• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unarmed combat pls!!

Mr Milkman

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Hi all first post, but long time lurker and it's a noobish request too! I was just hoping that some form of unarmed fighting would be introduced into HOS, even if it's just rock, paper, scissors... as not much sucks more than having your weapon shot out of your hands and not being able to grab the rifle of the dude trying to impale you or baby seal you to death. At least be able to go out swinging, throw a few punches, maybe a forward kick... I've been chased all over a map Benny Hill style a few times when I've lost my weapons... while it's funny, I really think you should be able to punch..

So? TW members have been proven to read this forum, better to post here than doing nothing. The main problem with melee combat is hit detection and the fact that it just looks/feels fugly. It would be nice if melee was a lot more involved, but no quicktime events and no control being taken away from the player. Kind of like a little fluent duel. I'd have hope for this being included in a patch after release though, I don't want the TWI team spending time on this in the initial devolpment process. How fluent? Batman: Arkham Asylum demo fluent. Hence the reason this should be worked on in a patch- melee is not a vital element of RO, and therefore should be put on a to do list for after release patches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi MrMilk welcome to the community :)

Hand to hand combat yes, but what damage level would you inflict . . punching someone would usually not kill or even knock out even several punches might not ko them.

Ingame strangelling would be fail as its not splinter cell we are playing, all i can think of is that you get a knive as weapon 3 and can stab people to death much like the bayo.

Upvote 0
I do hope the melee combat system is adapted. If anything when all your weapons are lost it would be nice to use your shovel, or if you never attached a bayonet you could use it as a sort of knife.

But tbh beside making bayonetting feel more natural, i wouln't find different kinds of melee important for the game of ro.
(and thats comming from a guy that has been waiting for ages for a first person mirrors edge meets oni type of game).

Upvote 0
what would be cool is the ability to lose consciousness, otherwise there is no way your gonna eliminate someone without a lethal weapon at hands.
you could sort of punch someone KO, with fists/stock/shovel etc... and that person would drop like a ragdoll, and then automatically try to get back up and regain controll of his character. while you try to take his weapon.
because stalingrad stands for brutal man to man fights, if there isn't any improvement in that area over RO then something important and infamous about the battle will have been left out.

or when you have no more weapon you could opt to raise your hands and try to surrender, if the enemy takes you prisoner then he gets some kind of achievement or advantage because the prisoner can have usefull intelligence. and you as a prisoner will get some other kind of advantage like no death point punishment or something else that would stimulate surrendering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the subject of losing consciousness, a thought struck me. The stamina bar should be done away with. In its place, what could happen is the ability to sprint indefinitely, but instead of instantly stopping, your screen would go black around the edges slowly. Then you would black out, and collapse. Your character would ragdoll. After 5-10 seconds of staring at a black screen (while still being able to hear everything going on around you, perhaps muffled), the character gets back up (I don't know how possible it is to use this in UE3, but whatever GTA4 does so characters can combine ragdolls with animations, and get back up from their ragdoll position), and your stamina would be down to 50% (which you can't see on your screen, of course, since there is no more need for a stamina bar with this kind of immersive feedback).

Upvote 0
On the subject of losing consciousness, a thought struck me. The stamina bar should be done away with. In its place, what could happen is the ability to sprint indefinitely, but instead of instantly stopping, your screen would go black around the edges slowly. Then you would black out, and collapse. Your character would ragdoll. After 5-10 seconds of staring at a black screen (while still being able to hear everything going on around you, perhaps muffled), the character gets back up (I don't know how possible it is to use this in UE3, but whatever GTA4 does so characters can combine ragdolls with animations, and get back up from their ragdoll position), and your stamina would be down to 50% (which you can't see on your screen, of course, since there is no more need for a stamina bar with this kind of immersive feedback).

GTA IV uses Euphoria- RO:HoS, to the best of my knowledge, does not. I think it would be awesome if it did, but it doesn't.

Upvote 0
On the subject of losing consciousness, a thought struck me. The stamina bar should be done away with. In its place, what could happen is the ability to sprint indefinitely, but instead of instantly stopping, your screen would go black around the edges slowly. Then you would black out, and collapse.

Is that realistic? I don't think people would run until they black-out. Maybe fall over / collapse, but black out? Last month, I ran as fast as I could after a friend with a minute head start for almost 1/2 of a mile as fast as I could (he forgot his cellphone in a marathon). After I caught up with him, I was way out of breath, couldn't talk, and could barely stand, but I wasn't anywhere close to blacking out. Granted, I was running in jeans and a T-shirt - no heavy uniform rifle and equipment...

As far as melee combat goes, it would be great if you could shove/push and grab. I would imagine rudimentary grappling probably happened more than a boxing match. The likely aim would be to grab your opponent's weapon. If both of you are unarmed, grabbing and trying to choke. This would likely be above and beyond the scope of ROHOS, but while I'm at it, the ability to pick up a rock, helmet or rubble and hit your opponent with it would be great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every FPS should also have the melee combat (or one comparable to) the one of Dark Messiah. Pleease?

Stab, punch and kick! Bite! Think of all the fun situations that would create! Combine that with dragging your wounded team-mate, and you might have to shoot your pistol at enemies who are trying to bite your comrade while you drag him to safety!

Upvote 0