• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

disassembling a clip magazine

Matt Baker

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
i would like if we could disassemble a bolt rifle magazine and reload one and one shot it would be good for noobs so they don’t shoot two shots in the wall to reload before CQB.

They could just reload 3 bullets like it was a rifle with scope.

But you would of course have to disassemble the mag first.

please send me mail, anything if you like it
or comment :)

Last edited:
I also think that riflemen should be able to manually eject unspent cartridges by working the bolt without firing a round.

This would make it so you could silently clear the mag to load a new stripper clip.

I think this would also be an easier solution to what the OP suggested, although that isn't a terrible idea, for example a alt-reload single feed option mapped to a key on the keyboard.

Upvote 0
If you're able to reload your weapon when its still half full, to me it would make the most sense to top it off with a new stripper clip. And save that half unused stripper clip for when you top off another clip later on.

As bolting to eject the rounds and then inserting a new clip of 5 rounds, simply takes longer initially. Than only adding 3 additional rounds and keeping one clip with say 2 rounds. Wether you end up being left with empty bullets or empty clips doesnt matter to me you carry 15 of those things in RO enough to kill 75 enemy soldiers.

I do hope that there is a way, to add some additional bullets to my rifle, without forcing myself to fire the remaining bullets to a random wall. (i always try to engage new enemies with 5 bullets in my rifle).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my experience reenacting and using a K98, I find it awkward to reload a stripper clip or a magazine, because then you are left with an odd number of rounds. Not to mention it takes some time, and its definitely not on your priorities in a real war zone.

And who wants to keep track of a bunch of half-loaded clips?

You'd never really know how much ammo you have.

Upvote 0
i would like if we could disassemble a bolt rifle magazine and reload one and one shot it would be good for noobs so they don’t shoot two shots in the wall to reload before CQB.

There was a long discussion about this earlier. Search it, you find all the possible arguments there. ;)

If you're able to reload your weapon when its still half full, to me it would make the most sense to top it off with a new stripper clip. And save that half unused stripper clip for when you top off another clip later on.

Yes. This would be the right way to do it.

I still think it's silly.

Bolt rifles aren't exactly fast as it is. And if you really need those extra rounds, you're still stuck manually bolting anyway.

You're better off just using what you have. Otherwise you can hang tight for a second and spend your last rounds on someone, then reload.

But this wouldn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Put yourself in a soldier's boots.

A huge battle is going on in a ruined city. You're inside a building and faced with a long hallway with many rooms on the left and right. Anybody could pop out at any moment so you need to be ready. Your bolt rifle has 3 rounds left, one is chambered.

Do you:

A) Stop in the hallway and eject one round to load 3 more, leaving yourself wide open to attackers for the amount of time it takes to half-load your weapon and place its remainder back in your pouch?

or

B) Keep that round chambered, fix a bayonet, and have your finger on the trigger and ready to take out whatever gets in your way? Instead of sacrificing precious time for an extra three rounds you'll likely not be able to use in close quarters anyway, you can reload at a later point once the situation calls for it. The magic of RO's manual bolting.

Say you chose option A. In game terms you more or less engaged in a longer reload sequence. Interrupting it (in a perfect world where this is possible) would leave you with 2 rounds, should someone show themselves. Should you get the chance to finish, you have five rounds, but what advantage does this really give you? Your bolt action rifle is good for one, maybe two misses in a perfect close quarters scenario. If you can't stop a confrontation with two rounds you probably didn't have a good chance in the first place.

So option B must be the more timely and overall sensible choice. You have your 3 rounds, and most of all you're able to focus on the situation and not managing your ammunition. You also won't have a half-loaded clip in your pouch. Once you've spent your 3 rounds you can reload as usual and get back to the fight.

"Topping off" bolt action rifles is, in my opinion, foolish to do anywhere but in a quiet situation where you are not in immediate danger. And in RO, that situation is almost never present unless you're sitting at the edge of the world taking shots at pixels in a field. The process would be longer and would cause people to lose track of exactly how much ammunition they have left. It would only serve to complicate a situation that really can't be helped anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If anybody can popup any moment i wont reload. The case being is at many a time i know nobody will popup and that im safe for a bit, atleast enough to reload.

Reloading takes a long time, and thats why i rather reload at any moment where its relatively save to do so, than doing it while being in the middle of a firefight, fire one bullet and then being forced to reload as i only had one bullet in my rifle, causing my death.

