• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mass Effect - PC soon to be owners

PROTIP: Lowered piracy doesn't equal an increase in sales.

So why the hell pirate a game if they weren't gonna buy it in the first place? Because the game is bad? My god, you wanna play a bad game? (not aimed at you, but in general)

Not true. While there have apperently been torrents out there for about a month, so far none of them seems to really work. So it definetly lowered pirating thus far. Every week without a torrent out there means a week with a lot more sales.

The galaxy map thing was fixed ages ago, so they work :p

Upvote 0
So why the hell pirate a game if they weren't gonna buy it in the first place? Because the game is bad? My god, you wanna play a bad game? (not aimed at you, but in general)

In my experiance, there are 3 kinds of pirates:

1) kids and students who can't afford to buy the games they want to play, and ofcourse, people who live in poor countries like China.

2) People who are too damned cheap to pay for it, and will proudly proclaim "hah! i have 30 games installed, and i haven't payed for any of them!".

3) People who want to take the thing for a "test drive" before buying, but this group actually buys the games after they have demo'ed it.

Thease are the people who will pirate games frequently, and they are not lost sales, 1 and 2 never had any intentions of buying it, ever!, and never would even if they could not, and thease guys are definately the majority of pirates! group 3 is the only group where lost sales might come into play, because they wont be buying the games they found to be crap.. but then again, beeing as carefull with their money as they apparently are, they probably woulden't have anyway, they would have waited to hear about the game from freinds and reviews.

Its all BS, thease people are never going to go out and buy games because they have to wait a week or two, or even a month, before they can download it for free, it just doesen't work like that.

Upvote 0

A certain friend of mine used to pirate games just because it was so easy. If it was too much hassle to download a game, he would just download something else without ever considering buying any game in the first place. I think that's the majority of pirates.
For me video games have become jaded pleasures, most aren't even worth a download.

Upvote 0
PROTIP: Lowered piracy doesn't equal an increase in sales.
Says who? I'm not going to say any bull**** (like some publishers do) like "every copy pirated would be a copy sold" but I'm fairly sure pirating impacts sales and therefor less pirating equals more sales.

I have "a friend" who bought quite a few games back in the days that he wasn't absolutely after, games like Hi-octane, Trespasser, Syndicate Wars. He still bought them, just like you occasionally watch an only mildly entertaining movie at the theatre. Today he would download them.

3) People who want to take the thing for a "test drive" before buying, but this group actually buys the games after they have demo'ed it.
Yeah but this group consists of two sub-groups

3a) those that will actually buy the game afterwards

3b) those that don't give a damn: Why pay money for a game you already finished and probably won't play again in the next few months (e.g. Bioshock). Any homo economicus wouldn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Says who? I'm not going to say any bull**** (like some publishers do) like "every copy pirated would be a copy sold" but I'm fairly sure pirating impacts sales and therefor less pirating equals more sales.

I have "a friend" who bought quite a few games back in the days that he wasn't absolutely after, games like Hi-octane, Trespasser, Syndicate Wars. He still bought them, just like you occasionally watch an only mildly entertaining movie at the theatre. Today he would download them.

I'm not going to argue that piracy doesen't have some impact on sales, it undoubtedly does, especially of crappy games, what i am arguing is that i dont belive, not even for a second, that it is a significant impact, like the industry claims, since we all know that most of the pirates where never going to buy the games anyway, i'd say the vast majority of pirated copies are not infact lost sales (and when they roll out thouse lists of "ohh dread, look how many people downloaded our games", thouse are global numbers, how many of thouse downloads do you think belong to poor countries? and does anyone really belive that piracy is going away in thease countries?).

And thus, thease draconian "anti-piracy" schemes are utterly unwarrented, they don't stop piracy at all, all of them, even Starforce, got cracked and beat, and even if they did actually work, most of the pirates would probably never buy the game anyway, so why subject your paying customers to this BS? all they are doing is making it harder for us to play the game legaly, who came up with something that stupid!?

And besides that, seeing how many people are boycutting games like Mass Effect because of this BS, they are probably loosing more money on it than they are saving, thease boycuts are definately lost sales, but the pirates can allready download it for free, i'll bet you its actually loosing them more money than if they had used no copy protection at all (like Sins of a Solar empire, which incidentally has sold really well).
And it is definately earning them angry and disgruntled customers who are likely to not buy their next game, thouse are also lost sales.

