• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Over 10 new maps and increased player limits for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

Oh boy, I hope this means that the avatar viewpoint has been moved from the top center of the helmet down to the right eye. That move of a few pixels down and to the side would make a big difference.
If it's the same fix that appears to be running on the TWB 50-man server, and it hasn't been updated or anything, then it doesn't appear to change the avatar's viewpoint, but does change the point from which the weapon fires, so you can lean and peak with relative safety, but should you fire from that position you'll hit whatever obstacle you're hiding behind, and in order to hit something from a leaning position you need a good few inches between your sights and said obstacle. As someone who plays mostly rifleman it's left me feeling much more vulnerable to enemy positons (mg's are something of a challenge now:eek: ).

(I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting that? please edit it out if that's the case:eek: )

Anyway, on the topic of the patch, nice work from all involved. The now official custom content all looks great and hat's off to their respective authors, and also to the TWI folks for giving so much support to their modding community, it would be nice to see more developers follow suit. Now, back to anticipating the update, I'm especially looking forward to the BT7 with it's meat-shield passengers, a novel and perhaps more effictive alternative to the P4-H's sch

Upvote 0
If it's the same fix that appears to be running on the TWB 50-man server, and it hasn't been updated or anything, then it doesn't appear to change the avatar's viewpoint, but does change the point from which the weapon fires, so you can lean and peak with relative safety, but should you fire from that position you'll hit whatever obstacle you're hiding behind, and in order to hit something from a leaning position you need a good few inches between your sights and said obstacle.

OH NO :eek:

Plz tell me thats NOT the fix.
All riflemen will become tankers by that- having to calculate the ballistic arch.:(

Upvote 0
It doesn't see quite that bad, it's just a case of moving to the left or right (whichever way you're trying to lean) by about a foot in order to find the spot you can fire effictively from, and on most occasions I find that by the time I've found that spot an accurate enemy rifleman that doesn't have a post/wall/whatever to block his shot has usually found me. Archs don't seem to come into it, merely an accurate reflection of sticking your head round a corner rather than the whole upper body.

Really it just makes leaning less of an advantage, useful for scouting rather than shielded-sniping as it's used at the minute:) .

On another subject, I'm curious as to whether tank crewmen can ride on the bt7? Or does the tank register as full when a third crewman tries to jump onboard? :confused: Granted they should be in one of their own, but sometime you find yourself in the situation where you're standing in an empty tank parking lot because some hasty solo tanker got away in a rapidly filling server, or maybe because the tank's respawn pool has run out, there's 3 tankers and 1 BT left and you just want to get to the front line to lend your TT33 to the defensive effort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question for the devs... will the weapons loadout be adjusted to the new player limits?, I mean, when I play in the 50 players server, I can never get other thing that Strelok
(class I do like, but I like playing with other classes too) and I dont seem to be able to load the map fast enough to get any other thing like in other servers

so, are the number of avtos/mgs/snipers etc going to be increased too?

Upvote 0
It doesn't see quite that bad, it's just a case of moving to the left or right (whichever way you're trying to lean) by about a foot in order to find the spot you can fire effictively from, and on most occasions I find that by the time I've found that spot an accurate enemy rifleman that doesn't have a post/wall/whatever to block his shot has usually found me. Archs don't seem to come into it, merely an accurate reflection of sticking your head round a corner rather than the whole upper body.

Really it just makes leaning less of an advantage, useful for scouting rather than shielded-sniping as it's used at the minute:) .
It sounds ok when you put it that way :rolleyes:
But when I have a clear line of fire I expect my bullet to go where my IS are, not in the wall I take cover with.
And it doesnt fix the gun in helmet thingy i.e. when a helmet shoots you, or even a full head but no gun and no hands....
This is a go around and not a fix, imo, if it really is THE fix.

Upvote 0
The reason why the bullets are impacting the wall when you lean on the 50 slot server is a code mismatch between the server and the client (server got the updated code, clients haven't yet). The new lean change... well its hard to explain with words, but it does require you to expose yourself more because the view has shifted and, as before, your bullets impact where you aim, not on the wall. It still works like before, really it will only take you a minute or so to get used to it.

Upvote 0
Ahhh

Ahhh

Thanks for clearing that up Byte Me, it sounds like a much better solution now (and I agree Jokerman, it does seem a little off when your bullets impact six inches to the left/right of the end of your rifle's barrel, although that being said I'd be prepared to accept even that if it lead to more effective/safer mgs). Still, seems like we get the best of both worlds this way, apparently accurate rifles nicely countered by the threat of accurate targets:D .

