• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M14 EBR = disappointment

I'm not going to comment on the M14 because I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

However, OP admits in first post to using it on Heresy3. I've seen this map and it is just the worst, I really hope it isn't whitelisted. Imagine spawning in the middle of farm and seeing zeds spawn at the edge of the map and take 3 minutes to get to you. That's what this map is like.

So my point is, weapons are balanced for the official KF maps or at least maps that made an effort to fit in with KF gameplay. Use M14 on WestLondon and get back to us if you still think it needs a scope.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to comment on the M14 because I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

However, OP admits in first post to using it on Heresy3. I've seen this map and it is just the worst, I really hope it isn't whitelisted. Imagine spawning in the middle of farm and seeing zeds spawn at the edge of the map and take 3 minutes to get to you. That's what this map is like.

So my point is, weapons are balanced for the official KF maps or at least maps that made an effort to fit in with KF gameplay. Use M14 on WestLondon and get back to us if you still think it needs a scope.

So you've never used it yet felt the need to comment on its use? Interesitng.

As for Heresy3... unless its not the map i'm thinking of you are simply talking out your arse. Compared with Arcade Shopping Centre, frankly a joke of a map given the extremely long corridors that zeds can do nothing but shuffle down slowly, Heresy is nothing. Its probably no bigger than WestLondon either and if your trying to snipe at long range on a Scope is far better than the Iron Sights. If your having trouble aiming at a target thats closer than when its further away there is something wrong with YOU not the Scope.

Upvote 0
I do find it to be a challenge hitting things at super long range with the M14, but as far as I'm concerned that's just its tradeoff for being pretty much the be-all and end-all of guns on KF. I can solo anything with it, it has the ammo to last out a full wave even if your whole team dies. Hell if your team doesn't die you can probably make the ammo last 3 waves.

It's crazy overpowered if anything, I await an ammo capacity nerf.

Upvote 0
When I saw that its possible to buy an M14, I came.
When I realised its tacticooled crap, I raged

WOOD AND STEEL, DAMNIT

Wow. In real life there is an active effort to replace wood and steel weapons like old M-14's into modern stocks. As a matter of fact the M-14 you see in the game is called the "EBR" or "enhanced battle rifle," basically they tool old M-14s and stripped the guts from the old rifle parts and threw them inside a composite stock.

Why did they do this? They did it because composite material is lighter and it's extremely durable and the picatinny rail allows you to make it completely modular. The collapsible stock also means it's adjustable, something that's hard to do with a wood and steel stock. And the pistol grip is...um, a pistol grip, dude. It gives you a better hold of your weapon.

Something tells me you have no clue what "tacticool" actually entails and why it's done.

Upvote 0
I'll have to agree with you on that, dave. I'm not a fan of all those fugly rails ><

Why? are they too functional for you?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail
[/URL]

The only reason you have so many grenade launchers, aimpoints, and laser sights on modern firearms is because we standardized the railing system.

Are you advocating stupidity for the sake of aesthetics?

Here's your wood and steel:

STG44.jpg

Not only is it ugly, it's heavy and you can't do anything with it without some very specialized parts that are difficult to manufacture and have low availability.

The whole reason behind the picatinny is so you can put an aimpoint, an ACOG, a red dot, a scope on just about every modern rifle.

Imagine how ridiculous all the requests in this forum for a scope would be if we were using a rifle like the one pictured above. Good luck finding one and attaching it.

Upvote 0
Why did they do this? They did it because composite material is lighter and it's extremely durable and the picatinny rail allows you to make it completely modular. The collapsible stock also means it's adjustable, something that's hard to do with a wood and steel stock. And the pistol grip is...um, a pistol grip, dude. It gives you a better hold of your weapon.
Who gives a crap? None of these things make a single difference to the game. Perhaps if I was given the choice in real life, I'd take any of this into consideration at all. I too dislike how super-modern all the new weapons look and will be glad if some classic pieces get brought to the trader. I don't hate them enough to not merit using one, I just dislike the Ultra-sleek modern designs.

Reactions: drunkentiger
Upvote 0
Um, the game has an active simulation of weight which has bearing on movement speed and a maximum weight threshold.

The M14 EBR currently stands at an underwhelming 5 KG. I figure you wouldn't be so excited to change the weight if it ended up weighing 6 or 7 KG.

However, the weights in this game don't match their real-life counterparts anyway.

Anyway, you're the guy complaining about aesthetics, are you not? How useless of a complaint can we possibly have? I'm sure that ranks near the top of the list. If it bothers you that much, mod it and reskin it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wikipedia says:
In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than small arms. A typical sniper rifle is built for optimal levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge. The term is often used in the media to describe any type of accurized firearm fitted with a telescopic sight that is employed against human targets, although "sniping rifle" or "sniper's rifle" is the technically correct fashion to refer to such a rifle.
The military role of sniper (a term derived from the snipe, a bird which was difficult to hunt and shoot) dates back to the turn of the 18th century, but the sniper rifle itself is a much more recent development. Advances in technology, specifically that of telescopic sights and more accurate manufacturing, allowed armies to equip specially-trained soldiers with rifles that would enable them to deliver precise shots over greater distances than regular infantry weapons. The rifle itself could be a standard rifle (at first, a bolt-action rifle); however, when fitted with a telescopic sight, it would become a sniper rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_rifle

Upvote 0
Actually there are rifles in the US military which are both accurized and carry magnifying scopes which are called "designated marksman rifles" as opposed to "sniper rifles."

The idea is that the DMR is intended to engage targets between ordinary infantry ranges (>300m) and sniper ranges (>600m).

