• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun mods

Herborist

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2009
I apologize beforehand if this has already been requested/suggested.

I think that Killing Floor did variation and specialization really well. The perks are different enough to warrant different strategies, and they add great replay value. Why not continue on and diversify even more?

I propose a new section be added to the shop which features modifications. Not only gun modifications, but also armor and grenades. They could either all be open to every class, or each class would get 2-4 different "mods" for each different item class (gun, armor, grenade).

A great example of this sort of system would be Borderlands.

There was actually another topic like this not long ago.

Ill just reply the same I did on the other topic: Customizing weaponary and armor is always fun and Id love to have that option in all my games, but it might be too complicated for Killing Floor. You know, balancing issues and the shortage on time beetween waves.

I doubt theyll be doing anything like that any time soon, if ever.

Upvote 0
There was actually another topic like this not long ago.

Ill just reply the same I did on the other topic: Customizing weaponary and armor is always fun and Id love to have that option in all my games, but it might be too complicated for Killing Floor. You know, balancing issues and the shortage on time beetween waves.

I doubt theyll be doing anything like that any time soon, if ever.

Sadly, they're eventually going to run out of ideas. At that time they can either start exploring new options, release/begin work on KF2, or just work on something else entirely.

I don't get why we have limited time in the shop anyway; I've only been pressed for time when I join a new game and spawn far away. Every other time I make my way there slowly and have ample time.

Upvote 0
Believe the suggestion to mod your weapons in the menu for quick buying in the trader wwas in the other thread. Didn't think that was a bad idea myself. Although that being said some weapons naturally have more mod choices than others...

Demo's could have a noob tube on the ak I suppose giving them explosive and normal range cover fire tho, which sounds cool ^^

Upvote 0
Believe the suggestion to mod your weapons in the menu for quick buying in the trader wwas in the other thread. Didn't think that was a bad idea myself. Although that being said some weapons naturally have more mod choices than others...

Demo's could have a noob tube on the ak I suppose giving them explosive and normal range cover fire tho, which sounds cool ^^

The mods wouldn't necessarily have to have real world counterparts, but even if they did, you can add a scope and a clip extension to practically any gun. I realize a scope would defeat the purpose of iron sights, but that's just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
Issues:
Balance -AA12 with extended clip? or EBR with scope?

Time - with trader time being next to nothing on large maps on suicidal do you really have time to do this

Realism/Capatability - extended drum clip? scoped scoped weapon? Scoped katana?

Beserker gets crapped on, as usual.

The current drum is the most extended clip for aa12 already. Others have 10(I think) magazine.

Time, well, buyer beware?

Realism: all recent weapon have the rail system, allow almost anything to be place on them, from bi-pod to scope or noob tube, etc. Very real. Obviously, if you put on a noob tube, you lost hand grip and have more weight, thus lose accuracy and more recoil. Things could be balance that way.

Upvote 0
Issues:
Balance -AA12 with extended clip? or EBR with scope?

Time - with trader time being next to nothing on large maps on suicidal do you really have time to do this

Realism/Capatability - extended drum clip? scoped scoped weapon? Scoped katana?

Beserker gets crapped on, as usual.

Nobody said that every weapon gets the same mods, so most of your issues are ridiculous.

Time is only an issue at first, but as users become more familiar with the system they'll make the choices instinctively and plan ahead, just as they do now.

I'm not going to bother addressing realism in a discussion about gun modifications for a video game.

I never said the only mods would be gun mods - armor and grenade mods would help berserkers, and they could have their own line of special armor mods that turn them into tanks, or cheetahs. You have to use your imagination and stop confining yourself to real world parts.

Upvote 0
Nobody said that every weapon gets the same mods, so most of your issues are ridiculous.
Well then, who would get what and how would they be balanced. A proper response to an issue that was brought up is to show how it's not. Otherwise your opinion isn't worthwhile. I brought up a very valid concern, ie mods could be very unbalanced and some guns are god mode to begin with much less with mods.

