• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M14 EBR = disappointment

This gun is amazing...I can't believe some of you are having problems popping headshots from far away...damn this gun goes head to head with shotguns IMO. Fast fire rate, very powerful, and accurate.

Probably my favorite weapon in the update.

same. it's my new favorite weapon, and everything I hoped it could be. I found the ironsights so easy to use, was owning scrakes and fleshpounds all up and down the open maps on 6p hard. it's semi-auto and much stronger than the lever action, which makes it a perfect weapon to put between that and the xbow damage-wise. I would guess the dps is really close to it because of the rapid fire, but not quite past the mighty xbow. didn't use the laser sight much since I didn't need it. and we get tons of ammo for it, did not find myself coming even close to running out even by wave10 getting a good majority of kills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After having time to play with it... its an awesome gun. But it really needs a scope, even if its an ACOG style 1. The SCAR has a great scope, albeit lacking in zoom. The Iron Sights really don't offer anything for sniping and the Red Laser is at best helpful for close-mid range foes. If it had a proper Scope it would be pretty much the ultimate Sharpshooter weapon.

Upvote 0
It's a designated marksman rifle - It should at least have an ACOG on it. Scope for sniping, laser for shorter-ranged work.

Actually, with weapons like the M14 and AK47, I'd love for them to have a reflex sight, no zoom or anything, just because I hate those weapons' ironsights.

Also, is it possible to change the weapon sounds for just my KF client?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does not need a scope, I was a headshot machine and barley using ironsights, thanks to the laser. Very, very accurate.

This thing makes leveling the sharpshooter class very easy. I've gotten probably 500-600 headshots today just by playing on 6 man servers.

Your point being? It'd still be better with a scope than without. The headshot potential for the SCAR is extremely high when you use it as semi-auto and scope in. Its the sort of thing the M14 could do with, i'm really not too keen on Iron Sights, with any gun.

Upvote 0
^It would take longer to zoom in and aim in the scope then it would be to just use the laser with no iron sights.

I can see an enemy for maybe a second and boom headshot. No need for a scope.

EDIT: Then again, I guess it depends on the player. A scope probably wouldn't hurt, since I wouldn't have to use it anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was using the m14 last night quite a bit, and its definetly a great weapon for me, at longish ranges im probably quicker aiming with its iron sights than with the crossbows scope (not to mention fire rate and amount of ammo if you miss). Short-medium range the laser sight means its pretty easy to one hit headshot the weaker Zeds and spam fire at the heads of scrakes, or fps if youve got no better option. On a six man normal game (what i was playinglast night) its incredibly easy to take down a scrake by yourself before it gets close enough to hit you.

Probably the best all around weapon range, damage, amount of ammo, firerate, though ive not really used the SCAR yet.

Upvote 0
sane goes for me - also if the EBR would've a scope, no one would ever buy a Crossbow again, so its perfect balanced. not to mention that the laserdot is just incredible - me loves the EBR ^^

Erm... no.
The Crossbow has insanely high headshot damage, way more than the M14 and infinite penetration, allowing you to 1 shot Scrakes upto 4man Suicidal (probably 5 man now if you're lvl6) and do major damage to Fleshpounds at extreme range or just clear a line of enemies.
The M14 has a huge ammo capacity, is deadly accurate and can be fired basically as fast as you can press the trigger, allowing you to easily clean up pretty much any specimen below a Husk in 1 shot, its ability to kill Scrakes and FPs is well noted but with the recoil its not something you should be trying at long range (for the FP anyway).

If you want the insane headshot damage you'd get the Crossbow regardless of whether or not the M14 had a scope, they have completely different functions. The thing is the M14 is an all round headshotting machine and the damage it dishes out to the FP is easily enough to take it down with your teams help. It doesn't have to be an Xbow 2.5x zoom scope, just something that gives you a red dot or crosshair that isn't as obstructive as the iron sights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sane goes for me - also if the EBR would've a scope, no one would ever buy a Crossbow again, so its perfect balanced. not to mention that the laserdot is just incredible - me loves the EBR ^^

Yes they would. The EBR doesn't penetrate through specimens, does it?

It would be two different weapons. Do you want to penetrate through a row of Zeds, or do you want to pluck them off one by one? They'd fit different playstyles.

[QUOTE=D.a.L-mistk

Upvote 0
future update for ultimate sniper suggestion

future update for ultimate sniper suggestion

I played with it for a few waves, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'm disappointed with the lack of a scope for the M14 EBR.

I was playing on Heresy Beta 3 and it was rather hard to see a lot of the Zeds, much less get a decent headshot, unless they were closer. I imagine M14 is goin to be relegated to a backup weapon while Crossbow remains superior, instead of the other way around. A laser sight is no substitute for a scope.

in b4 someone complaining about me complaining.

I don't play Sharp much and I don't think I really will until we get a decent Sniper rifle with a scope.

hmmm me thinks that the M99. single shot .50 cal. kinda like crossbow but much more powerful..... well should be. personally i think that the bow should be removed all together. 2nt tier should prolly be the M14 THEN the M99. which would have the rail penetration that the bow has. In my own opinion of course. Make sense to anyone else??? ( if you dont know what the M99 is pls do search on internet to find out)

Upvote 0
Yes they would. The EBR doesn't penetrate through specimens, does it?

It would be two different weapons. Do you want to penetrate through a row of Zeds, or do you want to pluck them off one by one? They'd fit different playstyles.

If you just have stock maps installed, take a gander at kf_farm and tell me that the distances aren't high.

When you eventually get bored of stock and start playing custom maps, you'll see that there are actually a good deal of maps with large distances, like:

* sherwoodforest
* medievalbeta2
* Arcade_shopping_center_FINAL

etc. etc. other people can name more maps with large distances.

That's one of the beautiful things about the UT2004 engine - you can have these huge maps - and the supposedly best Sharpshooter weapon doesn't take advantge of it.

I have to agree, I'm kinda glad it isnt on the ut3 engine, older comps can still play this game.

Even though I have a nvidia 8900 :)

It's a designated marksman rifle - It should at least have an ACOG on it. Scope for sniping, laser for shorter-ranged work.

Actually, with weapons like the M14 and AK47, I'd love for them to have a reflex sight, no zoom or anything, just because I hate those weapons' ironsights.

Also, is it possible to change the weapon sounds for just my KF client?

No. The bow has an acog.

I know the xbow's acog doesnt look like an acog, but it has a 4x zoom like one.

I've shot m16's in real life with ACOG scopes, and the bow's scope is a ACOG 4x with a sniper scope model.

I say this: Make the bow have a longer zoomed scope(12x), and add a reflex/4x ACOG to the m14.

Last edited:
Upvote 0