• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Kar98k vs Mosin Nagant

Karabiner K98: Slower round, although a fair bit heavier with more killing power. That is, a greater potential to get a one-shot kill.

Attaching the bayonet seems to have a marginally lesser effect on long range accuracy (Round will drift to the right very slightly).

Mosin-Nagant 1891/30: Lighter, faster round, flatter trajectory than the K98, longer bayonet range.

Shoulders slower, slower free-aim speed, shorter time to fatigue (Swaying).

Longer bayonet has a greater effect on long range accuracy (Round will drift slightly to the left).

To clarify, the difference in velocity of the rounds used in these rifle is very small, perhaps 30 Metres per Second.

This may not make a difference at combat ranges, usually less than 200 metres, but at longer ranges and for sniping purposes, the faster the round the better. It will require less leading and it enables the shooter to make shots on quick moving targets that wouldn't be possible with a slower round, like firing through windows and down hallways at targets that may be crossing.

I prefer the 91/30, for it's higher velocity round and the excellent bayonet range.

Upvote 0
For some reason I'm much better with Mosin-Nagant. I think it's the sights, they are much better than those wedge shaped sights on German weapons IMO.
This applies to reality as well :D

I think the Nagants handle better overall in the game, thought technically if it was to be totally realistic every so often your virtual soldier would have to flip his Nagant on its side and hammer away at the bolt to get it open.

Upvote 0
I find Russian sights easier to use overall. I can handle the German sights, but I find the sight picture for pretty much all of the German rifles obscures far more of the target. Some folks dig 'em, though. >shrug< I don't find much difference outside of that between the two. There might be marginal differences in how fast they shoulder, but you can always take one of the Russian carbines if you want a faster shouldering weapon for close quarters.

Upvote 0
I prefer the Mosin 91/30, although either of the Russian carbines is good in some situations.

Sometimes I do very well with the K98k, sometimes I suck with it (Sometimes I suck regardless of weapon:eek:). I think the sights on the K98 are harder to use in many situations. The rear sight blocks more of my vision than the Mosin, making it harder to see and/or lead targets. The front sight also tends to disappear in dark conditions. It's hard to aim precisely when you can't find the tip of the sight.

They're all good rifles but over time you'll probably get used to how one moves more than another. That one will become your favorite.

Upvote 0
This applies to reality as well :D

I think the Nagants handle better overall in the game, thought technically if it was to be totally realistic every so often your virtual soldier would have to flip his Nagant on its side and hammer away at the bolt to get it open.

Heh. That's only the case if you're shooting the damned Czech silver-tip ammo. Since I quit using it, I haven't had a single sticky-bolt problem. It's a combination of the laquer on the case, plus the case dimensions themselves, which are a hair larger (like .002-.003 inches in some dimensions) than standard.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use brass-cased or copper-washed steel-case ammo.

But yeah, you're right about the sights too - Mosin sights are a lot easier to look through. Only problem is that at long range, that fat front sight post can cover your whole target. A few weeks back I was shooting at coyote silhouettes with one of mine, and at ~400 meters, the front post was wider than the damn coyote was.

Upvote 0
IMHO the Nagant sights are a lot nicer for the reasons stated above. In the end it's probably because I play Russian more than German and to get good with the bolts you have to get an excellent feel for them and bolt-skill on the Nagant for hitting far away moving targets doesn't really transfer over to the kar98k.

Upvote 0
Heh. That's only the case if you're shooting the damned Czech silver-tip ammo. Since I quit using it, I haven't had a single sticky-bolt problem. It's a combination of the laquer on the case, plus the case dimensions themselves, which are a hair larger (like .002-.003 inches in some dimensions) than standard.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use brass-cased or copper-washed steel-case ammo.

God, I hate those Czech rounds. I never use the silver tip stuff anymore. It's not worth the frustration. :p

Upvote 0
God, I hate those Czech rounds. I never use the silver tip stuff anymore. It's not worth the frustration. :p

Sad, too, 'cuz outside of the Soviet 7N1 stuff, it's jsut about the most accurate milsurp 7.62x54R I've shot. These days I'm mostly using 70's-80's Polish steel core light ball in the 91/30's, and Albanian heavy ball in the carbines. The Hungarian 148 grain is good too, but stay the hell right away from the Bulgarian stuff from the 1950's. Really stretchy, yet brittle, cases. I've never heard anything good about it.

Fun fact: the PU scope's BDC is calibrated for 147 grain light ball.

Upvote 0
Both rifles come really close in the competition for me. For very prescise shooting/pixel hunting, I prefer the 91/30. For close/medium range shooting the Kar may shoulder faster, and that's very important IMO, which means you can bring down a nice shot quicker, which may cause more effectiveness. I still like the Mosin rifles though, and I use the m44 whenver I can.

Upvote 0