• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

Is it me or is the AI not that good? I like the way some animals will only attack in packs, but the humans seem nearly as bad as RO bots. They get stuck and bunch up all the time, seem to have their guns pointing at you as soon as you come out of cover (eventhough they shouldn't know you were there), they can see you through walls (and shoot through some eventhough they should have no idea you're there).

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention- metro is a book adaptation, I didnt read it but it supposed to be a cult classic in Russia. So the devs has a hard 'coded' referance material and the story will not lack.

So is STALKER, to a certain extent. It was based on the novel Roadside Picnic. The "golden sphere" becomes the wish-giving Monolith.

Upvote 0
Got it today and I want it to work perfect before I delve-
So far it runs surprisingly sluggish on my 8800GTS (the 320M ver). I fiddeled around with res, shadows and stuff and got improvement but not major and anyway I kinf of hoped it will run well on the highest settings.

Im using the nov06 driver (I dont remember the serial # and Im at work ATM), d'you think it'll help to update to the jan07 one?
I hesitate because all my other games are running fine at max and like my granpa said- if it aint broke etc.

Upvote 0
I think you could try putting your things into some chest or stashes, it is more possible that they will lie there. But I don't do that, I either sell it to traders or i keep them with me.
Yeah I'll probably just sell excess gear so I don't have to worry about stash raiders or disappearing stuff.
Bolt said:
Chicky briky is a slang, meaning "everything's cool".
Ah, thanks, funny stuff.

Some more stuff that cracks me up is that guy on the loudspeaker in Cordon constantly saying the funniest stuff, he sounds like "truimph the insult comic", lol. Also "STALKER" energy drink! hahahahahaha! They need to make that for real and I'll buy it, lol. Good stuff.

Upvote 0
So far it runs surprisingly sluggish on my 8800GTS (the 320M ver). I fiddeled around with res, shadows and stuff and got improvement but not major and anyway I kinf of hoped it will run well on the highest settings.

I'm using the 8800GTS 640MB and I've come to the point where I'm getting less than 1 frame per second, on the lowest settings. It was doing fine before but now it's gone slideshow on me.

Upvote 0
I'm using the 8800GTS 640MB and I've come to the point where I'm getting less than 1 frame per second, on the lowest settings. It was doing fine before but now it's gone slideshow on me.

Ive read somewhere a description of the same problem and its solution- supposedly, its something of a memory leak and all you should do to fix it when it happens is to ALT+TAB your way out and then back in.

Hope it works for you. And before that you ran everything in max and all was fine an' dandy?

Upvote 0
I used to have severe FPS problems, but I realized one thing. The graphics settings don't change until you exit the program entirely and restart. Nothing will change even if you reload the game. It took me a few days to figure this out, but now its running fine for me on Medium, and it still has graphics on par with the latest Source engine releases. Default settings are on Medium I believe.

And David, the weapons were meant to be that accurate. Turn on the crosshair ranges to see how far you're firing. You're not getting an accurate pistol shot at 75 to 100 meters. And add to this the fact that you're a survivalist, not military. If you want a bit more accuracy, try grouping your shots into two or three round bursts. Its not more accurate necessarily, but you have a better probability of a hit. And with most pistols, you'll have enough ammo to blindfire as much as you want.

Upvote 0
The thing that is killing the game for me is the weapon accuracy. It's stupidly innacurate. I've actually uninstalled it because of this. Hopefully someone will make a mod or it will be adressed in a patch.

I guess i have been spoiled by RO's accurate guns
Yeah I'd love to eventually see a realism mod for STALKER where guns have RL accuracy & the bullet damage is based on the bullet fired and not the gun that fired it *silly tsk tsk*. And also eliminate the "magic zoom" in ironsight mode. I have doubts though that there are other STALKER fans out there that would want (or are even thinking of) making the guns ultra realistic. But I'm fine with it as it is because STALKER has so much going for it I'm not terribly bothered by its less than realistic gun behavior. But I would suggest for you to keep playing as the guns do get more accurate as you progress. I'm not even that far yet + I restarted because of patch and there are already some fairly accurate rifles to obtain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Play double damage and download the weapon mod tool off of the STALKER boards.

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Reality_Enhancement_Mod_v1;77309x#1186995
Try that on for size. Not my cup of tea, though. I personally think that it should take half a dozen or so pistol shots to the chest to bring a man down. Underneath that hoodie or leather jacket is some body armor. Read the item descriptions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Play double damage and download the weapon mod tool off of the STALKER boards.

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Reality_Enhancement_Mod_v1;77309x#1186995
Try that on for size. Not my cup of tea, though. I personally think that it should take half a dozen or so pistol shots to the chest to bring a man down. Underneath that hoodie or leather jacket is some body armor. Read the item descriptions.
Ok that's definitley going in a direction I like for the most part but I some things I don't like/ have doubts about how well thought out they are. I agree with what you say: This is the future,.. guys are wearing various grades of body armor, 9mm, 45cal pistol/SMG ammo isn't going to penetrate higher grade armor unless you sit there all day and empty an entire bucket of rounds into the armor. So I don't like this simply "doubling the damage". How about make it realistic where using pistols/SMG's against heavily armored foes is equal to suicide? Isn't modern day armor able to stop an AK47 (possibly AK74) round? I don't like the rash "O this is too hard, let's just amp up the damage all around". I don't know, maybe the mod creator really did make it ultra realistic and "cover all the bases" and I'm just jumping to conclusions with my doubting. Anyway, I'm too enthralled with the game as is so I'm not going to try it until I've finished the game once.

Upvote 0
I just had to stop playing because I got scared :(

Damn underground lab...
lol! Nothing can scare me. The more scary the better in my book. But I'll agree STALKER can be ****ing creepy & frightening as hell which is most welcome be me. It's pretty amazing the vast differences in environment all in one game (and I'm not very far into it). Maybe one day a game will be made that will be so terrifying that all most people can do is sit at the starting point and huddle in a ball in the corner and pray for your life to be spared, then you return the game with the excuse "too scary" hehe. Then have RL nightmares (or not sleep at all) for many weeks after. I'm a sick nut I know.

Upvote 0