• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Taking a deep breath

Perhaps everyone should take the OP's advice. Pause for a second and take a deep breath. ;)

Geesh.. The clan/pubber arguments began before many of the posters were a twinkle in their mother's eye.

I use the term "clan" loosely. It is not so much the clans that claim to be God's gift to gaming and the reason for a game's longevity. It is generally a select few members of those clans that play competitively. News flash! Not all clans are about competitive play. Not all competitive players are good. Nor do all pubbers stink. (and visa versa).

Almost everyone began their online gaming experience as a noob and on a public server. (Granted their are a few lucky individuals that were born with Nostromo's permanently attached to their hands and GOA's of their respective clans, but for the sake of arguement, we'll ignore them). Let us not forget from whence we came. Can you imagine buying RO and being forced to play only on an competitive clan server that had an elitist attitude as you learned the game? How long do you think the majority of new players would play before putting RO on the shelf? A week? A day? Public servers, noobs and public players are the rea$on there is enough intere$t and player number$ to support competitive play. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Rhetorically speaking, if public servers and pubbers are beneath you and aren't your thing, then by all means play competitively and leave the public server players alone. Why go slumming? They don't know what fun is. I don't imagine they'd miss you much. I'm certain they wouldn't miss the ego or the attitude.

I've done both in my gaming tenure. I've enjoyed meeting new players in the pubs, I've enjoyed making lasting relationships in a clan and I've enjoyed the competition in the matches. I've never enjoyed the sophomoric arrogant chest beating of some. Though that is not what the OP was about, I think its what many here find dis-tasteful and what can give any organization a less than stellar sheen.

Your mileage may vary....

Floyd (

Upvote 0
Always an entertaining subject, and we haven't even discussed the "realism" clans yet... :D

Pub games are different than clan matches, we all know this. Clan matches are like special forces engagements; small numbers, fast moving, brutally efficient combat skills, and each individual has the skill, experience, and ability to adapt to new situations on the fly. Everyone on both teams has a job and knows their job inside and out.

Pub matches are more like regular infantry engagements; large numbers, slower moving, wildly varied combat skills, and the team need good leadership to succeed. Not everyone knows what they need to do or how to do it.

That's the way I look at the differences, at least. Sometimes its a blast to be on a 50 player server and get bogged down in a static shooting match, bullets flying everywhere, Vader yelling at folks to assault, and so forth. Other times, watching a plan unfold and work, moving with coordination and using communication as a weapon are supremely satisfying as well.

Clan players are lucky we get to do both. I wish pub players had the chance to play in a more organized manner (this is why IC was so cool) every so often, just to get an understanding of what tactical play with good communication feels like.

Upvote 0
Actually, some non-clan players do get that. Finding a regular server and teaming up with the same guys when your on can lead to a lot more coordination and communication. WOLF's Forgotten Hope server is a lot like this (or was when I played -- I haven't played FH in ages). You can find that with gaming communities, if not necessarily in clans. It's not folks who've practiced specific strategies to the point where one guy yells "BLUE 32!" and everyone knows what to do, but familiarity with your fellow players can get you to a point where you trust them enough to work together.

And I don't think anyone's been denying that clan play and pub play are DRASTICALLY different. They absolutely are. And I get that one or the other may not be everyone's cup of tea. That's cool. Good thing we have options.

The only thing I've objected to in this discussion is the notion that because a particular style of play isn't one's preference, TKing teammates -- even in retaliation -- is somehow not as big a deal. Especially when the retaliation is for what was initially an accidental (if possibly boneheaded) kill.

Hammer, in your scenario, when the guy says "OMG SRY" for nading you (with you wondering "Uh, how the hell did you think I WOULDN'T die there?"), can see giving him a "Dude, WTF? Good guys wear [insert uniform color here]!!" response. Shooting him in retaliation, though, is not cool. I can understand it more with the guy who tosses the nade and goes "Haha pwned", but even then it's often a bad idea to retaliate since it can lead to a TK war that just pisses EVERYONE off (well, except the initial TKer, probably).

Noobs will be noobs (and hopefully will improve in time), and even good players make mistakes sometimes. Just because it's a pub doesn't mean you should shoot them for it. Even if it's intentional, you're probably better off either ignoring the guy or simply disconnecting and finding another server.

Upvote 0
I never said that [ = that Hummer's time is more important and valuable than others' time on public servers]. My time isn't that important either, but the pubs just don't matter.

SNAP!
It's just odd that people get upset and worried about a round that won't be remembered 3 minutes after it happened.

Like Smokey said, the only thing good about pubs is the easy targets. That's it. I have never seen a pub game that could not have been improved by a few more clanners.

44 player pub server? Absolutely retarded.

44 player clan match? Well, still retarded, but the skill level is much more fun to play against.

EDIT -- None of this is "because I'm a clanner." It's because I realize just how worthless pubs are. I've been in some pretty ****ty clan matches, and they still were better than any pub game I have ever played.

So you're saying your time is no more, no less important, a-a-and then you say how retarded (for you) pubs are? Sirrah, I fail to comprehend the basic logic underlaying the quoted satement.

1) As far as I'm concerned, there are quite a few good moments from various rounds that remind me why I love this game. And it's been weeks since some of them happened. Also, the rather lively and long-lasting thread about "The Greatest Moment in RO so far" attests that there are loads of people who remember something from public servers for more than 3 minutes after it happens.

