• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few Q's from a new player

Burial

Mar 14, 2009
First off I want to say that this game is fantastic; I really wish that I had picked it up earlier. I haven't played many realism games before (HI mod for the original Half Life is the only one I can remember), so some of these questions are probably obvious and I'm going to make myself look like a fool .

1) Do bullets from different guns travel at different speeds? I know you have to lead your enemy and such, but would I have to lead more with an SMG at the same range than with a rifle?

2) Do bullets penetrate walls in this game? On Danzig I swear I sprayed someone to death through the wood on the CC balcony, but I've never been killed/killed anyone through a wall after that.

3) Are tanks vulnerable to regular grenades? If I manage to get behind a tank as an infantryman, is it worthwhile to toss both my grenades under it or am I just wasting them?

4) Which Russian SMG behaves most like the STG44? By this I mean, which SMG trades rate of fire and higher recoil for improved accuracy and a harder hitting round, making it more effective at mid range and less so and close distance.

5) How detrimental to aim is the bayonet? I keep it off most of the time because I'm paranoid about some radical decrease in aim, but if the aim isn't reduced enough to severely impact regular shooting distance, I might as well keep it on.

6) Is there any was to reload a clip-fed rifle while it still has rounds in it? In the HL2 realism mod RnL, you can hit the reload key and it will work the bolt to "waste" a round and allow you to reload. This is useful because sometimes I'm down to 1 bullet and I don't want to shoot and reload in fear of giving away my position.

Thanks, hope you guys keep working on this awesome game.

First off I want to say that this game is fantastic; I really wish that I had picked it up earlier. I haven't played many realism games before (HI mod for the original Half Life is the only one I can remember), so some of these questions are probably obvious and I'm going to make myself look like a fool .

1) Do bullets from different guns travel at different speeds? I know you have to lead your enemy and such, but would I have to lead more with an SMG at the same range than with a rifle?

2) Do bullets penetrate walls in this game? On Danzig I swear I sprayed someone to death through the wood on the CC balcony, but I've never been killed/killed anyone through a wall after that.

3) Are tanks vulnerable to regular grenades? If I manage to get behind a tank as an infantryman, is it worthwhile to toss both my grenades under it or am I just wasting them?

4) Which Russian SMG behaves most like the STG44? By this I mean, which SMG trades rate of fire and higher recoil for improved accuracy and a harder hitting round, making it more effective at mid range and less so and close distance.

5) How detrimental to aim is the bayonet? I keep it off most of the time because I'm paranoid about some radical decrease in aim, but if the aim isn't reduced enough to severely impact regular shooting distance, I might as well keep it on.

6) Is there any was to reload a clip-fed rifle while it still has rounds in it? In the HL2 realism mod RnL, you can hit the reload key and it will work the bolt to "waste" a round and allow you to reload. This is useful because sometimes I'm down to 1 bullet and I don't want to shoot and reload in fear of giving away my position.

1) No, you have to lead depending on your ping

2) no

3) no, unless the crew has the hatches opened, then they can die from grenades, but no damage to the tank

4) ppsh41 is all you need, the others have slower rate of fire, but not necesarily better recoil or accuracy

5) aiming with bayonet has no side effects whatsoever

6) not in un-scoped bolt action rifles

Upvote 0
One correction, I'm fairly certain bullets from different weapons do travel at different speeds, same with tank shells. But the difference is often so slight (especially at close quarters) where it never matters. And if you are constantly playing with a crap ping, the difference becomes even less of an issue.

*The 'get shot through the wall when your foot is sticking through' is an engine bug, but you should be aware of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I think bullet speed is all the same, or not noticable. Rifles do reach further though.

Bullet penetration isn't in due to engine limitation.

Tanks themselves aren't affected by grenades, but when driver/commander are unbuttoned, they can get hurt by them.

Personally, I prefer the PPD40. Seem more controllable to me, but that might just be my imagination :)

Bayonets dont affect aim. In most cases, in real life, rifles are built to take bayonet weight in account for weightbalance.

There's no way to reload mid-clip. Only the sniper version of the bolt action can reload single bullets, since they aren't loaded via clips.

I hope this helps (as addition to the ppl who replied already)

Upvote 0
I kind of expected the responses I got, but it's disappointing that you can't damage tanks with grenades. I don't know much about tanks, but 2 grenades right under one should do at least some sort of damage.

As for the SMG question, Fedorov said that PPSh is always the best choice. Any other opinions on this?

