• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWI related movie thread

I read the thread about the WWI mod (and some other WWI related threads) and got the impression that the RO community is in general into movies and history.

I assume that everybody here knows tons of WWII war movies but good movies about WWI are rare.

Anyways in this thread I want to recommend WWI war movies (and hear about your opnions and what movies do you know and recommend).
(I put this in the podium because lots of this movies are extremly fictional and perhaps we can help the modmakers)

Here we go

The Lost Battalion - a good war movie
All Quiet on the Western Front old version, must see
All Quiet on the Western Front new version
Legends of the Fall - it has some small WWI scenes but its not a war movie
Paths of Glory - old and boring
"The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" - Its an odd series but the WWI scenes are well done
Gallipoli - classic, do I have to say more?

The English Patient... amirite? :confused:

Johnny Got His Gun - Jason Robards is the Overly Patriotic Father to a young man seeking adventure and right of passage in No-Mans Land. He is struck by a shell, has his face, arms and legs blown off. He is kept alive as a sort of vegetable... but he is fully conscious in his own personal Hell.

^ Metallica used footage for the ONE Video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always recommend Westfront 1918. Its a german movie but it can be found on ebay with english subtitles. Many of the actors were WWI vets. It came out about the same time as All Quiet On The Western Front. It has scenes that show the civilian side like the food shortages and a soldier coming home on leave from the front catching his wife cheating on him. Seems to be mostly historically accurate but I cant identify the french tanks used in one of the attacks.

Upvote 0
I could have sworn I saw someting about a new Gallopili movie a year or so back. I'll see what I can do to find it.

Edit: found it, but turns out it was an artsy like movie, not much action or anything.
But I did come acroos a mini series called ANZACS, made in 1985 though, not sure how good it is or anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd recommend Officer's Ward, a recent - 2001 I think - French film dealing with WWI.

Don't expect anything even remotely frontline orientated though ( the likes of 'The Lost Batallion' etc...) In fact, I think it may even have less portrayal of combat than 'A Very Long Engagment.' However, if you have the patience, it's a rewarding film with a central focus on 'les gueles cass

Upvote 0
i remember Legends of the fall, i saw it ages ago when i was much younger...
i can still remember one scene where a brother gets blinded and he falls down into barbed wire but he cant find a way out, and in the end he gets shot by germans i believe... then the other brother who was out searching for him saw all this, and he went berzerk and went and killed all the germans, and he cut out either the heart or brains of his brother and he took it with him...
later on in the tent he played with it ( kind of, at least ) in his hands...
that totally freaked me out for days, and i think its one of the moments where i thought like, damn, war is hell and it ****s for the soldiers who had to go through all of that ****.
scenes like that got my interest, into the drama and hell of war, into being a soldier and having to do stuff like that. it grew great respect in me for every soldier.

also, All quiet on the Western Front is a great movie too.

Upvote 0
I love it when modern times meet history (look at her arm)
redbaron.jpg

The planes look sweet could be an interesting movie.

Upvote 0
I'd agree with those voicing opinions for Paths to Glory as not old and boring. It's just a film that isn't designed for the modern 5 second attention span audience. I like the older films where you aren't expected to be entertained at 5 minute intervals with action, or spoon fed the story in neat little lumps. I prefer the old style of a slowly unfolding plot that travels at it's own pace and answers questions and gives you information only when you really need it, or allows you to piece it together yourself.

Btw has anyone mentioned Deathwatch? The WWI Horror film

Or The Trench? Not very good but it's watchable

I enjoyed Regeneration, it may not feature much front line action but it does tell another important story, about sigfried sasoon and those who were damaged mentally rather than physically

I'd also voice my support for all quiet on the western front, the old one i know is the one you are meant to like, but i prefer the 70s version in colour. Then again my uncle was director of photography so I am biased.

Upvote 0