2) Saying you're not trying to make yourself important and then saying that 44 player pub server is "absolutely retarded" - well, depends what you define as retarded. If I were asked to do that, I'd say that claiming not to be negative about something and then frowning on it, then that would pretty much be retarded. No offense, but pick arguments that are to the point next time, shall we? ;)
I find large player number servers to be great fun. In fact, I think it's abosulutely wonderful fun if you have 20-couple random people thrown together as a team and you see them actually start cooperating and working as a team, getting organised ad hoc and deciding they can beat the other team, finding the determination to do that. Competitive play, in my experience, fails to provide as much fun as a pub game (or a fun game with pros).
Also, if you're against high number of players per team: as EH put it - each loss is felt more by your team, with which I agree; whether you like that or prefer to be part of a mass is a matter of personal preference about which I won't try to debate. But I wouldn't say it's retarded, BAM, just like that. It's like saying Americans are retarded, because they are Americans; or that Poles are retarded, because they are Poles (hey, they are retarded, riiight?).

3) None of this is because I'm not a clanner. It's because I realize how big e-penors some clanners have (I know, I've once grown one, too; got rid of it somewhere along the way, though). In what way are even the most ****ty clan games better than any pub game you've ever played?
I thought you were aware that clan play and public play are completely different, therefore comparing them is quite pointless?

Also, I fully understand that public servers are, in a way, target practice for clan players. But as Solo so rightfully pointed out - it doesn't give you a reason to be a dick. If you really have to, then there's this nice option in RO's menu - and it's called "Practice".

Shazzam, hunny-bunny.

Upvote 0
So you're saying your time is no more, no less important, a-a-and then you say how retarded (for you) pubs are? Sirrah, I fail to comprehend the basic logic underlaying the quoted satement.

Err... I essentially said that my time is equal to everyone else's that plays this game... You know, like the people who support pubs? I don't support pubs.:rolleyes:

1) As far as I'm concerned, there are quite a few good moments from various rounds that remind me why I love this game. And it's been weeks since some of them happened. Also, the rather lively and long-lasting thread about "The Greatest Moment in RO so far" attests that there are loads of people who remember something from public servers for more than 3 minutes after it happens..

Once again, I'm not saying "Don't go play on public servers." That is your choice to make, if you really really love pubs, knock yourself out.

I am saying that I simply don't see the point of playing on them when there are far better alternatives.

2) Saying you're not trying to make yourself important and then saying that 44 player pub server is "absolutely retarded" - well, depends what you define as retarded. If I were asked to do that, I'd say that claiming not to be negative about something and then frowning on it, then that would pretty much be retarded. No offense, but pick arguments that are to the point next time, shall we? ;).

How is stating my opinion of a server making myself more important? :confused:

I have never played a good round on a 44-player server (and I have played plenty). If you believe you have, good for you.

I thought you were aware that clan play and public play are completely different, therefore comparing them is quite pointless?

They both play the same game different ways, but pubs are simply trying to achieve a clan level of teamwork.

It's like comparing the Playboy mansion with the strip club down the street.

Either way, you are getting action - but do you want a really crowded strip club with saggy women, or about 16 amazing girls?

Shazzam, hunny-bunny.

That's two posts in a row that you have tried to come on to me. Sorry, I don't swing that way. ;)

Upvote 0
Regardless of one's personal preferences for gameplay, be they pub or clan, just be courteous when you're playing.

You may think the strip club down the street is a complete dive and frequented by low-grade morons, but if you do go in there, don't piss on the floor. After all, you CHOSE to go in there in the first place, so show a little restraint.

Upvote 0
What i ment by clan members not talking to the right people when on public servers is sure they talk to the clan members and they could win the round for the team very easy but... they are not playing as a team in the sense that they exlude all the non clan members on the team. They could use the game voip and keep the rest of the public players filled in on whats going on.

Yeah in a sense i want public servers to play more like clan matches but... without any of the importance of winning since the teams would be different every round. Zero stress if you win or lose. It is all just a game after all. But i do want everyone to try to win on both sides. I dont care if players on my team cant shoot or get killed a lot or accedentlly tk. All i really ask is that everyone tries to work as a team to win.

Maybe the real solution would be to give different game play modes. Instead of always having objectives maybe a team based free for all type map. Where the goal is simply to win by attrition. Wipe out the other teams reinforcements. That way the people that just want to hide in a corner and pick people off would get what they want and still be doing good for the team.

Upvote 0
mmhhh..plaid...i agree with you on certain points but NOT on a teamdeathmatch mode. Some servers tried to do it with a conversion of the "bridge" map from cod2. And guess what..it was boring as hell. No incentive to move...camp, camp, camp. No thats not what glued me to my monitor. I whould love to play in a clan but failed to find the bunch i might fit in. :D

Upvote 0
Ha, wow pretty huge thread about a TK. Today on Debrecen I was on foot at village. One of my "teamates" asks "who's at the village?" I clearly respond with "me" (my name pops up and is clearly shown). So the next thing he fires a HE right at me and kills me......he doesn't say A WORD after, nothing...OK? Making it more maddening is that I ran all the way to the village on foot from another objective which took a good amount of time to get there. I could've went ape**** on him but I had better things to do like try and win the match. Yeah it gets you mad but come on, if it's just a one time thing let it go I say. If however it happens again and again well that's entirely different, go nuts in that case.

Upvote 0