Upvote 0
The reason why the bullets are impacting the wall when you lean on the 50 slot server is a code mismatch between the server and the client (server got the updated code, clients haven't yet). The new lean change... well its hard to explain with words, but it does require you to expose yourself more because the view has shifted and, as before, your bullets impact where you aim, not on the wall. It still works like before, really it will only take you a minute or so to get used to it.

Good to hear.

But how do you know that? Beta testing?

Upvote 0
yes i am happy you gave the Russians a new tank :p i did hope it was more heavy then a BT7, ohh well aleast its a new tank:)

Remember that the BT7 was created specifically for the map 'Berezina'. With TWI taking on the map, they get the tank and AT gun to go with it. Then any mapper will now the ability to use the models as 'stock' content. Better than nothing especially for the early-war mappers.

Upvote 0
Remember that the BT7 was created specifically for the map 'Berezina'. With TWI taking on the map, they get the tank and AT gun to go with it. Then any mapper will now the ability to use the models as 'stock' content. Better than nothing especially for the early-war mappers.

True that and it will finaly open mapers for more tanks in early war maps. IE we now will have the KV-1. BT-7, and T-60. That should give mappers looking to make early war maps some more tank types to work with. That and the fact that we will get working player controled AT guns, and the BT-7 can have infantry on it's back is just another reason to spawn as infantry and not a tanker.

It will also give infantry added options and open up combined arms play. Also with more players per server if your server can handel it that is, we will no longer have the tankers VS infantry problems we have now. IE there will be a good number of infantry and tanks on the ground at the same time. It's realy going to change things for the better I think.

Upvote 0
So, the NM view, for what it's worth... The use of Steam for user-generated content is significant (although TWI probably had to do some heavy duty 'vouching for' to get it through). It is definitely in keeping with the initial philosophy of the company.

The upping of map limits officially is also significant as it signals to the community mappers to start upping player limits on their maps (or at least adding the possibility of increasing those limits). I have to say that, after playing on the 50-player server, I am not keen to play on 32-man servers so much any more. 50 player servers will almost certainly attract more new players and bring back some who have drifted.

The competition maps are being polished up - well that's good. I doubt that this means that, for example, all vestiges of THAT Arad grass texture :mad: and THAT sodding well mesh :mad: will be eradicated from every bloody map I see but probably things will work a lot better. I know that TWI have been riding the contest mappers hard to get their maps up to snuff.

The leaning bug gone? At last. Posts about that have filled the forum for so long that when it is gone I will almost miss it - imagine toothache that has been around so long it becomes like your friend... nah, I can't either. Good riddance leaning bug - burn in hell! :)

The BT-7 being introduced here kinda throws a spanner into the works of CC but wth - you started it, AHZ - ur baby I suppose. But Tank-riding?!?

I know AHZ had some debate about this and decided to go with it but, really!

A cavalry tank with riders? Tankoviy desant generally was used later (after the BT-7 was kinda phased out.) Plus, the speeds the BT-7 can get up to, even cross country, would mean the riders broke bones in their butts they never even knew they had.

Kudos to AHZ - it's great to use the BT-7 as proof of concept for tankriding but it should prolly have stopped there. The concept could then be applied to tanks that actually DID carry tankriders, like the T-34.

I know that all this was done in a way that means minimal TW resources were diverted from the Next Big Thing and, to my mind, that is good. Good because, no matter how much you polish up a UE2.5 game, it is always going to remain a UE2.5 game. It will soon be time to see what these guys can do with that fat, juicy UE3 license. :)

As far as I am concerned, TWI did not have to release another patch (except perhaps to keep a certain, low-level amount of revenue coming in from new players attracted by the releases) so it is obviously very welcome.

Upvote 0
Nestor, I don't understand this statement:
The BT-7 being introduced here kinda throws a spanner into the works of CC but wth - you started it, AHZ - ur baby I suppose
Is there something here you want to say? Say it and don't be so vague so we understand what you mean.

As far as riding on the back of a BT7
Bt7_6.jpg

Really

Lex

Upvote 0
I have a question for the devs... will the weapons loadout be adjusted to the new player limits?, I mean, when I play in the 50 players server, I can never get other thing that Strelok
(class I do like, but I like playing with other classes too) and I dont seem to be able to load the map fast enough to get any other thing like in other servers

so, are the number of avtos/mgs/snipers etc going to be increased too?
This was the point of Ramm's earlier post(s). We haven't just lifted an engine limit - that would be (relatively) easy, but rather a waste of time. What we are testing at the moment is settings for mappers to be able to set up one map, with different configurations that will cut in depending on the player count. So this means that the mappers will be able to allow for extra of various roles on larger servers, otherwise there would be a huge number of Streloks on some maps :)

Of course, this means that other custom content will need to be modified to make the best use of the new features, if the mappers feel like it... which of the custom maps would people like to see run with higher player counts?

Upvote 0