• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee distance, momentum and stamina

Back in the first world war soldiers learned to hold their rifles sideways so as to slip between the ribs. Momentum would only really give you an advantage if after stabbing you crashed your whole body into them to check them to the ground lol, or if they're wearing such thick winter clothing that you'd have trouble penetrating with the blade (a serious consideration for Stalingrad, perhaps).

Upvote 0
I agree momentum would make your bayonet thrust slightly more powerful.

However it would be nice for the bayonet to kill to the torso, chest ,neck and head regardless.

but only slightly

thats basically my biggest gripe with the RO:Ost
you can stab someone 3-4 times and he will still live, while you get a magical insta-kill stick when charging

charging has a way too high influence imho

Upvote 0
but only slightly

thats basically my biggest gripe with the RO:Ost
you can stab someone 3-4 times and he will still live, while you get a magical insta-kill stick when charging

charging has a way too high influence imho

This is because in RO:eek:st, you can charge up your melee attacks. It is not momentum.

It is just when people charge they hold down the melee button longer thus charging up the power.

You can walk up to any enemy, stand still and charge up a powerful attack that does just as much damage as when moving.

If you quickly tap melee. You deliver weaker but faster blows.

Upvote 0
This is because in RO:eek:st, you can charge up your melee attacks. It is not momentum.

It is just when people charge they hold down the melee button longer thus charging up the power.

You can walk up to any enemy, stand still and charge up a powerful attack that does just as much damage as when moving.

If you quickly tap melee. You deliver weaker but faster blows.

i know

Upvote 0
Bayonets getting stuck between the ribs would be cool, but how would such a thing be done? (though in the gameplay video there WAS a mentioning of bones being calculated)
Also, i can imagine the Russian bayonet would not have such a problem at all, since it's a large pike which should just be able to slide back out again.
The German bayonet though, being bigger and having a bit of a saw-thing going on, would have that problem a lot more.

As to the suggestion of throwing bayonets, as has been said the Russian pike would be very hard to throw, the German bayonet would be easier to throw but still, i wouldnt like to see it in the game.
What would be better is having the bayonet as a stabbing weapon, even when not mounted on the rifle.
What happens if you throw it and miss, you'll be again left defenseless and that would just be a stupid thing for anyone to do, so i dont see why such a thing should be included.

Upvote 0
Momentum? First it'd be a true thing that you could tackle someone away. It's rather strange that you're running into someone and you're just stopped, there's no influence on the enemy in no way. That's why I also considered kicking someone which was called a stupid idea, as players could abuse the kicking feature and start doing a kung fu battle in Stalingrad. Ehm, someone remembers Indiana Jones II were this stupid arab is wielding his sabre and Indi just shoots him? This is pretty much that what would happen, if someone runs across the street just to kick the enemy.

The charged bayonet is a nice thing but still stab is stab. As you'd be probably no longer able to continue fighting the game renders you dead. For me there is no real difference in stationary and run stab, the difference to run step might be that it's a faster attack and harder to block but this has no meaning in the game.

Blocking an attack would be nice also as the back then surely didn't just wait for the enemy to slit them open or bash the hell out of them with the butt stock

As it also belongs to melee in my eyes: The buttswing discussion can be found here but to sum up, many in this thread found the Ostfront butt thingy awkward and rather want to see the (more common) side swing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0