They are shooting themselves in the foot here, and sadly, they are also adding another nail to the coffin for PC gameing, if BS like this becomes the norm for PC games, then who the hell would continue playing on the PC? even i woulden't, i'd buy a console where i dont have to put up with that sort of rubbish, and that despite my legendary disinterest in consoles and their games.

Yeah but this group consists of two sub-groups

3a) those that will actually buy the game afterwards

3b) those that don't give a damn: Why pay money for a game you already finished and probably won't play again in the next few months (e.g. Bioshock). Any homo economicus wouldn't.

No, not really, if they don't buy the games they like, then they automatically become Group-2, Group-3 was reserved for the pirates who actually do buy the games they like, though admittedly my Group-setup was a bit hamfisted and overly simplistic ;)

Upvote 0
I'm not going to argue that piracy doesen't have some impact on sales, it undoubtedly does, especially of crappy games, what i am arguing is that i dont belive, not even for a second, that it is a significant impact, like the industry claims, since we all know that most of the pirates where never going to buy the games anyway, i'd say the vast majority of pirated copies are not infact lost sales (and when they roll out thouse lists of "ohh dread, look how many people downloaded our games", thouse are global numbers, how many of thouse downloads do you think belong to poor countries? and does anyone really belive that piracy is going away in thease countries?).

And thus, thease draconian "anti-piracy" schemes are utterly unwarrented, they don't stop piracy at all, all of them, even Starforce, got cracked and beat, and even if they did actually work, most of the pirates would probably never buy the game anyway, so why subject your paying customers to this BS? all they are doing is making it harder for us to play the game legaly, who came up with something that stupid!?

And besides that, seeing how many people are boycutting games like Mass Effect because of this BS, they are probably loosing more money on it than they are saving, thease boycuts are definately lost sales, but the pirates can allready download it for free, i'll bet you its actually loosing them more money than if they had used no copy protection at all (like Sins of a Solar empire, which incidentally has sold really well).
And it is definately earning them angry and disgruntled customers who are likely to not buy their next game, thouse are also lost sales.

They are shooting themselves in the foot here, and sadly, they are also adding another nail to the coffin for PC gameing, if BS like this becomes the norm for PC games, then who the hell would continue playing on the PC? even i woulden't, i'd buy a console where i dont have to put up with that sort of rubbish, and that despite my legendary disinterest in consoles and their games.
A) Mass Effect is currently on #2 of the german pc game charts, probably the same in UK
B) PC Gaming is not dying. Ask Crysis, Valve, etc. If you're claiming that pirates have nothing(or hardly anything) to do with the future of PC Games then you can't say that PC Gaming is almost dead. There are more and more pc players.

Upvote 0
Guys watch the conversation. TWI does not believe in piracy of any kind, any type of piracy hurts the games industry as a whole (especially the PC part because it is so much easier to do). And yes, Piracy hurts sales, It might not be as much as some of the claims out there, but I'll laugh in the face of anybody who says it doesn't at all. And at the end of the day, it is the developers more than the publishers that are hurt by these actions. Standard case is the dev's don't get paid till the publisher makes all it's money back and then some. And as less "rich" portions of the world, many companies including Valve and Steam, offer their titles at a vast discount with region restrictions (so that the richer countries don't pay these less expensive prices) to these areas.

In the end, there is no legitimate excuse to pirate a video game or anything else. If you wish to protest something there are legal ways to go about doing so, such as boycotting it. If you feel that the Intellectual Property of others is your plaything to do with as you wish, work to change your governments laws, and then say goodbye to games as you know them.

So now stay on the topic of this post which is Mass Effect. And if you wish to talk about it's DRM do so without the promotion of illegal activities, and I suggest a new thread for it.

Upvote 0
Ohh relax Yoshi, nobody is promoting piracy (well not unless a bunch of posts got deleted durring the last 8 houers when i slept, in which case you can safely ignore this post), we are debating wether or not draconian DRM like SecuROM actually works as intended, if we as customers should put up with it, and if whatever effect it has is actually worth the inconveniance and restrictions put on legit customers, or if it's actually making them less money because people choose to boycut the product instead, or even pirate it out of spite.

It's just debate, nobody is flying the Jolly Roger :)

Upvote 0
Maybe you should start a new thread if you want to discuss on piracy in general.
Edit:
So now stay on the topic of this post which is Mass Effect. And if you wish to talk about it's DRM do so without the promotion of illegal activities, and I suggest a new thread for it.
That says enough, doesn

Last edited:
Upvote 0