• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

It has to be said...

omarfw

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Here Be Dragons
www.last.fm
I want the sirens red crap to be gone forever.

It is unrealistic, laggy as hell and completely unnecessary.

You don't have to be a rocket scientest to know that you shouldn't stand next to a siren.

We don't need a red cluster of polygons lagging our screen to let us know we shouldn't go by them. We have our health bars for that. The system is already set up perfectly that you don't need to see the radius of her scream to avoid it.

Why not just have them scream and have it damage people without any visual enhancement? That would be FAR more realistic. Right now people are more afraid of the red stuff then they are of the siren herself.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
while theyre at it, remove the bloat vomit, its unrealistic that a guy can vomit that much, and i dont need to see the vomit to know im going to be getting hurt - i have a health bar for that!!!!

At least the bloats vomit is something tangible. It's vomit, and the bloat is filled with it.

But the siren isn't emitting anything. She just screams and for some reason it makes red crap. What is that stuff? Why is it surrounding her when she screams? The vomit can be explained, the red stuff can not. I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that it's just as laggy if not more then fire and it doesn't help people avoid sirens at all. If you're close enough to a siren that you're at the edge of her scream, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's hurting us people with lower end machines. keep in mind that TWI stuck with the 2.5 engine with the purpose of making a game that everyone could play not just the people with beast machines and fat wallets. so don't ridicule me for complaining about fps lag caused by a regular event that is completely optional, im not the only one suffering cuz of it. the fps drop has gotten me killed more then a few times.

and when i say you have a health bar for that, i dont mean you should take 50 points of damage to figure out that you're too close, im saying people SHOULDN'T know when too close is which will make the siren more feared and dealt with at long range more often then not. and when you are only a bit into her field she only hits you for a few points of damage, i use that more often to see how close i am to a siren because i hate looking at them directly cuz of the lag.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a good idea.

Im hoping to build a good computer someday but right now im gaming on a compaq with an athlon II 1.9 GHZ and a geforce 8200m. I dont play killing floor anymore because of 1 simple thing. Smoke,Fire,and the siren scream are the worst optimized things in video game history. HELL YAH IM TALKING WORSE THAN CRYSIS DEMO RELEASE. I know since unreal made an extremely flawed engine thats cpu dependant mostly and not gpu dependant at all this contributes. But theres no reason if this was on source engine or doom 3 or IW4 or anything except UE I shouldnt be able to play this on at least medium-high on 1024x768(**** YOU LAPTOP MONITOR!!) If they wont remove it at least remove all the frame drops from fire,smoke and her annoying ****ing red stuff. Pardon my language not having the best time this new year(Broke up with BF :() Also comments on uber fail laptop are accepted.

Upvote 0
No offense intended, but to not be able to afford a good enough pc to run kf at least on low...
Seriously, though. I live in Brazil, a country with ridiculously high prices for pc-related stuff, and mine (it runs crysis pretty smoothly on medium settings - kf on maximum settings, running @1680x1050 on a 22" screen) cost me the equvalent of 600$. I pay 60$ a month. Doesn't seem too expensive to me...

Anyways. It's true that the siren "red crap" is rather unrealistic. It's a goddamn scream! So I vote yes to take it down, or at least give the option to do so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When one siren is walking up to me screaming, no problem. but when 3 of them sneak up behind me and then one after another screaming, and the red crap piles up, its worse than a spastic demoman's nade spam. I end up dieing from a lag spike rather than the screamers. so I fully support the turn off the red crap option, or a limit on how many screamer's screams you can see at a time

Upvote 0
I see your point, mate, and I agree with you. Thought you said at first to REMOVE the Siren entirely, lol.

But, The red orb of death can go, but shouldn't the shaking of your screen still stay there? If that wasn't there, Sharpshooters/Aimers would have no one true weakness anymore.

Upvote 0
I want the sirens red crap to be gone forever.

It is unrealistic
And right there is where you lost me. "Unrealistic" in a game of infected creatures that were conjured up by a scientist who is HIMSELF a product of his experiments. Creatures that crawl on walls, go invisible, vomit at will, shoot fireballs, have blades for arms, glowing cores in their torso, and all of which are being hunted down by people in suits with gas masks, rave outfits, and the sort.

But the red scream... that is unrealistic.

Upvote 0
I'd say keep the red stuff myself, yes its not very realistic, but it REPRESENTS what it is meant to. Personally, if I had never played the game before and the first time I died to the scream without the red indication I would be thinking "What the frag was that?"

Second time would be "What the hell is going on? Is she screaming to kill me?"

Third time is "FFS yes it is her scream killing me... but what is its range?"

I will bow out to a option to turn it off for low end machines, but it should definately be kept in. If anything were to be done to it, making it a pale grey and making it hard to see (so that it looks like the air is warping) would be the only change I would make. But I myself rather like the red scream. Looks menacing. ;)

Upvote 0