What difference does 5 over 4 bullets mean pretty much nothing but the difference over 1 or 2 bullets is pretty big. If i can choose to go into an assault for a capzone with 5 bullets ready or 2 bullets ready then i know what i will do. At the current time i often empty all my 2 or 3 leftover bullets by firing into a wall in RO, and thats what i would prefer to avoid.

------------

So the question should be:

A: do you rather have players in RO, firing bullets in the sky or against a wall to empty their rifle so they can reload it. What currently already happens.

B: Or do you prefer people to just not waste ammo and just either remove those 2 bullets by bolting, or topping it off with a stripper clip.

-----
Note in anyway i think that animations should be interruptable. There is no sense that if you're reloading or bolting, that you cannot stop that and run away from a grenade falling in your room.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, like I said the Mosin has a swing-open door at the bottom of the magazine that dumps its contents. I say if people want to reload a full mag (which sometimes you DO want to do, if you're behind solid cover), then you might as well put it in, as it's realistic. Here's how I would see it happening after you hit reload:

1.) Open bolt, ejecting the current cartrige (if there's one in there)
2.) Open the magazine dump, emptying the contents onto the ground (you loose all this ammo, similar to prematurely reloading the M1 in DH). You're not going to be scrambling around picking up spare cartridges out of the mud in the middle of battle.
3.) Swing mag door closed.
4.) Load new stripper clip, and close bolt.

Whole thing should maybe take three seconds or so. You're not slowly bolting out each round one at a time, or fumbling around trying to load half a stripper clip. I'm not sure if the K-98 has a similar swing-open-magazine, but if the Mosin has it you should be able to use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think if the player is worried about the two rounds he still has in his magazine, and wants to have a full magazine, an animation should be implemented as in Resistance and Liberation. This animation, for the K98, has the play ejecting each round from his rifle (pressing R repeatedly) until the magazine is empty. When its empty and you press R again, you reload a new clip.

In my opinion, this is much more logical than getting a new stripper clip out of your ammunition pouch, sliding bullets off of it, putting the rest back in the ammunition pouch, opening your bolt, putting the bullet that just ejected back into the magazine, and then loading the X ammount of additional bullets from the other stripper clip.

Comments?

Upvote 0
What i suggest is not taking a stripper clip and removing the bullets from it and inserting those manually. Its inserting the stripper clip on the rifle. Pushing down the bullets into the rifle and then remove the stripperclip with say still 2 or 3 bullets attached to it (as i assume once 5 bullets are in it just doesnt go any further.

But basically manually bolting your weapon to remove some bullets out of the rifle to reload a full clip. Would have the same effect. And being able to use those 2 bullets later on to top off a rifle aint even that important (although it would be nice) as you usually have plenty of ammo.

So the method i don't really care about, what i do care about is that im not forced to fire my 2 rounds and possibly give away my position because i want to have 5 fresh bullets in my rifle.

YouTube - Loading A Mosin Nagant (High Quality) ^ this way of emptying your mosin would be best though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
YouTube - Loading A Mosin Nagant (High Quality) ^ this way of emptying your mosin would be best though.

Looks like the k98 does in fact have a mag dump, although not quite as convienent as the Mosins:

YouTube - How to load a K98 (With a stripperclip)[/URL]

I'd love if TWI would implement these as a way to reload the bolt-actions mid-way.

Also, what's up with all these people REMOVING THE BOLT FOR SAFETY!!!!! ? If you don't move the bolt forward and chamber a round, the firing pin is never going to come in contact with the cartridges. And if your gun is in working order the firing pin isn't going to magically release itself without you pulling the trigger.

Upvote 0
I do think that for both perhaps working the bolt 3 times could be a faster method.

Perhaps for the K98, but the guy in the Mosin video is being extremely slow and purposeful in his movements, it's possible to do it a LOT faster. You basically pop the bottom open in half a second and dump everything out, then slap it back shut. I have a feeling the K-98 is like that also, but that guy chose to use a tool for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
Do you know what you're talking about? You NEED to use a tool for the K98 trap door. You take the cleaning rod segment and push down a recessed button, which then allows you to slide the door to the side and open it. Its not easy at all, it wasn't meant to be done in the field. At least for the K98.

Or use the intended tool, a cartridge.

Upvote 0