I suppose you could say they fit both definitions, but the term "sniper rifle" being broader than that of "DMR."

Upvote 0
STG44.jpg

Not only is it ugly, it's heavy and you can't do anything with it without some very specialized parts that are difficult to manufacture and have low availability.

The whole reason behind the picatinny is so you can put an aimpoint, an ACOG, a red dot, a scope on just about every modern rifle.

Imagine how ridiculous all the requests in this forum for a scope would be if we were using a rifle like the one pictured above. Good luck finding one and attaching it.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to tell me what a picatinny rail is. My reasoning is if they're gonna slap all those rails on there they might as well have something on them. Also, here's a wood and steel M14. With a scope. Why you posted an outdated assault rifle from the second world war I can't really guess.

Spoiler!

That's definately not fugly.

-edited to find non-airsoft pic >< -

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's funny that you say that the STG44 is an outdated rifle when its design is now the standard armament in nearly every professional army in the entire world (the alternative being an M-14 style battle rifle such as FN-FAL) and the standard armament of every single guerilla resistance movement since the Cold War began.

Let's see....STG-44...

Select-fire (auto/single)
30 round magazine
intermediate cartridge (7.92x33...versus AK cartridge 7.62x39...almost equivalent ballistics btw)
intermediate rate of fire (again equivalent to AK-47)
gas operation

The M-14 uses a full-power cartridge (necessitating a smaller magazine) designed for longer range engagements and was found to be a less than suitable infantry rifle, which is why it was phased out and the shortest live standard armament of the United States army (relegating it to secondary combat roles). As a matter of fact, the rifle would probably nearly be dead if it wasn't for the EBR conversion. In every intelligible method of evaluating a firearms impact and utility, the STG-44 is far and away the more relevant one to today's designs. You could probably use the STG-44 today if it didn't suffer from the cumbersome weight of its steel-and-wood design.

Anyway, how's this weapon grab you for relevant?
AK47.jpg

Still fugly, still non-functional. Yippee. Hey, would you like some crappy ballistics to go with your stamped steel piece of crap? How about low tolerances for laughable accuracy?

Not to mention it's pretty much the Russian version of the STG-44.

Upvote 0
Wow. In real life there is an active effort to replace wood and steel weapons like old M-14's into modern stocks. As a matter of fact the M-14 you see in the game is called the "EBR" or "enhanced battle rifle," basically they tool old M-14s and stripped the guts from the old rifle parts and threw them inside a composite stock.

Something tells me you have no clue what "tacticool" actually entails and why it's done.

All of these benefits of the "enchancing" of the rifle give us no advantages in the game were playing other than making a beautiful rifle look like cheap plastic junk. No attachments are sold for the rifle ingame.

I suppose its a matter of taste. I personally feel adding a rail system and adding synthetic parts to a M14 is absolute sacrilege, much like kitting out a Garand with a "tactical" scope and plastic retractable stock.

Upvote 0
It's got a friggin' laser sight. I swear, this is some of the most obnoxious tripe I've ever read. You're complaining because it's made out of plastic? Welcome to modern firearms, get used to it.

It's intended to emulate the EBR. Frankly, I prefer plastic material. Partially because it's superior, and partially because I'm not a moron with ridiculous preconceived notions of beauty. A rifle is not a work of art, it is a killing implement. Boo hoo and blubber all the way home.

Upvote 0
It's intended to emulate the EBR. Frankly, I prefer plastic material. Partially because it's superior, and partially because I'm not a moron with ridiculous preconceived notions of beauty. A rifle is not a work of art, it is a killing implement. Boo hoo and blubber all the way home.
I'd rather have a killing implement made of wood and steel than plastic. PLASTIC FIRE AXE ANYONE?!

Upvote 0
I think the simplest answer is the following:

This weapon (the M14EBR) is designed to be an all purpose, whatever and whereever killing tool designed in mind for Sharpshooters. This is an accurate description of exactly what it is.

The real key here is that a Sharpshooter is not the same as a Sniper. If this perk was called 'Sniper', I'd be more inclined to agree that it should have a scope and be more for sniping. However, its not the 'Sniper' perk, its the 'Sharpshooter' perk. A Sniper is, generally speaking, a Sharpshooter, but a Sharpshooter is not always a Sniper.

If you're disappointed that its not a pure sniping tool, then you must be disappointed that this isn't a pure sniping perk.

As for the brass tacks of the mechanics, if you threw a Scope onto this weapon, it would make the Crossbow obsolete. As it stands, it nearly does. (Though some prefer it for killing power on bigger targets and the scope.) One thing they (Tripwire), at least from my perspective, have been trying to do, is NOT eliminate weapons from being useful. A scope on the M14 is exactly what that'd do. Are they entirely successful at this? Not as of yet, but that's to be expected, they aren't perfect. (Noone is.)

Besides, incase you hadn't noticed, the Auto-Shotgun and the SCAR have drawbacks of their own, even in perk. Although this thread isn't about that, I wanted to put this out there for perspective with the M14. After all, the Auto-shottie doesn't make the Hunting Shotgun useless, and the SCAR doesn't make the Bullpup or AK useless. Why should the M14 make the Crossbow useless?

Upvote 0
All of these benefits of the "enchancing" of the rifle give us no advantages in the game were playing other than making a beautiful rifle look like cheap plastic junk. No attachments are sold for the rifle ingame.

I suppose its a matter of taste. I personally feel adding a rail system and adding synthetic parts to a M14 is absolute sacrilege, much like kitting out a Garand with a "tactical" scope and plastic retractable stock.

Don't taunt the children who have no taste for classics. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in a camaro with spinners.

Upvote 0