• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

COH: Opposing Fronts

you can mod that - if you play single player :)

I have a script that allows me to zoom out pretty far, same for Dawn of war series. And some keys set to slow down the game so I can think!

To physically slow down the game so it's in slow-mo, or slows down the ai , so they're not constantly chucking **** at you/ takin your points.

If the latter, i'd love to know how. I love taking it slow, but moderately challenging. Having enemy recon jeeps being thrown at your troops all the time is NOT fun.

Upvote 0
I think a game where the guys are built like hulk hoganand smoke cigars in the cutscenes while hip shooting tommys isnt sposed to be realistic in the 1st place. I never suggested it was realistic....and i don't think relic intended it to be. As for spamming with arty etc that is true to some extent if your playing the game on easy AI try turning it up to expert and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I only play online. Other players only play to win and have good stats and aren't above abusing game mechanics to win. If I was playing the AI, I'd have been swamped in Jeeps and Engineers. Seriously, play online for a few games. Assuming you can actually connect to a game, you'll quickly get frustrated.

Actually, Opposing Fronts was marketed as having "unprecedented realism." I suppose you can argue that it does (for a mainstream RTS) seeing as how things like armor or cover make a difference. Although, I always find it amusing when 105mm Howitzer rounds hit my Panther tank and bounce off harmlessly.

Upvote 0
Actually, Opposing Fronts was marketed as having "unprecedented realism." I suppose you can argue that it does (for a mainstream RTS) seeing as how things like armor or cover make a difference. Although, I always find it amusing when 105mm Howitzer rounds hit my Panther tank and bounce off harmlessly.
... yet even bigger rounds bounce off a Panther's armor in RO.

Upvote 0

And Commandos 2 was also marketed with the "The most realistic WW2 game" crap and wait what... enemies can't see you past fifteen metres if you are crawling and are half deaf and... wtf? I know quite a few games which has this ironic marketing crap even though they are far from realistic ingame.

False advertising? Maybe, but that's one reason why I rarely believe anything the market slogans or box cover comments say. Somehow I remember this RO advertising about tank combat ended up being a nice fuel for the fires. I know, it is bit false advertising in it's own ways but do you people seriously believe everything you read? I really wonder.

Somehow this also reminds about few funny things I heard about WH40k DoW back when it was released, like "omg it sucks it lacks realism" :D

Upvote 0
For the mainstream crowd.

So what do the h4rdk0re gamers play? I'm really interested because the only strategy games that come to my mind when I think about teh reelizm are round-based.

CoH being advertised as realistic? I honestly don't know, I haven't seen a single ad for OF but I remember an ad for CoH vanilla which was the generic "Saving Call of Honor Brothers" ****. To take this further, you'd have to be living under a rock and never have seen actual screenshots to believe CoH/OF was in the slightest way realism-based.

Upvote 0
A capture the resource point RTS is never going to be called realistic in a complete sense, but then again, no game ever is.

The Combat Mission series and Ground Control were great because they weren't resource point based. You started with you your forced, and that was it. It was a real disappointment that GC2 was a resource based game.

But what CoH had over other resource point based RTS games was the combat was more natural/life-like that other RTS games. So I can see why people could use the word "realistic" to describe it. They don't mean that the armour penertation values are correct.
What they mean is that you can set-up a proper ambush (left and right cut-off groups, killing goup), with a couple of MG at either end of the killing group, overlapping their fields of fire. And it will play out like a proper ambush.

I don't have CoH:OS, but reading the reviews, the two new armies are completely polarised to an extend that you don't get in the real world. But you do get it a lot in games, to give a more varied game experience. Games have to me made to hit a large enough target audience to make it worth while. And they have to be interesting of else we leave them

I think playing the UK against the Wehrmacht, and the US against the Panzer Elite might be more natural. Toning down the "special abilities", just as only 1 glider drop a game would make it more natural. But

Upvote 0
Mainstream = most players. More players = better?

My thoughts exactly.

I still have quite major influence the reason why CoH gets bashed is 1. It's the western front and 2. it is not realistic game and 3. it is the second world war. Western front WW2 without any realism is doomsday for everyone.

Let's begin the witch hunt shall we?

Upvote 0