• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A letter to community.

Not dying as quickly as those you apologise to :D

JK - yes, it is rude and unforgivable to team-kill someone and not apologise. I have a theory that a lot of the people who do that are only very dimly aware that it is real people that they are doing this to.

To certain extent such people are 'lacking in affect', to coin a gruesome piece of psychobabble. That means they cannot imagine that any real, living, breathing, feeling person is on the receiving end of their actions. If you pull them up about it they react in a shocked fashion, like, "WTF? some buncha pixels is giving me a hard time!"

An 'apologise or boot' mut would not make people necessarily feel empathy for those that they teamkill but it would sure as hell make them go through the forms of politeness. If I am TK'ed, I would not usually care about the motives of the guy who did it when he apologises as long as I DID get an apology.

Such a mut would not prevent someone who enjoyed deliberately TK'ing - it would only slow them down enough to type in 'sry' but, for people who are just thoughtless, it would definitely remind them that they are dealing with other people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An 'apologise or boot' mut would not make people necessarily feel empathy for those that they teamkill but it would sure as hell make them go through the forms of politeness. If I am TK'ed, I would not usually care about the motives of the guy who did it when he apologises as long as I DID get an apology.
The MOD mutator with the big old red letters on your screen with both a message for the teamkiller and teamkilled did its effects as it warned you as a tker you could get the boot and kind of forced to you to apologize since you needed the person you teamkilled to type 'np' in order for your TK count to reset.

It was a pretty nice thing for the whole tk issue as far as the giving and receiving ends were concerned but I heard stories about it crashing servers. :(

Upvote 0
lol there's people right here on these forums who talk about this very issue who've Tked me- and I ain't heard any kind of apology.
But I like to presume that rather than being complete hypocrites, phaps they didn't notice. I may have unwittingly done this myself, and phaps this accounts for some of your bad experiences too, Maiornikov.

It's nice to get a word of apology, but although I sometimes take the piss out of my 'quiet' killer a bit, as long as it's wasn't deliberate, I'm not really bothered.

Upvote 0
That's the price we pay for a bigger community.
In BF2 nobody ever says sry for TK's. Just be happy that most do in RO. I get an apology 99% of the times I get TK'ed. But there is an admin on most of the time on the servers I play. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say that this thread is useless whining. More players means more asshats. And they dont read this forum anyway. I rather have more targets in my sight than an apology every time I get TKed. :eek:

Bingo!! We have a winner!!

:cool:

Upvote 0
It's nice to get a word of apology, but although I sometimes take the piss out of my 'quiet' killer a bit, as long as it's wasn't deliberate, I'm not really bothered.

I agree with dogbadger. Being TK'd is bothersome, but so is getting shot by the enemy and a lot of other things besides.

I was playing Minsk_Outskirts (I think that's what its called) a few days back as a russian. We'd managed to capture the two first objectives but the Germans were giving us a hard time in the village. I managed to reach the final cap two times, but on both times I was TK'd by the Russian assault gun firing on the house cap point with HE-rounds. It was extremely annoying, but I didn't think there was anything to apologise for. Fog of war and all.

Anyway, typing

Upvote 0
Indeed, I have killed teammates as well and others have killed me. Naturally, if it is possible, an appology would be typed. But, there are times when apologies can't be typed. (Especially in a hectic gunfight.) It's not a lack of politeness, but rather typing "sorry" every teamkill is perhaps a little redundant. It's understood that the person who shot you was sorry, unless they did it very often.

I personally take no offense if someone shot me and did not say "sorry" to me. A "sorry" is just a mere empty word that conveys nothing.

Upvote 0
lol there's people right here on these forums who talk about this very issue who've Tked me- and I ain't heard any kind of apology.
But I like to presume that rather than being complete hypocrites, phaps they didn't notice. I may have unwittingly done this myself, and phaps this accounts for some of your bad experiences too, Maiornikov.

Dude are you saying that i teamkilled you somewhere? If yes then i ALWAYS appologize via my mic.

Upvote 0
I always apologize after I team kill or team wound someone unintentionally and I want a quick sorry if I am team killed too.

Even if you don't care about team kills you commit, the killed comrade cares!
And its not much work to type a "sorry" or even a "sry".

Back when the game was still a mod, everyone (but a few die hard asshats) would apologize for team kills, even if the excellent sorry-mutator was not active. And almost everyone would type in a quick "np" in return.

