• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Adding support to special characters

brphoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
S
brphoenix.deviantart.com
It's normal to see, in-game, not every single character show up properly (by "character" I mean of course letters, numbers, punctuation marks...). I'm used to it by now.

But Killing Floor doesn't even support spaces, replacing them with underlines. The regular | appears as a capital i.

True, this isn't gamebreaking, but since many steam games have support for most special characters, players end up having complex nicks, like one I used to have:

It's normal to see, in-game, not every single character show up properly (by "character" I mean of course letters, numbers, punctuation marks...). I'm used to it by now.

But Killing Floor doesn't even support spaces, replacing them with underlines. The regular | appears as a capital i.

True, this isn't gamebreaking, but since many steam games have support for most special characters, players end up having complex nicks, like one I used to have:

Upvote 0
if some arsehole comes into my server who i want to kick, but has a name like André. What would i do? cos i dont know how to use those special characters straight off my keyboard

Simple.

Log in as administrator. Go to the kick voting menu screen. Select the douche who has all the special characters and click "Kick". He's gone. This avoids you having to type anything into the console command.

Glad I could help :)

Upvote 0
I always had the idea that people who use special characters are dysfunctional.

Now this is offensive to people who have accents on their name, because those are considered "special" characters.

Plus, people use special characters to add personality to their nicks. Mine for instance is ЪяקҺөєиιҳ. I don't even want to see what happens in KF. But I know it's pure gibberish.

But, while I don't really mind changing my nick to normal characters when I play KF, some people do, especially those that have special characters in their REAL name. Hence this suggestion.

Upvote 0
Brought this up a while back over here:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=39151

Basically, I said -

The only reason I really bring this up is because the in-game name is derived from the Steam name, which has multiple uses in multiple games. For example, users who play TF2 might have special characters in their name, which are fully supported by TF2. Then, to play KF and have their name be legible, it becomes a requirement to change their name in Steam before firing up KF.

So yes, I agree that we need special character support.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who uses Webadmin? You'll never have this problem that way.

That's ONE of the problems.

The other one is that people don't WANT their names to look like gibberish. People are actually too lazy to change their name everytime they want to play KF. Some just have a long name, so they don't even bother.

In the end, try saying this in your mic:

"Hey D~A~@$^##!@, can you heal me?"

You'll be dead before you finish.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who uses Webadmin? You'll never have this problem that way.

Web admins are alright if your spectating or if your playing on normal, but in a hectic Suicidal game, having to minimise your game for 30 seconds to access the web admin to boot someone is a real hole.

I usually have to ask a friend on skype who isnt in game to log in for me and kick someone.

At least with console you can still see the game and clsoe if a Group of crawlers start chewing on your succulant tush :)

Upvote 0