• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you think scrakes will ever get fixed?

by now I don't really think they want to fix the hitboxes, if it was something they wanted done right it would have been done already. seems to me at this point they just want to somehow obscure critical headshots, maybe a superficial layer of difficulty.

The biggest problem with the Scrake freezing bug is that it doesn't require the slightest hint of teamwork, effort, or even skill. You simply run up the Scrake with your chainsaw/katana equipped and hold down your alt-fire button. He'll be dead in a matter of seconds. Congratulations, you have just successfully solo'd the second strongest specimen in the game with no health lost, no ammo spent, and no risk taken.

it's not a bug it's a feature, and this is only true if it stands alone, which clearly isn't the case if you're talking about a full server on high difficulty.

sounds more like you have a problem with a particular class, and not the scrake at all.

If you can't see how being able to 1 shot Fleshpounds on any difficulty with a knife is bad for the game then frankly i'd be wasting my breath. Scrakes are laughable. Gameplay has nothing to do with it, they are just so easy to kill they may aswell be removed and replaced with something else. Fine, its been confirmed Scrake stunning was intentional, but to turn them into a complete joke? I doubt it. What is the point in making them 'rage' when low on health when they're permanently stunned? At least make them immune to stun once they rage, or do what i've said before and make them stunnable once, not indefinatly.

wasting your breath or wasting your time? you're taking a risk whenever you attempt to behead a fleshpound, I don't care how good you think you are, it's never 100% guaranteed in a 6 man game. fail this on suicidal and it's instant death for you or someone on your team. succeed and you will manage to save some ammo and/or health and armor. good risk/reward tradeoff, no?

and same as sloppy over there, just using way too much exaggeration to promote a narrow point of view. only 2 classes with level4+ perks can produce a long stun in 6p suicidal, anyone else has to keep a constant rate of fire on primary or secondary melee to keep it from damaging you, and it takes FOREVER. something like 10 seconds of constant melee spam to take one down, can you ignore everything around you for that long and still survive in every situation? that's where the teamwork comes in, which is what makes the current scrake ok by me. it's a fine line between a proper challenge and a proper balance, devs who want customers and ops who want players will never cross it in the wrong direction. what's the point of discussing any change when you don't know enough about the game to consider every angle?

I look at it this way, what's the purpose for this zed to exist - he's not here to create a major force to be reckoned with, or attempt as much damage as possible on your team, that is the fleshpound's job, which is accomplished headshots or no. to me the scrake is just there to draw your attention away from the lesser zeds, cause a distraction for them to do some damage, or take at least one man out of the game temporarily in order to deal with it. in a full suicidal game anywhere past wave 5 there will be a constant stream of them getting more and more frequent as the game goes on, we're not talking about just a few here and there. take them down swiftly, or suffer massive damage from the chainsaw should he be ignored or enraged. does it accomplish this goal when scaled with the proper difficulty? I think so.

enraged stun immunity could work, one stun per scrake could work. but removing stun altogether? you better think long and hard about making this a reality, and play every class in some tougher games before you go around pretending to seek some sort of improvement for anything besides your class or difficulty of choice.

Upvote 0
by now I don't really think they want to fix the hitboxes, if it was something they wanted done right it would have been done already. seems to me at this point they just want to somehow obscure critical headshots, maybe a superficial layer of difficulty.

To be honest, this is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of. And having a dev say "It worked just fine for me, I dunno what everyone's talking about... Prove there's a problem!" doesn't exactly disprove that theory...

Upvote 0
and this is only true if it stands alone
And what is the difficulty in killing everything around one of the slowest specimens in the game? Said slow specimen is not going to charge you unless you intentionally anger it. As I said before, you can easily ignore Scrakes for as long as you like. They'll never cause trouble for you unless you're dumb enough to make them.

which clearly isn't the case if you're talking about a full server on high difficulty.
The Scrake should be the specimen to put pressure on the players, not his lackeys. Why bother only spawning him in the last waves if he adds zero additional difficulty to what's already being fought? Why bother spawning Scrakes in such minimal numbers if he's so completely useless no matter what?

TWI clearly intends for the Scrake to be the big powerhouse specimen second only to the Fleshpound. Of course, as he is right now, the Scrake is less threatening than the Crawler. Not even a group of Crawlers. A single Crawler can cause far more problems for the player than a single Scrake.

sounds more like you have a problem with a particular class
I'm sure it would be a Berserker problem if it weren't for the fact that the newly added Katana gives everyone free reign to exploit this freezing bug as much as they possibly want.

Upvote 0
i'll fraps a video of shooting the offset hitbox tomorrow. i too have seen it work...you hit where the pic showed and it's a one shot kill regardless of difficulty (remember with crossbow and i'm all level5 so i don't know if lower levels will work). the lined up headshot on the jaw works too, but the off center one does happen.

as for people still calling this a "bug"......you all still believe the earth is flat or are you just that arrogant? :confused: yup that's it just keep telling the people that made the game that they have no clue at all what they are talking about. TW is obviously so dumb and bad at designing games that they couldn't possibly have made intended features for gameplay. that whole thing in RO about being able to kill an enemy with 1 shot from a k98 to the chest.....when will they ever fix that bug?? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Okay, interesting thread.

