• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3....

"Its a role playing game, so your stats really matter".
I bet he thinks Diablo 2 is a role playing game too... He only talked about role playing in the context of using your stats in combat. Hello? That's not role playing!
Unfortunately he didn't say much else about Fallout 3 so that interview was kinda worthless, unless you enjoy watching someone who feels uneasy. All the information in the vid is that Fallout 3 will actually be technically more advanced than Fallout 1, which is of course a noteworthy achievement.:)

Upvote 0
There is one key facet to the original two Fallout games. They're simulators of a pen & paper RPG. That decision was made before a single detail about the setting or story was put into the design document.

*edit*
One thing I'm not worried about is VATS. Its still largely pen & paper, but instead of being SPECIAL-style turn-based its going to be simultaneous execution turn-based, similar to Twilight 2000. I'm alright with that.

This is what Fallout 3 was supposed to look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6epLShK3N0o&mode=related&search

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is one key facet to the original two Fallout games. They're simulators of a pen & paper RPG. That decision was made before a single detail about the setting or story was put into the design document.

This is what Fallout 3 was supposed to look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6epLShK3N0o&mode=related&search

Yeah I don't consider myself an RPG fanatic BUT despite that 2 RPG's which I thourougly enjoyed were FinalFantasy7 & Final Fantasy Tactics. In FF7 it was mainly the story and setting & atmosphere that I loved, in FFT it was the hardcore use of tactics that I loved. FFTactics was HARD! Most the time me and my group were on the brink of death each battle and just barely hanging on and I loved every minute of it. Fallout 3 has the graphics which is obvious to anyone that has at least 1 functioning eyeball but does it have the story & tactics??? VERY VERY DOUBTFULL. Probably just another pretty face (insert Ooooss! and Ahhhhs! here) with "air" in it's head. Well I can assure that I will try the demo first and if they don't release a demo then there will be no chance in hell I'll be buying it. People need to send companies a message if they are displeased and by giving in and buying their game you are just reinforcing what they do and helping nothing. They can put up with (and completely ignore) *****ing & moaning on forums as long as you buy their game they are happy. If you don't buy their game that's the only thing that will possibly make them think twice and change their tune about not caring about the true fans of the series.

Upvote 0
Its like the makers of COD trying to do Red Orchestra 2 and trying to make it appeal to that market (the core COD fans). COD is a much simpler game than RO and to make the COD guys buy RO2 you would have to make some changes to maximise profits wouldn't you?

Anyway I agree its pointless talking about it till a bit nearer the time..All we know is their release date is Fall 08, and given how games usually don't come out when they say (and how they can predict exactly how long it will take to finish I don't know..its just a guess atm) it could be out some time in '09..Just wait till its out and see how it is then..just don't get hyped and you won't be dissapointed :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Track records? And I wouldn't call myself optimistic nor pessimistic. I just don't like all this complaining and moaning. The game won't be out for the next 1,5 years for god's sake.
You are right the game could turn out amazing and stay true to all (or most) core game mechanics/themes of the originals but the signs don't appear promising that's all I'm saying. When I say track records I mean previous games done by bethesda. Morrowind was OK, it had some aspects that I liked alot (the ones I previously mentioned). Oblivion (from what I've heard since I never played it) was like Morrowind after it swallowed a bottle of "stupid pills" not to mention the wealth of info regarding dev comments/interviews which seem to reinforce what kind of game Fallout 3 will be. Will bethesda suddenly change their ways with this game? (I can't think of anything thus far that would make them do that) and make a hardcore, NO COMPRIMISES ADULT RPG with extreme, heavy emphasis on the RPG rather than the OMG graphics??? We'll see I guess.

Upvote 0

Were you one of the people that nailed Van Buren to the wall when it was new? Because the about-face on that project is absolutely hilarious.

EDIT: and http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=335...you really need to spend less time *****ing about "kiddy" and more time looking at Fallout. This is a game series that has things like "You shoot the female raider in the groin. She takes it like a man, which is to say it hurts" and character traits devoted entirely to showing the most gruesome death animations all the time (Bloody Mess).

The new game, by all accounts, is the same way. Instead of Bloody Mess, you have the slow-motion death scenes. Aimed shots to the crotch and eyes are still there. There's a quest that involves cold-bloodily blowing an entire TOWN to hell, and another that involves you being a slaver.

Upvote 0
EDIT: and Quietus...you really need to spend less time *****ing about "kiddy" and more time looking at Fallout. This is a game series that has things like "You shoot the female raider in the groin. She takes it like a man, which is to say it hurts" and character traits devoted entirely to showing the most gruesome death animations all the time (Bloody Mess).

The new game, by all accounts, is the same way. Instead of Bloody Mess, you have the slow-motion death scenes. Aimed shots to the crotch and eyes are still there. There's a quest that involves cold-bloodily blowing an entire TOWN to hell, and another that involves you being a slaver.
I just don't imagine bethesda releasing a game with controversial content in it like prostitution, drugs, STD's or whatever other unseemly things exist (and need to exist) in a post-apoc world. I just don't see them doing that. We'll see I guess, we'll see.

Upvote 0
If there included at all. Also theres a catapult... Which... Shoots... Nukes...

Come on, FO 2 had the Alien Blaster and Holy Hand Grenade (Holy Grail). Stop complaining about the damn Fatman. I find it pretty hilarious that the catapult has the same name as the second atomic bomb that was used in a war.

Now that I think of it... it isn't politically correct to add a weapon, that killed millions of people, into a game. ZOMG TEH CONTROVERSY!

Edit: the second nuke that was used, not first (that was Little Boy)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Come on, FO 2 had the Alien Blaster and Holy Hand Grenade (Holy Grail). Stop complaining about the damn Fatman. I find it pretty hilarious that the catapult has the same name as the second atomic bomb that was used in a war.

Now that I think of it... it isn't politically correct to add a weapon, that killed millions of people, into a game. ZOMG TEH CONTROVERSY!

Edit: the second nuke that was used, not first (that was Little Boy)
That's like having a Star Wars game where Jedi ride around on flying pink-and-purple striped zebras that leave a trail of polka dots and rainbows. By your logic, you should have absolutely no problem with it. So what if it isn't realistic, we're talking about a setting that has aliens, lightsabers, and the Force! It'll fit right in!

Upvote 0
That's like having a Star Wars game where Jedi ride around on flying pink-and-purple striped zebras that leave a trail of polka dots and rainbows. By your logic, you should have absolutely no problem with it. So what if it isn't realistic, we're talking about a setting that has aliens, lightsabers, and the Force! It'll fit right in!

So Alien Blaster and Holy Hand Grenade in FO 2 are realistic?

Upvote 0
Exactly. Such a game might be hella awesome, but why steal the "Star Wars" name to make more money with it although it clearly isn't "Star Wars"?
That's my only complaint. If they want to create a postapocalyptic Oblivion I'm the last to stop them. Oblivion is a good name for a postapocalyptic game anyway.;)

"Oblivion: Nuclear winter"

Sounds nice and it tells you what you are going to get.

*thinks* Maybe I should e-mail them... */thinks*

Upvote 0