• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Zombie Pathnodes VS Path nodes?

zombie pathnodes are best used in vents etc.
they act pretty much like normal pathnodes and even though you make them zombie specific they tend to ignore that rule.
generally just stick to standard pathnodes and add the odd zombienodes in crawler spaces etc

Got some in my vents and in most of them they seem to work fine but one of my vents comes down from the ceiling and my monsters wont come down. They just stand there floating over the opening...

Upvote 0
Got some in my vents and in most of them they seem to work fine but one of my vents comes down from the ceiling and my monsters wont come down. They just stand there floating over the opening...

there could be a few things wrong with it, the vent node and the floor node might not be linking up. or the opening isnt large enough. or there could be conflicting path nodes. try to rule out what it could be.

Upvote 0
The I've copied an opening that works in other locations. The only thing I can think of is that the nodes aren't linking but I don't know how to see the links between them or how to force them to link if they aren't.

ah, here, check out the path view. in each seperate box (views), you have a toolbar on the top left of each. it has a list of different views (dynamic, zones, wireframe, etc), if you right click on the grey area where there is no icon, it will open a toolbar: go to View - Show Paths. it doesnt have a shortcut key.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's exactly what is happening. They don't link and even if i put a pathnode between the one in the vent opening and the floor they won't link. What could be the problem? How do I fix this?

make sure your brushes are aligned.

also, i found it easier to put vents on walls rather than ceilings. but when you do ceiling spawns, i found that although they can fit thru a small square, they act like they cant. so its easier to make a big square and just cover some of it up with static meshes to make it appear natural.

Upvote 0
If you are still having issues with them not jumping down, heres what you do.

In aspen manor there are many areas where i want the zombies to either jump down to the 2nd floor or walk around the holes in the floors.

1: Set jump points around the place where you want the Zombies to jump from.
2: Have 1 Pathnode in the middle floating above the hole. Then have a node directly below it on the ground.
3: Use Force destination from the Jump Point to the path node above (the one that floating above the hole)

There you go, they will jump down.

ALSO make sure the hole is big enough as well.

If you cant find the jumppoint, then open up westlondon. there are 3 right in front of you when it opens. (in the church)

Here is a pic of the 2nd floor. All the jump points are forced destination to the middle path node.

9-30-200911-14-01PM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are still having issues with them not jumping down, heres what you do.

In aspen manor there are many areas where i want the zombies to either jump down to the 2nd floor or walk around the holes in the floors.

1: Set jump points around the place where you want the Zombies to jump from.
2: Have 1 Pathnode in the middle floating above the hole. Then have a node directly below it on the ground.
3: Use Force destination from the Jump Point to the path node above (the one that floating above the hole)

There you go, they will jump down.

ALSO make sure the hole is big enough as well.

If you cant find the jumppoint, then open up westlondon. there are 3 right in front of you when it opens. (in the church)

Here is a pic of the 2nd floor. All the jump points are forced destination to the middle path node.

9-30-200911-14-01PM.png

How do I make it jump to a specific node?

Upvote 0
How do I make it jump to a specific node?

first, go to the destination path node, and right click, go to Object, and remember what path node it is, "PathNode???"

now, on your path node that causes the jump (UTJumpPad), right click it, Navigation Point, Forced Path, enter "PathNode???"

PS: each path node has its own name, PathNode355, PathNode17, etc etc etc. thus the Question marks ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has to be an engine malfunction. It seems no matter how big I make the hole the zombies don't come through. I can make the whole as big as a gymnasium and they just sit there walking on air even after the forced destination...
right click in the 3d window...uummm...in the grey area, (on the top) goto view> paths then make sure you have a pathnode from the node thats in the middle (where they jump to) down the hole and to the next node.

If they are linked, then try adding more nodes.

Or i could take a look at it, (if you want me to, save the map at the spot where you need help)

Upvote 0
something i like to do that works fairly well when getting zombies from pointA outside of playing area to pointB inside the playing area, is with both forced paths and proscribed paths.

Dextronaut explains properly how to force paths, but you might not have realised that the rule applies between any two path nodes, they don't have to special jump pads or anything.

Now to the proscribed part...say you want your zombies to walk a path from

A - B - C - D, where D is the spot from which they will be in the human playing area, you probably don't want them wasting time, holding each other up, going A - B - A - B - C - B etc. Proscribed paths are like the opposite to forced paths. So force a path from A - B, but proscribe the path from B - A. Then the zombies won't backtrack.

This could help in your situation if there's any chance the zombie is trying to get to a path node that he physically just cannot get to, while ignoring the path you want to set for him.

Another thing to be aware of with forced paths is that it isn't entirely as the name suggests. It doesn't "force" a zombie to take that path, it just ensure that the path is an option. Its up to you to limit his options where neccessary to increase the chances of zombies taking the path you want them to.

Upvote 0
It could be that the game is seeing a solid brush there even though you can't see it. This has happened to me multiple times when making maps. I've even had projectors suddenly decide they have collision...

It's not the best solution...but try stripping out the entire vent area, or even the entire room, and rebuilding it. When completely nonsensical things are happening the KFed, that's usually how I managed to fix them.

Upvote 0