• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee distance, momentum and stamina

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
So last night i got an idea in my head, based on the recent gameplay footage which showed your weapon interacting with the environment, being pulled to your chest the closer you stand to a wall etc.

That got me thinking to such consequences in a melee fight.
Would this apply to the proximity of an enemy as well?
Imagine a long rifle with a bayonet, say has a reach of 1,5 metres. What happens when an enemy stands closer to you, past the bayonet?
Also, if he stands that close to you, a logical consequence is that you can't stab him with the bayonet, because you cant draw back your weapon that far.

That leads to my suggestion: have two melee options based on distance to your enemy, though the player shouldnt have to choose between them, it should be automatic.
If the enemy stands far away you stab him with your bayonet, however if he is to close to you, you knock him away with the butt of your rifle.
That could lead to a combo of sorts: first knock back your foe, then ram your bayonet into him.
This would also lead to a better choice between weapons used in CQB, depending on their length.

A second suggestion would be involving player momentum on the 'damage' of your attack.
Imagine running up a hill to do a melee charge. When you reach your enemy, you will not have much speed and therefor your attack has less power behind it.
If however you run down that same hill, the extra momentum you get will lead to a powerful blow.
That would lead to extra tactical decisions, and makes holding the high ground even more useful.

Also, running up a hill should drain your stamina faster because it's much more intensive, and unlike in Ostfront, you shouldnt be able to sprint up steep hills.

momentum shouldnt have that great of an impact imho
the thing is, even while standing you can easily stab someone, especially with a bayonet mounted on a rifle

what id like to see is: stabs only are vital if you stab the enemy into the upper body, with the possibility to get stuck in his ribs

that would make the bayonet a more deadly, but also slightly more dangerous choice against multiple enemies

Upvote 0
I like the OP's suggestions, but this one..
bayonet should be used as melee combat knife or throwing weapon.
mmmh.. no. Throwing a knife effectively is a practiced skill.. something that the majority of average soldiers arent trained to do. These arent ninjas or circus showmen we're talking about.

Using the bayo as a handheld melee weapon, while totally possible, always seemed like something that would take away from the game to me. It goes back to the old DoD days of guys running out of spawn spamming their knife stab *wackwackwackwack* and running around like arseholes using only a knife. The same will happen if it's a shovel. I think the buttsmack and rifle-mounted bayo are sufficient for melee. Should we add dropkicks and rear-naked chokes?

Upvote 0
I like the OP's suggestions, but this one.. mmmh.. no. Throwing a knife effectively is a practiced skill.. something that the majority of average soldiers arent trained to do. These arent ninjas or circus showmen we're talking about.

Using the bayo as a handheld melee weapon, while totally possible, always seemed like something that would take away from the game to me. It goes back to the old DoD days of guys running out of spawn spamming their knife stab *wackwackwackwack* and running around like arseholes using only a knife. The same will happen if it's a shovel. I think the buttsmack and rifle-mounted bayo are sufficient for melee. Should we add dropkicks and rear-naked chokes?

you are wrong.

Upvote 0
Throwing a knife needs training? Have you ever tried?

I have never gone to knife throwing training.. and Im quite capable of throwing a knife in someones chest, even a axe.
After you throw it 2-3 times its easy, and even on your first try, you have a good chance of getting it right.

About implementing it in game, Im not so sure.
But having the bayonett as a knife would be nice, when you havent attached it to the rifle. Altough trying to charge someone with it in the open isnt that smart.

It would be more suitable in close combat, instead of running around with the bayonett attached.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, it does take a lot of practice to be able to consistently and accurately throw and sink a knife into something. Usually this is done on stationary targets at set distances with knives (plural) made for throwing... as opposed to a single bayonet on moving targets wearing clothing at unpredictable distances. Besides that, it sounds gamey as hell and doesnt have any place in a realism based WWII game.

Upvote 0
I like the melee distance idea. Having it automatic as well is good, because IRL you can judge distances much more easily than you can ingame.

As for the bayonet thing:

Firstly the Russian bayonet would be excluded from the outset since it isn't really easy to wield by hand:

mosin91-08.jpg

Secondly, as the others have said, accurately and repeatedly throwing a knife on target requires practice and a well balanced knife. Anyway, if they are that far away, why not just shoot them? :rolleyes: And don't say that throwing a knife is more silent, because you are playing as a soldier, not as a ninja :p

All in all, it would just be a really gamey thing to have in ROHOS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good ideas SIC.

This collision with enviroment could really show the clumsyness of bayonet. For example m91/30 with a bayonet is just completely useless in tight CQC. It stucks and hits everywhere it should not, it collides with walls, doorways, walls of trenches and tree branches in forests and so on. And I can imagine that it

Last edited:
Upvote 0