• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three ways to hold a gun- too many?

I think there should be 3 stances:

1) Hipshooting, as it is in RO: Ost

2) A stance in which the soldier has the gun pointing up, across the chest, grasped with both hands. I've seen this often in newer war movies (like SPR or Band of Brothers). It's similar to the sprinting position but it allows the wielder to bring the gun to I.S. quicker. This position would require a different movement speed--perhaps running as fast as from the hip, but draining stamina after a certain distance.

3) I.S. with a slight zoom. However, you shouldn't be able to move around so easily in I.S. as you can in RO: Ost. I can't count how many times I've came up to a guy lying prone with I.S. only to have him spin 180 and kill me in like one second (even harder for me when I bounce all over the place upon stepping on someone).

A related suggestion:

I'm not certain if this is already being implemented, but maybe since RO: HoS will have Heroes, they should have perks like being able to switch between stances quicker, and going to I.S. Of course, I think any perks given to those with Hero status should be lost unless they play fairly often.

Another thought: If a player has Hero status and dies during a round, then when he respawns he is no longer a Hero, but an average soldier. This would reset after each game/match/round. This would prevent Heroes from negatively affecting gameplay.

Upvote 0
I am very keen on TWI's idea of making controls of the game far more intuitive and realistic, which is why I brought this topic up.

My suggestion is the following:

There should only be two ways to shoot: iron sights and zoomed in iron sights.

By default the weapon should always be in the low ready so that its not visible on the screen. The logic is that it should not obstruct your view.

If a player presses fire, the weapon is brought to the iron sight mode in a split second and fired. The weapon will stay in this position for a few more seconds and if no more shots are fired it will be lowered automatically. Note that this is only a visual effect, there is no delay between the time you press fire and the time when the weapon fires.

What are the views on this?
I don't believe a low ready position was taught back then. Hip shooting with SMG's was done back then as Russian soldiers did not have the best training and even some German soldiers didnt. Perhaps hip shooting should only be allowed with smgs and not rifles or pistols. Another thing they should change about hip shooting is to make the weapon less visible. In RO, currently, it looks like the weapon is shouldered.

Upvote 0
I don't believe a low ready position was taught back then. Hip shooting with SMG's was done back then as Russian soldiers did not have the best training and even some German soldiers didnt. Perhaps hip shooting should only be allowed with smgs and not rifles or pistols. Another thing they should change about hip shooting is to make the weapon less visible. In RO, currently, it looks like the weapon is shouldered.

It does look like the rifle is being shouldered when hipshooting it. This needs fixed

Upvote 0
Imo, the gun lying on the hip thing looks weird. The soldiers look like gorillas with their arms like that :p

So my proposal is that if you carry a rifle the rifle stock should be in your armpit. Why? Because that's probably the most natural way to carry something long. That way you can have your other arm free. But then for SMG's the rambo hip style would be proper I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thought: If a player has Hero status and dies during a round, then when he respawns he is no longer a Hero, but an average soldier. This would reset after each game/match/round. This would prevent Heroes from negatively affecting gameplay.

Ah yes. This is a good idea.

I for one am extremely worried about the whole 'heroes' thing and I hope there's something like this in place.

BTW, anybody want to take bets on how long it takes for the average server population to be over 50% heroes?

Edit: Tripwire once said "Other war games make you feel like youre in a war movie, Red Orchestra makes you feel like you're in a war." Which way do you think this 'Heroes' sh.t is taking RO?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Imo, the gun lying on the hip thing looks weird. The soldiers look like gorillas with their arms like that :p

So my proposal is that if you carry a rifle the rifle stock should be in your armpit. Why? Because that's probably the most natural way to carry something long. That way you can have your other arm free.

Yes. The rifle should rest in the armpit, well actually not in the armpit, but bit lower, in between side and arm. Like you stated, weapons are now hanging too low. Natural stance of the gun is higher. And shooting "from the armpit" is much more realistic and natural than shooting from very low, from hips.

Ofcourse you still would need both of your arms to hold the weapon to shoot somewhat accurate.

But then for SMG's the rambo hip style would be proper I think.

Actually I think it should be the same as with rifles, the way you suggested rifles to be.

They taught and they used (at least in the Finnish army) to shoot "intuitive" (no sights used) fire with SMGs and the stance was that the butt of the SMG rests in between arm and side bit under the armpit. And I think they did it just the same way in other armies too. Since it

Upvote 0
You are starting the carousel now. Shouldered, hip, sighted.. who cares! My point is clear as day: three ways to shoot is too many, so sights and zoomed in sights are the perfect mix.
Yes, staying in sights is the best solution, because we don't need situational awareness because this isn't World War 2 and we are all sitting in trenches shooting.

Upvote 0
i dont think so, maybe when crouching?:confused:

It looks like the weapon is shouldered from the first person view.

Aka if you really walked with a weapon at your hip you wouldnt see it on your screen, unless your camera is in your belly ;)

As you see your weapon in first person so you can actually aim at something and look at something, it looks like its more around shoulder hight.

Upvote 0

Aka if you really walked with a weapon at your hip you wouldnt see it on your screen, unless your camera is in your belly ;)

As you see your weapon in first person so you can actually aim at something and look at something, it looks like its more around shoulder hight.

i know, but i was thinking of 3rd person view, not 1st person ;)

Upvote 0

It looks like it's under his armpit actually. The way the iron animations work suggests that too.

Shouldered would take up a huge part of your view tbh.

Upvote 0