• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

connectivity issues

MischieF

Jul 25, 2009
Hi.
After the last few updates I have been unable to play internet games on KF.
All ports listed on forum have been forwarded, , I have played internet games lots earlier, but now it is for some reason borked...
However if one of my friends host online I can play fine, or I can host myself and people can connect and play, but trying to join 99% of servers online I will have people and zombies running in a straight line after 30secs or so.

I have vista and a Thompson st780wlt.
Killing Floor is the only game that I experience these problems with.

I have exactly the same problem! Was just going to start a new thread but saw this one. I bought KF today and can only join a game which is hosted by my friends, other than that everything just carries on in a straight line. (as said above)

I also have the problem that the internet drops and reconnects multiple times when I run killing floor. If I exit killing floor the connection is re-established and doesn't fall again!

Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks

Upvote 0
Meantime what works is setting your gaming computer as DMZ in the router, however this isn't really making me feel comfortable... And it's kinda silly to have to run DMZ when you just want to connect to an online game server...

if you don't know how to do this, in a Thompson ST780wl this is how:

you go to home network -> asssign the public ip of a device
select your gaming rig in the drop down list
click start, in the command line write
ipconfig /release, hit enter
then
ipconfig /renew, hit enter

your gaming computer should now be set up as DMZ

However be aware: your ip is now openly visible from the net, this is NOT a good thing to do long term... If you have some other firewall you can use that doesn't interfere with KF, DO SO.

Even if it's just windows firewall, it's slightly better than nothing...

Upvote 0
How aren't they similar?

Pretty much every thread about connectivity issues can be summarised by the following:
A Thomson router user reporting having problems staying connected and getting booted out after 15 seconds, and the behaviour has started just after the last few patches.

If I didn't misinterpret it completely, a TWI rep has already said it is an issue with the router firmware and it is up to manufacturer to release updated version. Also, what I have heard Killing Floor is not the only game with issues with connectivity, some other Steam games have problems too.

Upvote 0
well differences are for instance

none list my router model

none of the several threads I looked up before posting specified that this was a RECENT behaviour, which matters IMO since I played it since release without problems, up to now, on my Thomson.

maybe I didn't read all 30 pages closely but I did look around first, so stop assuming things already.

I have contacted Thomson support as well for that matter

I agree there should be a sticky on this topic since theres so many experiencing it and theres posts all over that could probably have been merged, but it's a pain flipping through 30 pages or keep searching for possible key words.

On other note you haven't contributed anything new or helped in any way other than stating the obvious, so please excuse me while I try get this working again so I can kill some zombies...

Upvote 0
The only other game that I know of that has the same problems is Red Orchestra, I have 100 games on steam and these are the only two I have problems with, maybe it's a unreal engine thing I don't know but I could give you a big list of MP games on steam that it doesn't effect.

If it's started after a patch I think it's more then likely something tripwire have done to the game, so it should be fixable in a patch. Which makes a lot more sense then buying a new router for

Upvote 0
The fact is, black_feather, that the problem already existed in the router, our patches have just exposed the problem by increasing the initial network overhead upon connecting to a server. To support some new functionality and fix some other issues, we have had to increase the network traffic when you connect to a game, which has pushed some routers just over the edge. This has, in fact, been reported in a number of other games with BT and Thomson routers, but it sounds like you're one of the lucky ones that got a better BIOS version that many others.

Upvote 0
Just found this out today! When everything stops and the zombies walk in a straight line etc.
1) press ' (to the right of the ; NOT ` like in hl)
2)type 'reconnect'
3) press F10 (to cancel, it does nothing for me the first time)
4) repeat step 2. It should re-load and you will stay connected.

well it works for me anyway!
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Ok I have now talked to Thomson support

They replied fast and have been nice so far, but their suggestion was setting the port maps in command line interface, and while this is a better way of controlling my router, it didn't actually help anything.

It seems nothing short of setting my computer in DMZ helps.

This router has issues with CoD W@W coop mode as well, unless I bypass network translation, tested that and DMZ will fix that as well.
So I can verify that KF isn't the only steam game where you might encounter issues.

The workaround where you bring up console (twice) and write "reconnect" works however, when I do this I stay connected afterwards, and while inconvenient, it is safer than DMZ.

Upvote 0
I also have the problem that the internet drops and reconnects multiple times when I run killing floor. If I exit killing floor the connection is re-established and doesn't fall again!

Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks

Only thing I can come up with offhand is checking the router setup to see if it has any conflicting rules, or is otherwise incorrect set up, or have older router software? I never had that problem myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reply I got from Thomson can pretty much be boiled down to this:

"You are stupid and set it up wrong, our router works fine."

Went through pretty much the entire CLI, and even after every security feature in there is turned off, still no go.

Returned the Thomson st780wl and can't really recommend their products, particulary after dealing with their support.

Waiting for a replacement ZyXEL P2602HWT, hope that one works better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's the second time that I've heard someone having a problem outside of BT and Thomson(O2 uses Thomson components). And both times it's been with a netgear router. We may actually be able to get hold of that netgear router to see what's going on with it. Thank you for your report Yamz.

BTW, Yamz, are you using the router as a modem for ADSL with AOL?

Upvote 0
It sounds like the dynamic routing table (or something relating to it) breaks for some reason, meaning incoming packets will eventually stop being received by the client. Using the DMZ feature of a router solves this problem as no dynamic routing table is needed, but it's not secure. If there was some way to set the port that the client uses to receive data on, then you could use port forwarding to get around this issue.

At least, this is what I speculate.

Upvote 0
Bugger, Bugger, Bugger! my bt home hud has just started to have this issue. not sure why all of a sudden as it's been fine since game release.

Edit: Console Reconnect seems to work but...

Next edit:

Tried portforwarding no joy for me. I tried setting a custom forward for KF and also setting a default forward for STEAM games.

Resorted to setting my rig to DMZ through my router and problem solved cheers msichief.

Filthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0