• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grand Theft Auto IV - Mega Thread - Potential SPOILERS

I watched twice, I mean trice :p.
Still a kucfing shame tho.
We PC gamers have waited nearly eight f------ months more for this...

Anyhow...

As we first revealed, the scale of the problems experienced by gamers who purchased Grand Theft Auto IV PC, is so unprecedented that Steam is refunding their customers on a case-by-case basis.

Now, thanks to reader **** we show you how to claim your own refund, or as Valve puts it, "a one-time customer service gesture." To start, follow the instructions on how to submit a support ticket, then follow the general outline below:
Subject: Refund GTA 4 due to technical errors​

Category: Billing Questions > Credit card​

Product: Grand Theft Auto IV​

Hello,​

I would like to get a refund of my GTA 4 copy bought from steam. Due to technical errors I am unable to play the game. I meet the recommended PC specifications/requirements but I cannot login to Rockstar Social Club , I cannot start the game, it keeps crashing to the desktop giving no error message what so ever (even after all the activation processes). Rockstar does not have a forum, I can't fix the game with driver updates, I have all the latest drivers and programs.​

Therefore due to no fault on my part I request a refund, I was given a faulty product.​

Message by Valve Support

Hello,​

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.​

As requested, we have processed a refund to your account.​

Your bank or credit card issuer will return the funds to your account - please allow 3-5 business days for the funds to be posted.​

Please note in the future that Steam purchases, per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, are not refundable - this refund was issued as a one-time customer service gesture. If you require any further assistance, please let us know.​

I should not really post this, so if it gets deleted..np...​

Just goes to show that maybe alls not lost in the Steam.

EDIT, seems there is a patch...
http://www.fileplanet.com/195520/190000/fileinfo/Grand-Theft-Auto-4---Patch-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I don't get is why all the Securom/Games for Windows/Social club DRM bullsh*t when the game has to be played through Steam anyway?

Is not Steam considered a more than good enough way to stop piracy? Since you have to be logged in and stuff? Or am I being very naive?

Have to admit I've not downed a pirated game for years since I got a regular paying job, so I've no idea what the crax0rz do these days... :p

Upvote 0
Just given this a go and it is a truly terrible port. I've got the game on 360 already and thought it was excellent, but playing it on pc is just painful.

The controls (using mouse and kb) are rubbish.
All the games for windows and RSSC junk you have to install is annoying.
The graphic optimisations are just **** (I can run Crysis and FC2 maxed out with 50fps minimum, yet this struggles to hit 30fps on medium settings and a view distance which means the game world is literally non existant beyond one city block).
No AA.

And what's with game reviewers these days?
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/grandtheftauto4

91%?

Upvote 0
Just given this a go and it is a truly terrible port. I've got the game on 360 already and thought it was excellent, but playing it on pc is just painful.

The controls (using mouse and kb) are rubbish.
All the games for windows and RSSC junk you have to install is annoying.
The graphic optimisations are just **** (I can run Crysis and FC2 maxed out with 50fps minimum, yet this struggles to hit 30fps on medium settings and a view distance which means the game world is literally non existant beyond one city block).
No AA.

And what's with game reviewers these days?
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/grandtheftauto4

91%?

is even more funny if you look at the user score

Upvote 0
Oh FFS guys. The game is fantastic. Sure there isn't as much sidequest stuff to do in it as there is in San Andreas. And sure the PC version is more buggy than a roach motel, but the game, when it was released on the consoles earlier in the year was freaking awesome.

And im sure people who have the Console versions are quite happy with that, but how, pray tell, does that help the poor bastards who bought it for the PC?

It doesen't, just as me saying my tapwater is drinkable and tastes good doesen't help people in Africa who are dying from dysentery.

The PC port is garbage, plain and simple, and comming from a big-boy studio like R* i find it unacceptable, thease guys should have been able to get a port right, but just look at the mess they made of it..

Upvote 0
Oh FFS guys. The game is fantastic. Sure there isn't as much sidequest stuff to do in it as there is in San Andreas. And sure the PC version is more buggy than a roach motel, but the game, when it was released on the consoles earlier in the year was freaking awesome.
The game itself is awesome, I have it on my 360 and loved every moment of it.

But to review the buggy PC version and barely or not at all give mention to the technical problems it is plagued with and give it a perfect score. That is just misleading the people who rely on those reviews before making a purchase. Which kind of invalidates the whole point of reviewing in the first place.

Upvote 0
Another point is that i know how much of a timesink GTA was for me, allways. I loved to get lost and just cruise around, listen to classic (GTA3) driving over some pedestrians, watching sunsets from a tall building and what have you. So, basicly all the lil stuff they integrated intrests me greatly. Only thing i shed a tear about is that it seems there is no more tuning cars right ?

Upvote 0
Another point is that i know how much of a timesink GTA was for me, allways. I loved to get lost and just cruise around, listen to classic (GTA3) driving over some pedestrians, watching sunsets from a tall building and what have you. So, basicly all the lil stuff they integrated intrests me greatly. Only thing i shed a tear about is that it seems there is no more tuning cars right ?
If you're into details, cruising around and watching the virtual city breathing then GTA IV is THE game for you.

The first four months I played it I kept seeing new details everyday, be it in the environements, the pedestrians behaviors, their diversity and hearing new pedestrian lines, etc... Even things like your car having its light on in the habitacle while the door is open... It's amazing how many effort they put into those thousands of little details that 90% of the people playing this game won't even see.

Oh, you gotta wander around on foot a lot in the different boroughs to start grasping a part of it. Chasing down the 200 pigeons is the perfect alibi for that.

EDIT: And it's been a week since I purchased the PC version which is standing on my shelf in its original plastic wrapping... I'm still playing the PS3 version which I got April 28th. It's a little blurrier (lower res. on the PS3 does that) but it's a good product since it works the way it is supposed to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0