Let's see...

My opinion about Scrake behaviour is that they are fine as they are at the moment, as they are there to attract the attention of players so they will ignore the smaller specimens (the real threat). However, they will also cause a lot of harm if they are being ignored.

Headshot issue...

I have taken a break from the game, and I just recently got back to playing.

I played on Mos Eisley, and I was playing a sharpshooter (lvl 5) with my friend on normal. Yes, this is a way too low for me, but my friend just got the game and I wanted to be there just for backup and concentrate on watching over my friend. A few more players joined, and we had a full team. It was quite easy, almost way too easy, until the Scrakes started appearing...
I had completely forgotten about the secret art of one-shotting them so I aimed into smack-bang in the middle of between Scrake's eyes. It didn't even blink. It carried on. The second bolt enraged it, and it was closing in fast. I had to whip out my Handcannons to perforate it into submission before it kills me. Then I saw another scrake. Same thing. Got seriously hurt by it. Ouch. Barely made it trough the wave. Then it dawned to me when waiting for next wave to begin. I remembered the old Sharpshooter Proverb "Aim past the side of Scrake's head, so that the vertical line of the crosshair is between Scrake's feet, because the hit-box is messed up." I steadied my arm and gave it a shot in the next wave. I raised my crossbow, aimed and fired. My Crossbow made a lazy "FWLOMP!" sound and released it's lethal projectile past Scrake's (visible) head. Very mucn not to my surprise, Scrake died instantly. Another Scrake. "FWLOMP!" Another dead Scrake. "FWLOMP!" Third Scrake down. There was no doubt about it. I had found my touch again.
the rest of the map was just one-shotting Scrakes, taking out Sirens and Fleshpounds and spamming HandCannon bullets at crawlers while the rest took care of the other enemies.

I'd say the headshot hitbox is still way off.

Just something I have noticed too... I have had serious problems hitting Scrake's head from either side. ALmost as if it was immune to headshot from the side. Maybe I am aiming to wrong spot again... I have to experiment with this tho. :p

Upvote 0
I would like to know how a picture of someone aiming over the shoulder of a scrake proves that the "hitbox" is messed up? I just jumped in game and killed a bunch of scrakes with headshots with the crossbow shooting them right in the head. If there is a problem, there must be some other set of circumstances that causes it to occur. So if you want to help, find out what these circumstances are (actually first prove that the problem actually exists).

Are you aware of the difference between a headshot and a torsoshot? Apparently not. Its not remotely difficult to shoot a Scrake in its head and do a miserable 450 damage. The Scrake in question should be dropping dead after taking a 4050 damage bolt to the face. Which only happens if you aim over his shoulder in mid-air. Apparently your playing a different game to the rest of us if your not experiencing this.

Whoever it was that said there haven't been many comments about it so it can't be that wrong... seriously? How many people in game are aware that the Crossbow from a lvl5 Sharpshooter deals 4050 damage? When by comparison a Power attack with a Katana from a lvl5 Berserker only does around 500(?). The Scrake is a 1 shot up until 4/5man Suicidal for a Crossbow. If people were aware of that, i'm pretty sure there be alot more complaints about how far off its hitbox is. Frankly i didn't even consider the fact lazy programming was responsible for it, i just didn't think it was possible. Then i found some of the numbers...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Frankly i didn't even consider the fact lazy programming was responsible for it, i just didn't think it was possible. Then i found some of the numbers...

Another comment like this will get you a permanent vaction from these forums sod. You can disagree with us all you want, but do it respectfully, or don't do it at all.

Upvote 0
Another comment like this will get you a permanent vaction from these forums sod. You can disagree with us all you want, but do it respectfully, or don't do it at all.

I just tried it out, the issue of shooting over the shoulder to get the headshot only happens online. Offline the actual head works perfect ;). Most likely the difference in experience between Ramm and you came from that.

Fair enough, theres your answer then. Offline = lined up, Online = offset.

Upvote 0
Yeah THAT is what makes no sense. It ONLY happens to the 2 specimens with large weapons causing them to lean slightly.

Nenjin just what are you relentlessly defending this for? Theres a big difference between headshot reg been a little weird down to lag or whatever and it simply been in the wrong place, full stop. If you want lag compensation, look for the Hunter hitbox videos on youtube for Left 4 Dead, they clearly show the Hunters hitbox is ahead of the actual model when it moves which means you have to melee earlier than you think to hit it. The Scrakes headbox is simply NEVER where its head is, its where its head WOULD be if it wasn't leaning over, its completely counter-productive. The Gorefast is the same, just not as noticable.

The Scrake is a very slow moving AI foe that travels in a straight line for the most part. Its not remotely like 2 people strafing wildly with differing pings. Even if there was lag compensation there is no way the Scrake should be affected that badly.

Upvote 0