• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] College For Computer Science/Gaming Technology?

THEDDLE

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
I was not sure what prefix to put this under. So I picked game. I am currently in Law Enforcement. Correctional Officer/Guard. Well this job sucks. Of course. Of the years I have been teaching myself computers. 99% I know, I have taught myself by trial, and error.

I am back in college working towards a general Associates; since, there is no computer science degree here for say. A.A.O.T. It is a community college and it will do for now. I am learning more and getting ready for my future; however, not sure where that will lead, yet.

I am located in the US. I live in Eastern Oregon. I am looking for a good college somewhere close; however, may be willing to relocate in the states. Depending on the school and so on. I want a bachelors for sure and maybe a masters in the future.

My question is simple, and please be kind to my noobish thread. Do you know of any colleges in my area that would have a good computer science degree, with a good department for gaming technology?

There are several good mappers, modders, and so on in this community. Killing floor has brought me here. I like how, overall, it seems to be a tight knit group, and Tripwire interacts with the community. Between Tripwire and the Community there should be some good suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to read. I hope to hear some positive responses.

Hey

Hey

Thanks. This does not help much. :D LOL. Looking for something a little closer. Probably the best thing I have found is EOU in Oregon, other then ITT; however, I would like a BA in something that may translate to a masters later. We will see. They have a BA in CS/MM

There is rumor of one in Washington. I have not checked it yet.

Animator, coder, or whatever. I just want a job I love doing. Plus it would be awesome to get paid to be involved with gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Animator, coder, or whatever. I just want a job I love doing. Plus it would be awesome to get paid to be involved with gaming.

One of the reasons animators seem to be in such short supply is that the job of an animator can apparently be quite amazingly repetitive and tedious.

This is a good reason to give it a go yourself first before committing to a prolonged period of education.

At the age of 18 I chose to do a degree in Biochemistry and then proceeded to spend several years learning one crucial fact... I f***ing hate biochemistry! :eek:

As you are entering as a more mature student and less of a callow youth than I was at that time, I guess you won't make that mistake but you should still test the water a little bit first, imho.

Get involved with a mod, chat to modders, play with game SDKs, play with Photoshop, play with 3ds max or some equivalent freeware, 'play' with C++, cast around, get a feel for where your talents lie then try them out in a mod team. This will also enable you to have something in your portfolio to show people if or when you get an interview.

Most colleges (unless they are simply mercenary 'pay-for-paper' shops) will have you competing against students with fully-developed portfolios for a place. you need to make sure that yours is good as well.

In my experience of advising students for design places at a college or university, the thing most admissions tutors look for in a portfolio is not page after page of finished product (be it screenshot or whatever) - they are also interested in how you use the tools you have to develop an idea from concept phase to finished product.

So a good folio including, say, a steampunk mech 3-d model, will include some shots of existing mech designs, some preliminary 'sketches' or ideas of your own, some experiments with reference materials, like photos of old copper pipes, victorian machinery, etc. to show the thought process you put into developing the idea and, only then, renders of the finished item (or copies of the item itself).

There are a lot of people going for these places, you need to make a very solid case for your own acceptance to stand a chance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello

Hello

As you are entering as a more mature student and less of a callow youth than I was at that time, I guess you won't make that mistake but you should still test the water a little bit first, imho. Get involved with a mod, chat to modders, play with game SDKs, play with Photoshop, play with 3ds max or some equivalent freeware - cast around, get a feel for where your talents lie then try them out in a mod team. This will also enable you to have something in your portfolio when you are looking for a place and get an interview.

Thanks for the inputs. I have already been playing with SDKs. I have doing stuff with Photoshop for years. I have a gif animator I use once in awhile. I am working on learning something with 3ds max. I would like to classes for it just for my map making addiction. I have been playing competitively for years. Started my own clan. Love building websites with html and ftp. I can not wait to learn dreamweaver in school. No matter what my career will be, it will be in computers. I would like to learn the gaming angle as I go. So if I am going to continue with a BA I would to go to a school that have these courses I can take. Even if they are extra.

So we will see. Keep up the input. I hope to hear from US people on schools. LOL. So far one in Germany. I think.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the inputs. I have already been playing with SDKs. I have doing stuff with Photoshop for years. I have a gif animator I use once in awhile. I am working on learning something with 3ds max. I would like to classes for it just for my map making addiction. I have been playing competitively for years. Started my own clan. Love building websites with html and ftp. I can not wait to learn dreamweaver in school. No matter what my career will be, it will be in computers. I would like to learn the gaming angle as I go. So if I am going to continue with a BA I would to go to a school that have these courses I can take. Even if they are extra.

So we will see. Keep up the input. I hope to hear from US people on schools. LOL. So far one in Germany. I think.

I editted a bit extra into my post after your post :)

Abertay, UNN and Bournemouth were all good Digital media places last time I looked (about 4 years ago) but they are all in the UK so prolly not much use, I guess. :s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dude, you REALLY could stop double and trippleposting all over the forums :rolleyes:

especially made for you with my superrior Paint skills:

iylse1256863912.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0