• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROplanes:plane models

TT33

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007
I have a Me-109 Gustav as well as an IL-2 somewhere although they need a bit of finishing up. Just posting to know if anyone knows how to code an aircraft realistically for RO or if anyone is willing.:)

Last edited:
How would they be used?:

Fighters go after enemy fighters or possiably ground targets depening on what your fighter is armed with.
Tankbusters such as the Hs-129 go after tanks.

I dont want to cheapen airforce support to meer artillery I would very much like to have actual flying planes if possible.
I agree the default maps are too small for airforce flying around so it would be smart not to add them to small maps just to large ones such as Orel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it can be done with the new 4km view distance but its a hell of a lot of work but even then you have significant problems...yeh u can get 4km view distance but if a plane reaches the edge it will look crap etc i brainstormed this idea out with a load of people a few months ago we came up with 50 or so issues to get it running smoothly even after, coding, models,textures and animation are taken into consideration.

Upvote 0
You could definitely make a map big enough to have planes now that the view distance can go all the way out to 4000 meters. Planes definitely wouldn't work with any existing map, but a new map could be made. As far as realistic planes, you better go hire some aerospace engineers or the company that made IL2 to make your mod :) Realistic planes would be pretty hard to do without a ton of work and aeronautical knowledge. You could probably get something fun and semirealistic pretty easily though.

As far as on call air support is concerned, there wasn't really any on the Eastern Front. Almost all airstrikes were pre-planned. You could do it anyway just for fun, but it wouldn't be strictly realistic.

Upvote 0
Aircraft would not ruin the game! It would expand it in a new direction which would enhance game play as a whole.

Unrealistic balance ruins the game.

Aircraft would require a MEGA amount of work to get to the same realistic standards as we see in RO!

Thats why I would prefer a "flyby" from a mod team which adds atmosphere but DOES NOT detract from realism.

Upvote 0
You could definitely make a map big enough to have planes now that the view distance can go all the way out to 4000 meters. Planes definitely wouldn't work with any existing map, but a new map could be made. As far as realistic planes, you better go hire some aerospace engineers or the company that made IL2 to make your mod :) Realistic planes would be pretty hard to do without a ton of work and aeronautical knowledge. You could probably get something fun and semirealistic pretty easily though.

As far as on call air support is concerned, there wasn't really any on the Eastern Front. Almost all airstrikes were pre-planned. You could do it anyway just for fun, but it wouldn't be strictly realistic.

ROPLANECRAFT is broken. So it's more difficult than you make it sound. (the unrealistic flight model would have to be built from the ground up)

If you WANTED to fix the RO/ONS-planecraft you have to change lift to work through the Z of the craft instead of the world Z.

Upvote 0