding props to blood and extra decorations, so it should look a lot better than on the screenshots once I get some more stuff in.

Just add a gameinfo trigger, and set the spawn desirability to .1

or you can set that in the spawns themselves

comeon now

You need to search harder, there is a CRAP load.

just do what i did when i started mapping for kf. I went through EVERY SINGLE mesh packet and looked at EVERYTHING.

there is SOOO much

so I still need to look into how I could make more complex things with all the detail needed for the control consoles.

use the 2d brush, create your object then convert it to mesh.

but really there is no need for you, cause there is TONS of meshes that would fit this map

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont advise making meshes within the editor, use an external program.

so your saying you cant do this then

Shot00257.jpg

made that with the 2d brush. (took only about 2 hours) still working on the front seat (for the passengers) a little, i dont like that gap

Most people dont have the other programs. Other programs would be better BUT the 2d brush is fine to piece simple to complex objects together.

Now if you want more complex curves and crap then use an external program. BUT the 2d brush is fine for making what you want for this lvl.

all you have to do is mold each piece, then put them together like a puzzle

Last edited:
Upvote 0