Time is only an issue at first, but as users become more familiar with the system they'll make the choices instinctively and plan ahead, just as they do now.
Accessing parts of the menu becomes more complex as you add sections. Clearly people will get used to it but it will still take additional time to access mods and in suicidal your time is limited to start with. If you could specify mods before hand to be in your mod section in the trader interface it might work better but you sacrifice versatility.

I'm not going to bother addressing realism in a discussion about gun modifications for a video game.
Realism is important for immerse experience and certain mods would seem clunky or odd. This is a low level concern but is important to the gamer's experience so it should still be considered.

I never said the only mods would be gun mods [...] their own line of special armor mods that turn them into tanks, or cheetahs. You have to use your imagination and stop confining yourself to real world parts.
The thread is called Gun Mods.

Despite the fact that these berserker mods have questionable balance their relevance is also called into question. But that is for another thread.

Upvote 0

I never said the only mods would be gun mods - armor and grenade mods would help berserkers, and they could have their own line of special armor mods that turn them into tanks, or cheetahs. You have to use your imagination and stop confining yourself to real world parts.

if this "cheetah" armour you speak of increases speed.

Level 6 medic will be unkillable

Upvote 0
Well then, who would get what and how would they be balanced. A proper response to an issue that was brought up is to show how it's not. Otherwise your opinion isn't worthwhile. I brought up a very valid concern, ie mods could be very unbalanced and some guns are god mode to begin with much less with mods.

The point of this thread is to show TWI that we're interested in "modifications" by stimulating discussion and generating ideas. I do have some specific ideas, but I wanted this to be more than a criticism of my own personal ideas. Obviously I'm not asking them to implement anything gameplay breaking.

Accessing parts of the menu becomes more complex as you add sections. Clearly people will get used to it but it will still take additional time to access mods and in suicidal your time is limited to start with. If you could specify mods before hand to be in your mod section in the trader interface it might work better but you sacrifice versatility.

By that logic, they should also never add any new weapons because they'd place further pressure on players in a small time window. It won't kill you to "waste" a little time and read up on the mods while in shop - maybe you'll get a mod you want a wave later that first time, but you won't know what you're missing if you ignore them entirely. Having said that, mods may not even necessarily be sold in the shop; perk extensions and specializations are a heretofore unexplored area.

Realism is important for immerse experience and certain mods would seem clunky or odd. This is a low level concern but is important to the gamer's experience so it should still be considered.

Considered yes, but we shouldn't be strangled by it.

The thread is called Gun Mods.

An attention grabber. Lighten up.

Despite the fact that these berserker mods have questionable balance their relevance is also called into question. But that is for another thread.

I haven't listed any specifics yet (look above as to why), but I'm sure that anything implemented will be both relevant and valuable.

Responses in bold/italicized.

if this "cheetah" armour you speak of increases speed.

Level 6 medic will be unkillable

It was just a suggestion, and not necessarily for every class at that. Don't focus on specifics, and voice some ideas of your own instead of just poking holes in mine.

Upvote 0
lol laser sight is a pretty obvious one, its a laser that acts much like a crosshair like the m14 its cost would be 150 or 200 i suppose

In my opinion, the M-14 only has a laser sight because its iron sights are relatively bad, but besides that, they wouldn't be particularly useful on many weapons.

Should of said that then, eh?

I thought it was implied.

Heres an idea. If were gunna get into gun mods for killing floor and realism and all that but it has all these issues heres something that will help.

http://www.moddb.com/games/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/downloads/mod-tools-sdkhttp://www.moddb.com/games/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/downloads/mod-tools-sdk

It would be easier to make a KF mod for Cod4 since it has lots of magical attachments then add all this stuff to KF like in Cod4.

I'm not looking for a mod, I'm looking for an official release.

Upvote 0
It is in the general opinion of the high-level KF Players that adding more modifications to the game is a terrible idea

The guns are fine, Modifications start making imbalance more obvious and taking away from some of the "Feel" of the game (Adding crosshairs through a laser to every weapon, for instance)

no need to complicate the trader and simplify the already very simple game

Upvote 0