• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Good Racing game controller for PC?

Aye, there's no reason to buy a G27 if you can get a G25 cheaper, the G27 is a small improvement in some ways, having a few more buttons and a slightly nicer feel to the FF and shifting, and you can adjust the position of the pedals a bit, it also has an LED rev-counter, but it's also a step backwards in other ways, it's gear wont work in sequential mode anymore (so you can't use it with older/more casual games that don't support a H-shift, you have to use the flappy-padels, whereas on the G25 you had a choice to use the stick aswell in sequential mode), and thouse 6 buttons on the wheel are placed poorly, it's quite easy to hit one by accident when turning, and thouse LED's are only supported by a few games at the moment.

So if you can get the G25 cheaper, then it's good value for your bux, the G27 is not a big enough improvement to warrent the extra cost (if you have to pay extra, anyway), hell, with the G25 getting replaced and all, there's never been a better time to buy one, most places they will go cheap (much cheaper than they are worth), as they are trying to get them out of stock to make room for the G27.

Upvote 0
If you want a recommendation: try live for speed. While it features mostly fictional content, it's still the most realistic driving sim out there (only betsed by the expensive and subscription absed iRacing), and it's quite cheap.
Even better, it's so awesome that the demo alone (3 cars, 1 track) keeps people hooked for years. And it's got by far the best multiplayer concernign speed, stability and ease of use.

On a sidenote: GRiD sucks with a wheel, as it's arcardey physics are clearly meant to be played with a gamepad. Also, starting with titles like RD3 teaches you bad habits you'll find difficult to unlearn once you start with real sims... just as would activating driving aids in those sims.

We should race something sometime, I would opt for either GTR Evo (haven't bought race on yet, and while the sounds are very good, the physics are a tad off. But it's worth for the Nordschleife alone) or Live for Speed. Or rFactor (especially with Niels Corvette or Supra, the only good cars for it)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have always wanted to create a setup built for a proper driving sim. Track IR and G25 are the two fundamental components i want to build around.

A few questions:

Does LFS support Track IR fully?
Does the clutch pedal in LFS react realistically? Is there a biting point? Can you stall? Can you blow the gearbox if you do not shift correctly?
Does the registered version consist of mainly GT cars or can you screw around with hot hatches? More specifically does Honda have a decent line up? (I love Honda VTEC engines!)

Upvote 0
I have always wanted to create a setup built for a proper driving sim. Track IR and G25 are the two fundamental components i want to build around.

A few questions:

Does LFS support Track IR fully?
Yes. And it natively supports multiscreen setups.
Does the clutch pedal in LFS react realistically?
Not 100%, but more realistically than in all other games.
Is there a biting point?
not really. at the moment, it's gradual from not engaged (pedal pressed fully) until fully engaged (pedal not pressed at all)
Can you stall?
yes
Can you blow the gearbox if you do not shift correctly?
not at the moment, but you can overheat the clutch, which leaves you stranded until it's cooled down. Which takes very long.

Does the registered version consist of mainly GT cars or can you screw around with hot hatches? More specifically does Honda have a decent line up? (I love Honda VTEC engines!)
No vtec cars in it, as the engine simulation isn't complex enough to cope with variable timed valves, and the devs don't want to fake such an effect by merely emulating the torque curve,a s that wouldn't make the engine behave realistically in all circumstances.
For a complete carlist, check here.

I answered many things with "at the moment", as LfS is in constant developement since 03, with things constantly getting updated. Right now, we wait for an update with completely new tyre physics, the new VW Scirocco and the first real and laserscanned track, rockingham.

Upvote 0
Live for Speed is currently the most feature-rich and realistic race simulator.
It does seem to be lacking in the BMW Sauber F1.06, but I can't think of a single game which represents a F1 car properly.

It's 24 GBP and you really won't get bored with it soon. You can even paint your car! :D

Another good game is GTR Evolution, it isn't as realistic as LFS, but it's a good second place race sim.

Upvote 0