Even if no one meant it, the fact alone that it was done was enough to make the whole game feel friendlier.

The old mutator doesn't work in Ostfront as it seems to crash servers, but we definately need a new one like that. It made the game a better place, and that's no exaggeration!

Upvote 0
Such a mut would not prevent someone who enjoyed deliberately TK'ing - it would only slow them down enough to type in 'sry'
No, no you got it all wrong! The mutator worked like this: *Some guy TK you* You then get a message to forgive the guy if you think it was an honest mistake or not "forgive Y or N" If you type "N" He's gone, bye bye ****er. Basically it holds every player accountable for their TK's and it was a genious mutator.

Upvote 0
I agree with dogbadger. Being TK'd is bothersome, but so is getting shot by the enemy and a lot of other things besides.

Sure, I agree with that totally.

I do admit to getting a little put out occasionally when it's a "no thought" tk. For example, one tk that has stuck in my mind, for some reason, was on Basovka. I was playing as the german sniper and I'm set up behind some obstacle, peeking around and shooting when I get shot in the back.

Now, the guy, to his credit, immediately apologized saying "I thought you were soviet". I couldn't stop myself from replying "Well, if I were, I'd have been on the other side of the obstacle, wouldn't I?". :)

But yeah, you can usually tell when it's an accidental tk.

Upvote 0
No, no you got it all wrong! The mutator worked like this: *Some guy TK you* You then get a message to forgive the guy if you think it was an honest mistake or not "forgive Y or N" If you type "N" He's gone, bye bye ****er. Basically it holds every player accountable for their TK's and it was a genious mutator.

No, you got it all wrong. Its not genious, it *****. It works like that in BF2, but 99% of the TK's is not forgiven, no matter the reason. Why would it be any different in this game? (ok, it might be different cause most ppl says sry)

This mut just give the asshats another way of being an ass. (run in front of your tank/arty/line of fire)

NO, NO, and another NO. We dont want **** like that. The one and only cure is admins.

Upvote 0
There is no point in arguing against it because we already saw it in action and it worked like a charm and it made the whole game a friendlier place for everyone.

Asshats can still be asshats, like you said they can run into your line of fire but so what? They can do this right now too!

The mutator DOES help, and even if it doesn't and deliberate asshats would still be 100% unstopped (which they wouldn't be of course) it would still change the mindset of regular people who say: "Yeah, I don't care for team kills, I just play on without saying sorry".
And even if all this mutator does is to re-invent the general widespread of the politeness to say "sorry" after an accidental team kill and to recieve a redeeming "no problem" the mutator would have already done more for the game than a new vehicle!

Upvote 0
Dude are you saying that i teamkilled you somewhere? If yes then i ALWAYS appologize via my mic.

no it wasn't aimed at you, or anyone - just an observation I've made that people that frequent these forums do this too (When it was previously implied that us forum members don't do that sort of thing)
I was hoping this is explained because sometimes TK's go un-noticed (I dunno maybe on a busy server like TWB50 the death message could disappear before you notice it?)
I mentioned your name because as the guy who raised concern over this, phaps you have been victim of when TKs and subsequent lack of apology were both accidental , but presumed the worst. I'm trying to cheer you up, mate.

However in the case of the guy who killed yourself for your rifle, you can't really expect an apology for that.
Unless of course you're after something like -
"I'm really sorry, I just can't help myself. I see something and I just have to have it - I was a spoilt as a child, sorry"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, you got it all wrong. Its not genious, it *****. It works like that in BF2, but 99% of the TK's is not forgiven, no matter the reason. Why would it be any different in this game? (ok, it might be different cause most ppl says sry)

This mut just give the asshats another way of being an ass. (run in front of your tank/arty/line of fire)

NO, NO, and another NO. We dont want **** like that. The one and only cure is admins.
This isn't BF2. The chances of you accidentally TKing someone and on top of that the person happens to be an asshat are pretty tiny. I wouldn't worry.

Upvote 0
Yeah, your right Quietus. This is'nt BF2, so we dont need any forced apology for TK's.

Like I said in my first post in this thread: I get a sry 99% of the times I get TK'ed. If dont get an apology I assume that he is under enemy fire. Why fix something that aint broken?

I think its great that most ppl says sry. The glass is not half empty, its half full.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0