• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rugby World Cup

Rugby World Cup

• New Zealand

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • France

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Argentina

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Ireland

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • England

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Wales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scotland

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
I think the Wallabies could threaten yet, it's very much in the hands of the Southern Hemisphere big three......cant see any threat from our side of the globe.

Erm yeah have to agree completely.

After the England vs USA game I felt really frustrated with the English performance.

USA deserve merit for their tenacity even tho they get coming round the side and the ref didn't anything about it.

Luckily for England that nasty trip attempt went unseen and unpunished.

Upvote 0
In the U.S., about 10 years ago or so, they had Rugby matches on TV once a week on Fox Sports International for about a year or so. Then they got rid of it.

I watched some of them, but didn't really understand what was going on.

I did see South Africa win the Rugby World Cup, and Nelson Mandela went on the field.

My question is how popular is this sport in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England compared to Football (we call it soccer)?

I know Rugby is the top game in the British Commonwealth; I know it's huge in New Zealand, South Africa, and probably Australia.

Also, what about cricket?? How popular is that in the U.K.? Does it have a big following? Cricket seems real popular in India and Pakistan and the Caribbean.

In the United States, baseball is considered the "national pastime," but American football is just as popular; basketball is just a little behind baseball and American football, and NHL hockey is more of a secondary sport (though strong) trying to gain a wider audience but very popular in northern American cities with a hockey tradition (like Detroit).

I have heard of the U.S. Rugby team the Eagles, but very, very few people follow Rugby, soccer, or cricket in the U.S., and it is never talked about except when there was the soccer World Cup last summer. They did cover all the games on TV and had some documentaries about it. But when that one player knocked the other with a head butt in the final game, that sort of spoiled the honeymoon.

So how popular are rugby and cricket compared to Football (soccer) in the U.K.??

Upvote 0
There's loads more money in football, plus it's a lot easier to understand...
Rugby and cricket do have a large following, but not quite so big.
Soccer over there is corrupt and bloated. I know of this Irishman who comes into my work once a week (he used to live in the same street George Best lived in) and he says soccer doesn't have the heart and soul it used to have becuase of all this money. The players today are not worth the money they're getting.

So maybe it's a good thing rugby isn't as popular as rugby then?

Upvote 0
Football has always been more popular cos of it's accesability - cricket for example is quite equipment intensive , so was generally played more at fee paying schools i guess- it also requres a lot of space.
The same to some extent can be said of Rugby ( traditionally, but not exclusively, a puplic-meaning private - school game) at least the majority of players from this country, like with cricket, went to good schools.
I think this has limited both selection and support of these 2 sports to some extent, though you pick up a following from ex- commonwealth residents of the UK.

Upvote 0
Soccer is played in the U.S. mainly by middle class suburban schoolchildren along with Little League baseball (there are professional and college teams, but they're not televised for the most part).

There is also something called Lacrosse which is mainly played by private schoolchildren (remember the sad incident which took place at Duke University in North Carolina [which probably has a yearly tuition bill between $25,000 and $40,000 U.S. dollars]; so Lacrosse and hockey (hockey is also played by private team organizations not affiliated with any school; also a small handful of public schools with a wealthy property tax basis have hockey teams) are the wealthy kid's sport, but there is also rowing, and probably at the nation's most elite eastern private schools (St. Paul's, Andover, Phillips-Exeter) they probably play rugby and cricket.

(Checked St. Paul's School [that's where John Kerry went to school]; no rugby or cricket; but they have Lacrosse)

Anyone in the the U.K. or Continental Europe play Lacrosse???

And what about golf?? It is big in the U.S. among the upper middle class and upper class; You'll find a lot of professional golf on network TV and there is a Cable (pay TV) 24 hour Golf Channel. There are loads of golf courses, both local government publicly owned (you still have to pay a small fee like $15.00 to $20.00 for 9 holes) and private Country Clubs, some charging $30,000 or more for a yearly membership. But golf doesn't have the mass appeal that baseball and football have. It is mainly a status sport played by businessmen and businesswomen.

Is golf big in the U.K.??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rugby in Ireland is on the up since the game has gone professional but still lacks behind other sports.

Biggest sports in Ireland

1. GAA
2. Football ( Soccer)
3. Rugby

In not sure about school Rugby in the south but in Northern Ireland its not well spread. There's two types of schools in Northern Ireland.

1. Grammer school - high achieving, Not private, requires higher grades.

2. Secondary school - usually in rural areas and in towns, rarely play rugby, but if so at a lower standard.

The huge and stupid problem in Northern Ireland is that Catholic schools don't play rugby due to a stupid idea its a Political even though in the south its played. I guess same could be said for Gaelic sports.

By generally Rugby is on the up at the schools and at the top. Ulster and Ireland games are always full.

Upvote 0