• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation Alpha - Patch OUT!

The procedure to reload mid-clip may look simple there, but in combat in WW2 it was probably too complicated a procedure for a soldier to go through, so they just emptied their clip.

Have you seen the same clip?
Pulling back the bolt, pressing a button and the clip springs out!
What could possibly be complicated in pressing a button!

Upvote 0
Whelp... tried the alpha tonight, finally.

Not a fan. The game crashed twice, the first time being when I started to join my very first server. The mantling system is just horrid. Half the time I'll think I'm over and start to move only to be warped back to the bottom and having to mantle again.

Movement is awkward. RO nailed the free aim + movement thing a hell of a lot better.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of absolutely no HUD for this game. I need some feedback. I don't care if it detracts from the "realism" they already killed that with some of the other things they've implemented.

Even still, it seems like a solid start. Yeah it's an alpha, so I'll cut them some slack.

Upvote 0
I believe the Garand's reloading mid clip and the issue is more related to the US army regulations (IIRC) to fire it empty before reloading. And since the Garand Thumb was also one danger and about 99% of time everyone just shot it empty, if you have no reason to reload it mid-clip you'd just emtpy the gun instead by using (or wasting) the remaining bullets.

Upvote 0
Movement is awkward. RO nailed the free aim + movement thing a hell of a lot better.
I think the main problem is the lingering view. It feels like you are either drunk or playing freespace 2 with a broken joystick.
A little head-bobbing is ok, just to get a sense of speed (HL2 has good head-bobbing if you sprint, I think. It's been a while), but this lingering is awkward.
I guess you could get used to it over time, but I haven't yet.

Upvote 0
I like it. Feels more natural to have feedback about your movement as opposed to the robotish stability in RO. The only thing that annoys me is the view centering when pressing the sprint button.

I feel the opposite, the RO philosophy is that if something is easy to do in real life it should be easy to do in a game (apparently not when it comes to jumping or climbing! :p)

I don't really want massive feedback when I'm moving in a game, if you were performing the actions yourself you wouldn't consciously notice all the feedback you get from the movement.

Upvote 0
I feel the opposite, the RO philosophy is that if something is easy to do in real life it should be easy to do in a game (apparently not when it comes to jumping or climbing! :p)

I don't really want massive feedback when I'm moving in a game, if you were performing the actions yourself you wouldn't consciously notice all the feedback you get from the movement.

I agree, thats what turns me down in games like operation flashpoint, lots of movements just don't feel right

Upvote 0

After a while the feedback becomes 2nd nature, just like in real life. At least for me. The problem I have with RO's way is that it doesn't feel very natural to me to begin with and I think certain things are made a bit too easy to do while moving, e.g. shooting from the hip even over longer distances. Hipshooting while walking (yes you can actually walk in RO :p) or while jogging? In RO there is virtually no difference. Not meaning to turn this into a hipshooting debate, it's just the first thing that came to mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Come on Kraut, stick to one topic at a time please. We can discuss hipshooting later. Let's discuss the movement first.

Even if my head would tumble around like it seems to do in RnL my view would still be fixed to what I'm looking at and it wouldn't feel nearly as weird.
If I conciously want to let my view wander around like it does automatically in RnL I should have to use my mouse for that.

If they want to show movement and convey a sense of speed by something like head-bobbing they should go the route every shooter with head-bobbing took up to now: Let the headbobbing only occur by shifting the vektor of the direction people are looking in around. I.e. let the character bob up and down a bit (UT2004/UT3), or from side to side (Doom I/ Doom II), or maybe both, but don't turn him around.

Maybe they'll add an option to disable it, but I doubt it since people without it would have an advantage then. On the other hand, it's possible to disable head-bobbing in UT2004 and people without it have an advantage too, so who knows?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And of course you are leading everything ad hominem again.
Because I asked you to stick to one topic at a time? Would you rather change subject to RO's hipshooting in a RnL topic?

I'm sorry, but I won't take this sh!t no more. I'll stay out of topics where you posted from now on because you are being paranoid and you turn into personal attacks as soon as I show up. If you are not busy attacking others that is.

I added you to my ignore-list, not because I have anything against you as a person, but because I don't want to endanger the topics by getting wound up in a discussion with you.

Good Bye.

Upvote 0
Because I asked you to stick to one topic at a time? Would you rather change subject to RO's hipshooting in a RnL topic?

I'm sorry, but I won't take this sh!t no more. I'll stay out of topics where you posted from now on because you are being paranoid and you turn into personal attacks as soon as I show up. If you are not busy attacking others that is.

I added you to my ignore-list, not because I have anything against you as a person, but because I don't want to endanger the topics by getting wound up in a discussion with you.

Good Bye.

Meee ow!

Upvote 0