• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Return RO:CA

Dont be so stupid, if you're gonna come up with an argument to go back playing ro-ca at least make it a valid one.

You're absolutely right.

Ostfront is turning more and more gamey. It's partly due to it's players and partly due to the game itself. Take Danzig for instance. When that map first got released on Ostfront, Tripwire released a new trailer which proclaimed "Intense Close Quarters Combat" followed by a guy running down a hallway hipshooting a STG44. I see more and more players hipshooting these days and not with just SMGs, I see it with bolts. Ostfront aslo includes a new "feature" where players know when someone is capping an objective across the map. You get this flashing icon warning you. Not only are you warned when someone is taking an objective you also get an idea of how many players there are in an objective. In the mod there was no warning and there was no way to know how many you had to kill to clear it out. Another new "feature" includes being able to slide around on your belly when laying prone and in ironsights. Yet another "feature" in Ostfront is the ability to snake when sprinting, while in the mod, there was a short pause before you could change directions. Ostfront has an almost animated look to it, some would say cartoonish. The player count is another issue. With 44-50 players running around a map, Ostfront has lost it's "tactical" feeling for me.

Upvote 0
The only thing I see in your argument that I actually like as a part of the game is that "snaking around" on one's belly in iron sights, as I feel it makes it possible for one to make minute adjustments to their aim and be a little more precise instead of fumbling around trying to find the position that is just right.

Everything else though I feel compelled to agree with.

EDIT: In response to ERK ^

Upvote 0
Newsflash to all the people who think SMG hipshooting has been made easier in the game - SMGs were more accurate in the mod and everything but the ppsh has more recoil. I also can't describe the amount of people I kill who turn a corner and start spraying until I kill them with an aimed burst to the chest and come out unharmed. All semi-autos were also nerfed.

Upvote 0
The only thing I really dislike in ROOST is the class slots on 50 player servers, I know the slots were increased in the same way the number of players were (like +50% players = +50% class slots) but sometimes the server isn't even full so you see everyone using all kinds of weapons except a rifle. Maybe like 2 or 3 but in a team of 20 it doesn't really matter.

Also I would like to see the interrupt reloading option for the sniper back.

And yes, I also liked the old capping system more. There's nothing better forcing teamwork then when you need more then one soldier to cap because ROOST lacks teamwork. I know teamwork and internet games don't mix very well but you should all try it, especially with tanks, I always teamtank because I know we have an advantage to the enemy then, I know sometimes you have morons who are like "lulz, I R in boomcanonnon!!!one1!!!" but you just have to force yourself and try to try harder so you compensates his lack of skill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't play the mod that long compared to others (maybe 4 months before Ostfront came out). Some things that I remember as being better in the mod:

#1 atmosphere, I agree with all who say the mod was gritty, dark, and even depressing all the things you expect when in war. I loved the atmosphere, Kiev....damn that map (even though I only played it 3 times about) was absolutely sadness incarnate, DREARY, I loved it.

#2 the mod nades made a sound when they hit the ground as opposed to the "ninja" nades in Ostfront.

#3 smgs were more deadly

#4 many of the gun sounds were better in the mod.

Those are just some things I recall well.

Upvote 0
At this point, the thread lost all credibility.

I was being sarcastic about the health packs. Although... take the resupply points that are in Ostfront and weren't in the mod. I'm not going to say that nade spamming didn't happen in the mod (because it did), but resupply points have only made it worse.

murderous_eagle said:
Newsflash to all the people who think SMG hipshooting has been made easier in the game - SMGs were more accurate in the mod and everything but the ppsh has more recoil.

As I stated, Ostfront is becoming more gamey partly due to the players. While SMGs were more accurate in the mod, most players didn't resort to hipshooting. There was a different mentality back then where players had more class and dignity in their style of playing. I know most will say they don't play on pubs for this reason. But, I've played scrims lately and some of these clans resort to gamey tactics to win. There aren't any great fire fights anymore; it's all about taking advantage of the map to win. Take for instance a tank battle I recently took place in. The opposing clan simply got to the objectives first and won. I don't think I heard a single shot fired. Another scrim ended quickly because of bad weather and it was raining nades that day. Or they would call artillery on an objective right before it was capped and it became our new spawn location. I'm seeing members from different clans running around hipshooting, or setting up a MG right outside a spawn exit... that kind of thing didn't happen as often from what I remember.

Upvote 0
With a bigger community things like these happen. Almost every game that is only played a few selected folks, where everyone knows the other one tends to be better than a game where you hop on a server and you are never going to see anyone of the players there again.
Its sad but true and there is nothing you could do about that other than to play only with friends or similar minded folks. Either by founding or joining a clan or by playing in something like the Iron Crescendo.

Upvote 0
I find the weapon sounds now much much better then in the mod. In the mod it was like air escaping from a tire except the STG44 was more realistic.
Some are some aren't. The ones that I can recall offhand are: the SVT40, mp40,mp41, g43 sounded alot better in the mod. There's probably more but I don't remember all the sounds well.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I think 80% of the complaints are because of nostalgia reasons.

Take Danzig for instance. When that map first got released on Ostfront, Tripwire released a new trailer which proclaimed "Intense Close Quarters Combat" followed by a guy running down a hallway hipshooting a STG44. I see more and more players hipshooting these days and not with just SMGs, I see it with bolts.

Hipshooting is realistic. That's what SMGs are designed for; to provide maximum firepower in tight situations. Also, there was just as much as hipshooting in the mod. It hasn't increased.

The mod was more gritty / darker in appearance, but guess what... back then, people complained that it wasn't realistic. That, shock horror, the sun actually shined on the Eastern Front too! It doesn't always has to be so depressing. I much prefer the "warm summer day" feel of the new Kaukasus. Same goes for Basovka (although Ponyri had a great feel too).

In other words, some people will never be happy and will always complain, no matter which direction TW is taking.

As for people complaining about the over abundance of hipshooting, I do kind of agree, but map design is key here. See how much hipshooting you see on maps like Kriegstadt compared to maps like Stalingrad Kessel... Kriegstadt clearly provides a more accurate portrayal of WWII combat.

I do agree that the mod did certain things better, but imo (yes, imo), overall Ostfront is better than the mod.

Some are some aren't. The ones that I can recall offhand are: the SVT40, mp40,mp41, g43 sounded alot better in the mod. There's probably more but I don't remember all the sounds well.

Meh, the MP40 sounded much "snappier" in the mod... it's louder now. The one sound from the mod I want back is the STG44... that thing sounded like a beast! Now it sounds like it shoots rubber bullets.

By the way, go to YouTube for a couple of mod videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Red+Orchestra+mod&search=Search

As you can see, the mod also had its problems! But those videos are fun to watch. The mod was great for sure. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I'll just add my plea to someone who knows how to make a mutator. I've been saying the same thing about the change in the cap system since ROOST came out. It would be great if someone made these changes...(maybe also add weapon change delay and vehicle position delay :p)

Regarding hipshooting... I guess some people don't remember Koitos, and the unbelievable rapage that was possible with hipshooting on that map. Hipshooting was MUCH more accurate before.

And regarding the grittiness, I think that it is probably true for stock maps that they are less dark. But as Hobo has shown custom mappers can make a grittier feel with their maps. It is possible.

Upvote 0