• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Private beta testers.

JustFilth

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
UK
www.leveldesigner.co.uk
Hi all,

This thread is basically a request for clans and groups to offer there services by helping out level designers in the process of updating, testing and releasing there maps.

There seems to be a bit of groan rising from the amount of updates maps are recieving. You know the score, betav1 beta v6 final version900 and so on.

Well I think if we could create basically a service where mappers could have there maps play tested out of the public eye this would not only clean up the forums, download sites and so forth but also stop the fact of having to release quick fixies and such sometimes on a daily basis.

What I am hoping for is for dedicated clans, groups to sign up on this thread and start to collect a list of willing parties to help in this.

If you feel you would like to help in this matter please leave a few details attached to your reply following this format.

Group name
Group contact
Website or forums
location/timezone
Extra Info

Most maps are released in a none complete fashion not only because the mapper is new, or the mapper as not got a clue but simply because you can't test a map fully in solo mode hence the need for releasing half baked projects.

If you have had enough of these types of maps then lend a hand, get stuck in and sign up for duty troopers.

Cheers JustFilth.

Willing Testers so far :

Timezone: are servers are in Missouri. Are player base is located in the US and Canada.
Extra Info: We have two private password protected servers and a private redirect if anyone wants private testing we can help.We have a active group of gamers. We can also provide map hosting.

Timezone: UK GMT

Timezone: GMT : UK
Extra Info:
we have 2 servers located in London, UK

location/timezone Tampa Fl. / Eastern
Extra Info: Our Server's are out of Texas and we have
5 Red Orchestra
2 Darkest hour
1 killing floor

Last edited:
Group Name: Attention Deficit Gaming Disorder
Group Contact: Are Forums or add striter to your steam friends
Timezone: are servers are in Missouri. Are player base is located in the US and Canada.

We have two private password protected servers and a private redirect if anyone wants private testing we can help.We have a active group of gamers. We can also provide map hosting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hi all, i dont mean to hijack this thread but i am not seeking to bother groups with my maps. instead i am looking for anyone willing to test my maps along with me since that would get me the best feedback and i can experience what my testers experience at the same time.

I'm looking for people i can add to my friends list for instant communication and such
add me on steam dsant143 if you are interested in helping me out

thanks for the thread justfilth. this is exactly what new mappers like me needed :D

Upvote 0
Knightmare I can test maps alone with you to or simply leave you alone to a server to test with someone else. I can change server password for testing to make things private or put up another server just for the test. I'm not a mapper but like to help out. I love seeing new maps.

EDIT: I can't find dsant143 on steam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi knightmare106,

Firstly let me address this " i am not seeking to bother groups with my maps "

The whole idea behind this thread is to gain the support of people willing to help just like duke as offered, those who find it bothersome will not even sign up to this thread and offer support so i would not think along these lines.

Secondly the request for certian information is there to allow you to find a group within your own timezone where you will be able to strike up a relationship with the choosen group/groups and as you have pointed out to be able join in with the testing to get first hand feedback in realtime.

From my experience clans/groups usaully have a vast and diverse knowledge of online gaming, gameplay and of course a tactical awareness of there chosen game which for budding level designers like us can be a great building block to work with and as such is quite a valuable commodity.

Please dont feel you have hijacked this thread in any manner as basically you have the same lines of thought just viewed from a different angle. I also am willing to join you in your maps to help in any manner you need.

Cheers

JustFilth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd be happy to test maps, but I'm not in any group. Well, technically I have a Steam group for my servers, but it's not a "clan" or anything.

I have a server I could host any maps on to test them (privately or publicly).

I see no reason why it must be organized groups to test maps. Impromptu groups or even solo testers could provide insight, since the author of a map sees it differently from other people (as someone that's made maps since Doom 1, I know this).

My steam name is thrash242 and I'm in the central time zone of North America (Texas).

Upvote 0
Hi thrash242,

The reason for groups being used is basically for ease. If the thread was just listing people who are willing to test maps it would mean anyone wanting testers would have to contact and arrange 5 times in a row instead of a single time compared to a clan/group so please just see it as convienience as to why these have been requested, basically for ease of access and nothing more.

Clans/groups

"technically I have a Steam group for my servers" Obviusly you are in a good postion to help out. Your group does not have to be based in an official organized structure ie clan and so forth as long as you have the ability to muster people to test when requested, by the sound of it you can do this and the experience you say you have would undoudtably be very valuable to others.

I hope you better understand the concept of what this thread is aiming to provide. It would be great if you could pass along your steam group id and i could add you to the list on the OP.

Thanks kindly

Filthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all,

This thread is basically a request for clans and groups to offer there services by helping out level designers in the process of updating, testing and releasing there maps.

There seems to be a bit of groan rising from the amount of updates maps are recieving. You know the score, betav1 beta v6 final version900 and so on.

Well I think if we could create basically a service where mappers could have there maps play tested out of the public eye this would not only clean up the forums, download sites and so forth but also stop the fact of having to release quick fixies and such sometimes on a daily basis.

What I am hoping for is for dedicated clans, groups to sign up on this thread and start to collect a list of willing parties to help in this.

If you feel you would like to help in this matter please leave a few details attached to your reply following this format.

Group name
Group contact
Website or forums
location/timezone
Extra Info

Most maps are released in a none complete fashion not only because the mapper is new, or the mapper as not got a clue but simply because you can't test a map fully in solo mode hence the need for releasing half baked projects.

If you have had enough of these types of maps then lend a hand, get stuck in and sign up for duty troopers.

Cheers JustFilth.

Willing Testers so far :

Extra Info: We have two private password protected servers and a private redirect if anyone wants private testing we can help.We have a active group of gamers. We can also provide map hosting.

Timezone: UK GMT

Timezone: GMT : UK
Extra Info:
we have 2 servers located in London, UK

Group name =TaT= Thickasthieves
Group contact =TaT=Gen.Viper
Website or forums [url]http://thickasthieves.us/index.php?action=forum[/URL]
location/timezone Tampa Fl. / Eastern
Our Server's are out of Texas and we have
5 Red Orchestra
2 Darkest hour
1 killing floor

Upvote 0
Guess no one took my advice and warnings against "Private" beta testing and what will inevitably happen.

what were your dire warnings and advice against private beta testing?

There's no reason for modders to hold "Private Beta Tests" before a map launch. The only reason people do that is to make other players jealous and make them feel like they're part of the "in" club. My opinion of course.

AH! found it.

that pretty silly dont you think? to make other players jealous? and at the same time make them feel like their in a club? wtf? wouldnt you say it is better as a mapper to be able to choose who you want to test your map? by private it means you decide who you want to test it with you. i usually pick my clan leader, hes good at finding glitches, and he has a good eye for design. and from the look of your map, id definitely find a friend who has a good eye for design if i were you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i released an early version of my map publicly and although a ton of people tried it i only had feedback off one guy who pretty much told me everything i already knew. except the odd bit.

at least at a private event everyone is running around giving you their opinions on what they like and dislike as oppossed to some random guy going "your map sux".

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of critisism but at least explain why you think something is crap and then we can work on fixing that.

as for jealousy :confused:

what the hell. killing floor is seriously lacking in maps and is reaching out to the community for reinforcements.

We make maps so that we can play and share experiences together not to get the teachers praise etc.

Personnally i'd like to get my map on the official list even if i don't do well in the competition because i think its a fun map to play

Upvote 0