• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Wild Bunch & Tripwire Interactive's 50 player test server

IMHO, in some maps, there are area / points in which an attack / assault cannot progress past, even when you don't have people standing around trying to pick stuff up. :rolleyes:
With 25 on each side, you get to the point where the concentration and depth of defenders means that the chances of getting past are pretty slim. Then factor in the time it takes to get re-spawned people back to the battle, and you have no chance.
There is a very good reason why you want at least a 3:1 advantage when attacking.
Options of course are to
  • Have uneven teams
  • Increase delays between spawning depending on current numbers of players (defenders only ?????)
  • Change the maps to elimate these areas (EDIT: to have 32 player and 50+ player versions)
Option 1 would add "realism", but auto-team picking would have to be enforced.
I prefer option 2, because it's scalable. And could probably be added to the map editor / SDK as a new choice.
But I also see option 3 being used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont think you should change the maps as eliminating these areas (usually choke points) would then break it for lower numbers of players.

The only real way forward is to only play maps that work with the numbers. One such map is zhitomer1940. That played very well at 50 players (except for perhaps the last objective).

But other maps especially combined arms do work with the larger numbers.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know, I did the engine sounds for it. :p the v-12 petrol raaawwwwwwksss (and the diesel aero-engine version is OK too - think race-tuned Junkers JuMo :))
[/totally shameless plug]

I was referring to the original BT7 model, which Lex donated to CC. It's undergoing some 'special' attention at the moment. Skin by EvilHobo. Hopefully it won't be held up too long and will debut with the 45mm and possibly the pak40 and Zis3.

Shot00242.jpg

Back on topic.

I would be interested to see how the reinforcement 'thing' is changing play on 'Berezina'. I don't have much time or luck catching it in rotation. Current levels are 600 German to 320 Russian. The final version I am toying with 500 to 350. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
The Scalable Re-inforcemants are making for much more intensive battles and for the most part are working very well.
You would need to contact RAMM to ask how he has set it up but as things are Berezina on 50 players is a marvelous map.

Much more intensive fighting for the objectives and People are beginning to employ some real CA tactics especially the Axis side.

BTW those additions in armour and artillery peices sound brilliant hope to see them soon:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is is based on the server player limit.

If it was set on actual player count it would cause too many problems.

aaah, good to know it!

Hmmm...isnt "sensless meat grinder" is the very essense of war? Arent you the one always demanding more realism?

yes, and in some way it is. But when so much action is going on your screen in such a short time and area, which can happen very fast on Lyskrovy, then it starts to make lags and other problems. Hard for defenders where the majority of them just is armed with nothing more then rifles. Just think about the command bunker, with constantly 30 people rushing for it after every spawn, the grenades flying around, smoke, mps and mgs ... lags like hell sometimes, even with already 32 players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some maps are just not going to work for 50 players, whether due to design or loadouts. The smaller maps have the obvious risk. Wide open maps are also at risk because so many players and weapon effects are in such small areas. The bigger maps may due better just due to players being spread around. Every mapper, TWI included, will have to decide if they alter maps to 50-player versions. In some cases, just removing or limiting grenades by class may help. In others, adding more assault/SMG roles will be necessary. It literally is going to be map by map, maper by mapper and of course server/community members deciding what to run and play.

Upvote 0
yes, and in some way it is. But when so much action is going on your screen in such a short time and area, which can happen very fast on Lyskrovy, then it starts to make lags and other problems. Hard for defenders where the majority of them just is armed with nothing more then rifles. Just think about the command bunker, with constantly 30 people rushing for it after every spawn, the grenades flying around, smome, mps and mgs ... lags like hell sometimes, even with already 32 players.

Well lags can really impend realism, but no as much as teleporting...Which happend to me in Lyes, but only when they tested 60 players. 50 worked just fine for me.

Upvote 0
I was amazed how smooth it ran. Unfortunately, the few rounds I got in were spent on smolensk, which is not a map I'm good on. And in case you all have forgotten, this is called testing, 50 players has to work, ping and FPS wise (and other stuff like packet loss, server load, etc.), before you can start putting more work into it. When the devs start asking questions about gameplay, then you can start talking about balance and whatnot. For right now, give comments on technical problems you may have encountered. I for one was surprised how rarely my FPS dropped to below 25, and when it did it was for a short time. My ping was a little over a 100, and every so often I got a spike. They don't last long but they always come at the worst time. Now that I'm done with this post, its time for me to get back in there and spam, spam, spam! :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bagged Komandir Otdeleniya on 50-man Basovka yesterday. Followed by Komandir Tanka on Bondarevo.

Never have I had so much fun with my clothes on. :D Bond saw me get a 17 kill run down the Russian right (I was hellaciously lucky - Pz IV shells were even defelecting off my rear :))

One thing I did notice is that, despite the carnage, the reinfs weren't even close to running out on Basovka so I think that maybe there is 'over-compensation' for 50 players on that map.

I think mappers and, in particular, add-on teams are going to need to know something about what TW are going to do with this discovery that 50-man servers work. I feel like I am not even sure whether I should make current maps for 32 or for 50 players. Maybe a different option for each? Some clarification in the near future would be very much appreciated.

Upvote 0
My personal opinion is that mappers should look to make different versions as the same map will often play completely differently on a 50 as opposed to a 32.

Maybe those who have already made maps could look at *Special Edition* versions?
It is a tricky thing to judge without a modder or mapper actually playing on the server and seeing for themselves the difference it makes to some maps.

TWI are collating the info now on resouces and gameplay with a great deal of help from everyone who is playing on the server and posting here, so hopefully something will be released soon to help both Admins and Modders/mappers with this new jump forward.:)

Upvote 0
TWI are collating the info now on resouces and gameplay with a great deal of help from everyone who is playing on the server and posting here, so hopefully something will be released soon to help both Admins and Modders/mappers with this new jump forward.:)

..hope TWI is looking also for competetive (clanwars) side of this since that is TOTALY differnet story when it comes to gameplay...

Upvote 0
..hope TWI is looking also for competetive (clanwars) side of this since that is TOTALY differnet story when it comes to gameplay...

There is a thread running in the Dedicated Server Support section.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6475 and the devs have promised to look at what can be implemented on that list.

I do believe a match mode option has been asked for on that list:)

Upvote 0
Has TWB considered trying the mutator that limits long-running maps to a single round (as used by the 44-slot Russian server)? I love 50-player Berezina - I mean , seriously love, in an unhealthy way :D - but not two or three times in a row. Once is plenty IMO, as with Gorlitz and a few other maps that run for the best part of an hour.

Also is it possible for the map start delay be increased slightly? It seems to be set pretty low at the moment - I've noticed a few maps where objectives are already being contested before half of the players have loaded in.

Upvote 0
At the moment the server is running under TWI's Control and they are in charge of what goes on it.
TWB are assisting in that process and also helping with the Admin of the server and supplying some of the feedback with regard to the resources a 50 player server needs to run smoothly.

But once the code is released to everyone TWB will be at liberty to install preferences of our own and yes the round mutator is something we are considering but then again I have no idea what other options TWI may include for Admins in the booster pack.
These guys never cease to amaze me with their support for this game so anything is possible :D

The start delay has now been extended to compensate for early joiners getting the upper hand.

Upvote 0