• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-NorthSea

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
1. Name: NorthSea
2. Filename(s): KF-NorthSea.rom
3. Version: Beta
4. Description: A map on a recently abandoned off-shore decontamination facility consisting of metal buildings connected via walkways. The theme is heavily inspired by the brilliant game Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and of course it's Plant chapter in particular. It is different enough from its source material to not fall into the category of a rip-off but close enough to it to inspire some nostalgia, I hope.

The map uses no Killing Floor content except for
a) the 3d Horzine logo
b) the trader rooms so players feel at home...
c) the music
Mappers are allowed to use 100% of what they find in the map as long as I get a small mention in the readme!

5. Story/Background:
-= In 2005 Horzine staged a tanker accident in the North Sea. The environmental catastrophy that ensued allowed the company to build a decontamination facility without raising suspicion. What the public didn't know was that the facility only served as a front for a submarine biotics lab.
Said lab was destroyed by the British Airforce in 2009 following the discovery of the illegal genetic experiments conducted by Horzine and securing plans of the installation in Horzine's head-offices. The nearby decontamination plant has not been targeted however, as it might still prove usefull in combating the aftermath of the tanker incident.
Your team of Special Forces is sent to cleanse the plant of any remaining specimens before a new crew is scheduled to be detached to the facility. =-

6. Screenshots:

11.jpg

6.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

7.jpg

A download link will follow as soon as I fixed this problem and as soon as I got my two missing sounds. I plan to have a download link by tomorrow evening.
EDIT:

I replaced both of my elevators with stairs now. As this wasn't planned, one of them doesn't look too hot.:(

It would be nice if some friendly folks could test this map on a private server. At this point I'm not olooking for suggestions anymore but pretty much only for error reports. If you have something small and nice in mind, I'd be happy to hear it though. :)

Thanks in advance, people.

EDIT2: Download link removed. See the Final topic for download links:
KF-NorthSea

Last edited:
But if I can be ready in time for wave 1 then I won't for obvious reasons.
I don't understand!? What obvious reasons?

It's a pretty big map. Big enough so players have to start traveling to the trader before the wave ends or else they won't reach it in time to buy anything. This gets players moving so they have to blast their way through the hordes and can't rely as much on defending a position but it also makes the map easier than the stock maps.

Upvote 0
I don't understand!? What obvious reasons?
Well the rules are pretty clear that you can only use retail content, or content you create yourself. So I guess no other content, even if you have permission from the creator. I'm also guessing that includes things like music, so some guys might be in for a rude shock (though at the end of the day the rules might be relaxed a little - after all who would know where a texture/soundtrack had come from anyway?) But personally I wouldn't take any chances. But its looking less likely my map will be finished in time now, and it isn't that great anyway. I may end up flogging your fishtank afterall :D

Upvote 0
No, by "content you created yourself" they mean "content you own". Whether you created it yourself from scratch or by downloading a free resource and modifying it or by having a buddy build it for you doesn't matter.
You can safely use the fishtank. Just mention me in the readme and everything is fine.

Here is a shot that shows the size of the map. Note the trader display shows 320m!
sizematters.jpg

And here is another shot of the central area that also showcases the glittering water near the sunset. :)
Shot00049.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I was going to mention the spacious thing. Some people prefer space but it looks to empty in my opinion. Just might be me and my KF Map syndrome. But the water and effects around the water look amazing. To me it looks like shimmering, might just be a lighting effect. But anyway amazing looking map! Get some more objects to fill the space and it'll be really great.

Upvote 0
I would fill it up to the roof with additional details but a) I would have to make them as I set the rule for myself to only use my own content and b) the map has to run on my pc and my pc sucks. No use creating a map I can't play in the end. :)

EDIT: A release will most likely not happen this evening. I'm terribly sorry folks! I got my sounds and implemented them but the elevators are too bad to be released. If I can't fix them by tomorrow evening (and subsequently release the map) I will remove them and add stairs instead, which isn't half as cool, obviously, but it's better than a get-out-of-jail-free card for players, which the elevators are, at the moment.
@driftwood: If you want the fish-tank earlier I can send them to you in a mini-map containing nothing but the fishtank. Hit me up with a PM if you are interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Murphy, looks very good of what I can see from the screenshots. I find it very dark though and I think some more lightning (lights) wouldn't hunt the overall look of the map, some outdoor wall lights maybe? Those lights you have on the wall in the corridor, maybe replace it with a directional light so the wall behind the light/lamp mesh wont be too bright and add unlit mask to the lamp texture if that's not there yet. Some corona's would look good in your map aswell.
Just some overall feedback of what I can see from the screenshots. Good luck!

Edit: When I wrote this I was on my laptop, but on my pc it looks much brighter. Looks alot better now :D You should still add coronas though, but thats probably a personal opinion. Looking forward for the download!

Last edited:
Upvote 0