Upvote 0
I kind of expected the responses I got, but it's disappointing that you can't damage tanks with grenades. I don't know much about tanks, but 2 grenades right under one should do at least some sort of damage.

As for the SMG question, Fedorov said that PPSh is always the best choice. Any other opinions on this?
Grenades kill with fragments. Besides the german stick grenade, which works more on concussion. But you can hardly expect it to do anything against armor :)

Upvote 0
Handgrenades won't damage tanks because a small explosive charge and shrapnel won't do anything to an inch of steel armor.

For the SMGs, just try them all and see which one you like; some people are masters with the Russian SMGs, while others (me) can't hit squat with them. Same goes for the German SMGS.

There is no Russian equivalent to the STG44. The STG44 was the first real (and successfull) assault rifle. If fires a smaller round than the Kar98k, but it is still a rifle round, rather than a pistol round that an SMG fires. This in conjuction with the STG44's longer barrel allows it to have a longer range than an SMG. The Russians have no assault rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yes, they travel at their relevant muzzle velocities, with speed diminising over distance per ballistics calcs.

No.

Tanks, no. As someone else said, grenades pack a very small charge and are useless against anything but the thinnest armor. Go Engineer and use satchel charges for a nice BIG bang :)

None of them - the nearest Russian equivalent was the AK-47, produced post-war. The PPSh is pretty brutal though and out-performs the German MP40.

Doesn't make much diff.

Just hit reload and reload a bullet a t a time.

See the notes above...

Upvote 0
Alright I understand that the Russians have no "equivalent" to the STG44, but there has to be one Russian SMG that preforms slightly better at mid range than the other two. I mean, if I were to take a PPD, PPSh and PPS to a 100m target, which one will give the best results, even if they are minimal.

Upvote 0
Alright I understand that the Russians have no "equivalent" to the STG44, but there has to be one Russian SMG that preforms slightly better at mid range than the other two. I mean, if I were to take a PPD, PPSh and PPS to a 100m target, which one will give the best results, even if they are minimal.

i think theyre all the same, but to me, the PPd works the best for midrange

Upvote 0

Historically, tanks by 1941 were impervious to hand grenades including their treads.

Germans did however, tie a bunch of grenades together to blow up lesser armored Soviet tanks and tank treads, but it was rather impractical.

Satchel charges and panzerfaults are the closest thing we've got to shape charges which were far more common.

Sadly, we don't have any magnetic mines or panzerschrecks in the vanilla version of RO. You have bazookas and panzerschrecks in Darkest Hour mod though.

If you are a new player, I'd recommend checking that mod out because RO by itself has ceased any real development in weapons and gear (just new maps).

[edit]

Doesn't DH have King Tigers now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't DH have King Tigers now?

We do, amongst the other greasy beasts in the DH arsenal. Upon our official release...very soon ;)

DH_Week3_1024px.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Like Wilsonam says. Yes they do.
Bullets traveling at different speed is my absolute favorit part of the game.
And becuase there are proper physics involved. It means you will more often have natural good and bad days.
Witch means you will enjoy the game (Years) longer.
Give the laser beam to the kids. I rather have a Bow & Arrow and a horse too. Too make it even harder to hit ;)

At short distances like under 50m there's hardly any difrence.
But from 100 up too 400m and more you got to lead your target over and in front if they sprint..
Of coerce ping is always a factor, but RO handles high ping very well, but less than 100 is always best.

I've killed MG gunners in the halftrack thru the slit in the armor, going full speed.
And shot them in the head from the sides and in the back at all angles. At full speed :D
Its a BUCKET of joy each time I get a tank cmd/driver or MG kill. Especially if they go.. WTF :eek:

In RO sniper (Rifle) bullets travels faster than sound.
Sometimes you'll see a flash from the barel, but theres no sound before you die, except impact.
I've been naild by Snipers many times on really long shots and I can't tell where the shoot came from.
Its just the impact sound and I'm dead :eek:
On shorter distances I can "allways" tell witch direction it came from because I can here the sound.

So RO is THE KING of Bullet physics by far.. Only game close to it is Americas Army.
No suprise really. If i'm not mistaken it was "Tripwire" who did much of the simulation code for it?
AA is a "modern" warfare shooter with weapons that has much faster bullet speed than RO, and its probably why we don't have lead the target so much in AA

I hope Tripwire never forget how important proper physics is.

Real physics never goes out of date, becuase there's nothing to improve :cool:

Reason for Edit: Typo mistakes

Last edited:
Upvote 0